Braid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braid?

Having already tried fishing with braid, I'm pretty much convinced it's good, particularly for the lure fishing, as you really can feel every little knock, nibble and grab when retrieving.

Thing is, so far I've used two types;

Firstly, a cheap chinese 30lb test, which makes an awful twanging and grating sound when retrieving ( I noticed that others are having the same experience on the pier the other week!) ) this stuff also leaches dye and the colour actually seems to wash out of it in use!-not a major issue but an obvious indicator of poor quality.

Then, I tried some "Matt Hayes" branded stuff from Boyes in 20lb test. This cost me about £9 for (I think) apx 200m -quite a bit of money to me, for what is after all a consumable. That said, it was more or less silent in use although the colour washed out of this stuff as well, looking like it had been bleached after a couple of sessions.

This stuff was pretty good but didn't last long, with what seemed like only a few inadvertent scuffs on the wall of the pier, being enough to weaken it to the point of breakage and loss. Using it for spinning off rocks would presumably shorten it's life even more.

I've since received some more cheap chinese stuff in 20lb test which I haven't had the chance to try yet.

So, what do you lot use and why?

cheers

Steve

I use whiplash most of the time although I have got a big bulk spool of 44lb power pro also which was £120 from gerrys a while back. The reason I use the whiplash is because it is the lowest diameter and the best what I gather. I have used the 50lb spectra and once you use the whiplash or power pro you can tell the difference either way. You will get plenty of use out of it also if you buy say 300 yards of whiplash, my uncle still uses the same one he has had on for a long time now with no problems at all.
    Century Eliminator T900
    Century Eliminator T800
    Century Tip Tornado Sport
    Shimano Technium MGS XS-B x 2
    Penn Spin Fisher 7500LC x 2

Comment

try Real Sports G-Soul Upgrade X8 off ebay its the best we have come across

Comment

You can't go wrong with Power Pro.
        Happy to help, Keen to learn!

Fishing marks Seaham - Lynemouth
        http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...!467&encType=1

Fishing Marks Lynemouth - North
        http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.asp...!739&encType=1

Popular lure Marks

Comment

I've been using 30lb whiplash crystal this year. I'll probably get 3-4 spools with a bit backing line. Only had to refill once this year so far.
          All the gear, no idea.

Comment

Thinner braid will give better casting distance, go for something around pe 1.2. X8 upgrade is probably the bast bang for your buck 8 strand out there.

Comment

If your using a mono rubbing leader your braid shouldn't be getting bashed about on piers etc and being weakened. I've had the same braid on my lure rod for 3yrs now. Barely lost any of it and certainly haven't had it weakened.... Obviously lose the odd leader though but hey, that's what it's for!

Power pro seems to be a go to braid mate, worth the ££
              "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
              PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Remember Steve, there's nothing stopping you taking the braid off and re-loading it the other way around. That way you essentially get virgin braid to use for another year or 2. This makes spending £20-£30 on a spool a lot more bareable.

Comment

Power pro for me awesome stuff, I use it on all my bait rods and lure rods.
                  I look at the diameter as appose to breaking strain.
                  Last edited by Jimk2; 15-02-2016, 06:36 PM.

Comment

the lighter braids,50lb and under have much less abrasion resistance
                    Last edited by lingking; 02-03-2016, 07:31 PM.
                    AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

I'm not concerned so much with abrasion resistance when lure fishing on freshwater, more the strength to pull out of snags.

Comment

+ 1 for power pro. I've been through a lot of 4 and 8 strand and always go back to power pro. The others are good but I hardly ever get wind knots with power pro and its a good all rounder.

The silky smooth 8 strands are good when extra distance is important but when 50-60 meters is all you need power pro will do the job as good as any 8 strand.

If you want a good value for money 8 strand try Suffix 832. I found G-Soul Upgrade X8 great braid to use but not so good re breaking strain and abrasion resistance.

Comment

Never came across braid that makes me it's all a trade off one way or another

Comment

Working...
                          X