Which rod??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which rod??

Hi all. After snapping my spinning rod, I'm after a new one. I was thinking of getting something with a bit more poke. I was wondering if a 10' bass rod would be any better. Gonna be spinning for pollock up in eyemouth. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I could go for? Also wondered if I was to go kayak fishing would I need a boat rod??
    Cheers all.

Originally posted by craigmlormor View Post
    Hi all. After snapping my spinning rod, I'm after a new one. I was thinking of getting something with a bit more poke. I was wondering if a 10' bass rod would be any better. Gonna be spinning for pollock up in eyemouth. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I could go for? Also wondered if I was to go kayak fishing would I need a boat rod??
    Cheers all.
    Hey Mate, I would first say a bass rod is a bit heavy even if you got a massive pollock a normal rod will hold up fine (I had a 3.5lb pollock on my 2-8 gram LRF rod).

I personally use a travel version of the bush wacker (road runner) by savage gear and have no faults with it. obviously there are more expensive rods that are specific for plastics or for dropshot but if you vary your style a lot I would look at a well rounded rod like the SG bushwacker.

Regarding the kayak fishing, I don't do it but I'm under the impression that some use boat and some used a spinning rod, I think its more preference and weight your wanting to jig.

Carl
    Species: Cod, Bass, Coalie, Flounder, Dab, Rockling, Mackerel, Plaice, Pollock, Ballen Wrasse, L/S Scorpion, Common Blenny, Weaver (unfortunately), Whiting, Common Eel, Trout, Pike... think that's it

Comment

Originally posted by craigmlormor View Post
      Cheers all.
      I would look for something with a casting weight of 10-40g as carl said the Savagear Bushwacker are cracking rods.

As for Kayak rods, i often take my Bushwacker on the kayak for spinning but tend to use a Rovex Integra Gold for vertical jigging. The a nice light little rod so good fun to play the fish with and a bargain at £25
      Happy to help, Keen to learn!

Fishing marks Seaham - Lynemouth
      http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...!467&encType=1

Fishing Marks Lynemouth - North
      http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.asp...!739&encType=1

Popular lure Marks

Comment

Originally posted by SnaggedUpLad View Post
        Hey Mate, I would first say a bass rod is a bit heavy even if you got a massive pollock a normal rod will hold up fine (I had a 3.5lb pollock on my 2-8 gram LRF rod).
        Totally agree, bass rods way too heavy for spinning metal spinners and SP IMHO, I would put a bass rod in the same category as a light estuary or flatty rod for light beach fishing or float/feather fishing.

I caught a 4.10lb pollock on my 7-28g LRF and got to say its the best fun I've ever had playing it in. I've also got a Sakura Sportism 15-40g spinning rod and even that feels a bit heavy and over kill to me, but its fine for heavier metals. Both my rods are 8' and I find that a perfect length for a spinning rod.

Comment

Working...
        X