which new rod(s)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which new rod(s)?

Last summer I had some great sessions LRF fishing and float fishing. More than half the time I blanked, but I still enjoyed sitting on the rocks in the sun or hanging over the pier railings, and when I did get a bite it was more fun than reeling in a beachcaster.

Near the end of the summer I snapped the tip on my Rockfish UL, I didn't bother replacing it because it was coming onto the winter; but now the weather is getting better I'm starting to get the bug again.

I was mostly using 3g lead heads with Isome, but a lot of the time I was having to add one or two 1.6g shot to the line as well to keep the wind from lifting it. So I'm thinking about getting something a bit heavier than the 0.5-7g Rockfish. I would like to use the same rod for light float fishing as well, and with a drop shot rig, and with small metal lures/spinners.

Can anyone recommend a rod around 5-10g upto about 30g with a sensitive/responsive tip? I know that the best idea would be to get an LRF rod and a light spinning rod but I would rather just have one to do it all.

The bushwhacker 10-40g seems to be the go-to rod for light lure fishing but I don't know if that will be too heavy to have the same feel that my Rockfish had when bouncing an Isome on the bottom?
    Last edited by andyco; 13-04-2014, 02:08 AM.
    Ron Thompson Axellerator 13’ - Penn Spinfisher 7500
    Daiwa Seahunter Z Spin 10’ - Penn Battle II 4000
    Savage Gear Bushwhacker 8’ - Shimano Ultegra 2500

FLOUNDER, SEA SCORPION, COLEY, MACKEREL, LAUNCE, WEEVER, SHORE ROCKLING, POLLOCK, BLENNY, DAB, WHITING, COD, 5B ROCKLING, PLAICE, DRAGONET, EELPOUT, COMMON EEL, THORNBACK RAY, BALLAN WRASSE, CORKWING WRASSE, TOPE, GREY GURNARD, DOGFISH, TADPOLE FISH, TURBOT, SMOOTHOUND, BASS

It defo will feel heavier mate than the rockfish but I think to cope with the floats and spinners it is a good option ...
    "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
    PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

There's a 7ft bushwhacker that lighter than the one I got. I think it casts up to 30g
      All the gear, no idea.

Comment

I got the 3 in the range of rockfish rods, the m being the heaviest gram rod. I am using this for wrasse and pollack this year as it's more than up to the job .

Comment

I had a Rockfish M and it was brilliant, it cast 5g jigs a mile however it felt a bit weak at chucking a 28g zen but it did. I caught numerous pollock up to 7lb and it and it was great fun and can highly recommend it as an "all lure weight" rod.

I snapped the Rockfish and replaced it with the 7ft Bushy which chucks 30g no bother, and 7g jigs a mile, but it's too stiff and lacks a bit of sensitivity for lrf because it has a hollow tip, but it's still my "go to" rod for heavier lures ( i never fish heavier than 30g) and float fishing.

For everything lighter than 28g, down to about 3g, i use a Major Craft Crostage PE 8ft which has a really sensitive tip but stiff enough for heavier work. Highly recommended!

Hope this helps.
          http://www.slippylimpets.uk/

Comment

Working...
          X