Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which braid ?

Hey all,
    I'm wanting to change from normal line to braid on my spinning set up. I've never used braid before so I'm unsure what to buy. Also I hear you have to use a fluorocarbon leader too. Just wondering if anyone can suggest a brand, what strain to use for fluoro and braid???
    I'm going to be targeting pollock/mackerel and the like. I'm using 9ft spin rod and fixed spool.
    Thanks for any advice.

If I were you I'd get some of the Chinese braid off eBay, takes a couple weeks to come but is well worth it for the price

Comment

Also depends what weight lures etc you're planning on using as to which breaking strain to get

Comment

Hi mate, this is going to generate a few responses I would imagine. There is a lot of choice around at the moment and new products coming out all the time. Braid can be very cheap and also very expensive dependant on your preferences, but like most things in consumer life you get what you pay for and quality comes at a cost. I've tried a number of different manufacturers and was using Daiwa's range of Tournament 8 strand braids for quite a while and they were very good. However, last year I switched to YGK G-Soul WX8 (20lb #1.2PE) for Bass / Pollack / HRF set-up and there was a noticeable difference for me in the feel of the line. For LRF fishing I use Sunline Small Game 0.3 PE around the 4-6lb mark. For a leader I use Sunline fluorocarbons or Yuki invisible Fluorocarbon. The leader used for Lure fishing is not a traditional shock leader like in general shore-fishing or bait-casting, but used for two reasons. One, to protect your braided mainline from abrasion and damage and secondly and probably more importantly to 'visually disconnect' your lure from the mainline as Fluorocarbons are apparently close to invisible underwater so as not to be noticed by your intended prey.
        It takes a little getting used to when fishing with braid, but once you change, you probably won't go back.
        I would suggest that if your trying Braid for the first time or do not use it that frequently then maybe go for something like Spiderwire, Power-Pro, Stren or Berkeley Whiplash / Fireline.
        Hope this helps
        Regards
        Si

www.facebook.com/simon.todd.12

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/lure-fishing/

Comment

You have also got the option of berkeley nano fil expensive but very nice to use. Thinner than braid for b.s. and will cast as far as you have to

Comment

As already mentioned the fire line and power pro are excellent braids . I had problems with the whiplash snapping to easily and one of my friends Tryed the nanofill and had problems with knot strengths . When you get started with braid always keep it tight on your spool by pulling a few inchs of line of against the drag after every cast , doing this will help to prevent against wind knots ,

Comment

Tryed the nanofill and had problems with knot strengths

You get a list of knots ie: to use with leader and direct connection to swivel. I have settled on the sokkou knot for leader and a double turn palomar knot when direct to swivel. ....no problems as yet

Comment

I posted this a while back about braid,

I now have Power Pro on all my spinning reels, my boat reel and my beach casting multiplier.
                Happy to help, Keen to learn!

Fishing marks Seaham - Lynemouth
                http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...!467&encType=1

Fishing Marks Lynemouth - North
                http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.asp...!739&encType=1

Popular lure Marks

Comment

That's great lads, thanks v much.
                  Think I'll try the fire line. I don't mind if it's expensive as I'd rather pay for something that will last.
                  That's a great idea changing the split rings on the bottom of lures. Kind of a rotten bottom for lures.
                  So if I'm fishing north east eyemouth/st abbs rock marks what would you suggest, 20lb braid , 20 lb leader???
                  Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by craigmlormor View Post
                    That's great lads, thanks v much.
                    Think I'll try the fire line. I don't mind if it's expensive as I'd rather pay for something that will last.
                    That's a great idea changing the split rings on the bottom of lures. Kind of a rotten bottom for lures.
                    So if I'm fishing north east eyemouth/st abbs rock marks what would you suggest, 20lb braid , 20 lb leader???
                    Thanks again.
                    I would go with a 15-18lb leader on 20lb braid, that way if you get snagged you should loose the leader and not your braid.
                    Happy to help, Keen to learn!

Fishing marks Seaham - Lynemouth
                    http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...!467&encType=1

Fishing Marks Lynemouth - North
                    http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.asp...!739&encType=1

Popular lure Marks

Comment

I've got some of the spider braid but also bought a cheap spool of Chinese stuff last year and found that it was perfectly fine and very cheap. Had no issues with it at all... As Si said you get what you pay for usually but if your not sure on braid the Chinese stuff will let you know if its worth investing in some better quality gear without breaking the bank
                      "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
                      PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Great . Thanks for the advice lads

Comment

Originally posted by phill_itofish View Post
                          I would go with a 15-18lb leader on 20lb braid, that way if you get snagged you should loose the leader and not your braid.
                          I personally wouldn't want to loose the leader with an expensive bass lure attached to it. Most of my lure fishing is over shallow, rocky and weedy areas where the lure can often get caught. To stand a chance at getting my gear back i use 30lb braid and a 25lb fluorocarbon leader.

Comment

I use sunline castaway 20lb. Whatever braid you decide to get here's something to help avoid the dreaded wind knot.

After your cast always manually close the bail and pull the line just in front of the line roller before you start to retrieve. Sometimes you'll end up with a loose loops of braid after the cast and this way you always pull it out. You'd never notice it if you turn the handle to pop the bail over and next cast, chances are, your going to have a problem.

After a very short time doing this every cast, it becomes second nature.

Comment

Berkley whiplash is my favourite then power pro.
                              If it's for lighter applications up to 20lb then I've been using the fox stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X