Winter LRF'ing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter LRF'ing

Just wondering if anyone has tried LRF style fishing in the Winter?

I have heard that it can be quite successful. With this in mind I popped down Sunderland Marina on Friday morning to field test my new Major Craft Zaltz Rod.

It was absolutely baltic on Friday morning so I suspected that if there were going to be any fish it would be the slow and patient approach. I took a selection of Aqua baits as I thought these would provide the most interest as they are packed with amino acids and would provide a scent trail in the murky waters.

Look good enough to eat themselves! Two colours of 2" straw tail grubs and two packets of Isomes, I wanted to try a couple of different types and knowing that I wouldn't use many at all so I stored them in he Aqua-stocker tub to keep fresh and store safely.

I had a few casts amongst the boats in and around the Jetty's with little interest so I moved round to the public slipway area. I found the rod to be extremely light and ultra fast, it was a pleasure to use and you could feel everything the jig head was bouncing across and at just under 7ft it made control of jig-head very easy indeed.

With little interest using the grubs, I changed to some pink Isomes and fished them dead with no action, letting the water do the work, immediately I was receiving nibbles, bites, small tugs so I knew there was something down there! Couldn't connect for buggery though and whatever was down there was managing to knick the worms of the jig head without getting hooked! A few more stolen worms later I decided to call it a day.

The thing is with LRF, it's amazing what you can learn in an hour. I may not have caught anything this time but I went home more experienced than when I left the house! New rod, new venue, new winter experience! Will definitely be experimenting with more of this through this Winter. So if anyone can't wait for the spring give me a shout and we'll go exploring.

Regards
    Si

www.facebook.com/simon.todd.12

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/lure-fishing/

I think you'll have more luck in rock pool mate
    Happy to help, Keen to learn!

Fishing marks Seaham - Lynemouth
    http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...!467&encType=1

Fishing Marks Lynemouth - North
    http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.asp...!739&encType=1

Popular lure Marks

Comment

It`s encouraging that you had a bit of interest in the baits, even if you didnt land anything. Good enough reason to keep trying mate
      MH Custom Lures

http://www.facebook.com/MarkHoughtonCustomLures

Comment

i would bet them being flounders their. Very intersting though, most people would simply not have thought about it, or just given up straight away!

keep us informed of your future trips.

Comment

Hello mate a go spinning in winter with jelly worms ect around rocky places just dash about on my moto bike gr8t fun ;D
          Cod can only juge me if am a haddock https://www.facebook.com/groups/141034916010629/

Comment

Alright Si, I have tried several places now and building up a little database of where and how to fish, mainly using the ultra light rockfish rod, had to take to putting a 1 oz lead on the bottom and dropshot the jig head to get to the flounder on the wear as they are sitting in the middle of the channel, (info from local match angler) I found a 2.4g jighead with size 8 hook and small isome will hold against tidal eddys over the quay wall, hope to have some pics up soon of a few places and what they yeild, newcastle quayside is gonna be my main target over the hols, not to drink but to land a few fishies on one of my lrf rods, the flatty beds up by the copthorne will be my last resort, I want to try near the millenium bridge

Comment

Originally posted by flying eagle View Post
              Alright Si, I have tried several places now and building up a little database of where and how to fish, mainly using the ultra light rockfish rod, had to take to putting a 1 oz lead on the bottom and dropshot the jig head to get to the flounder on the wear as they are sitting in the middle of the channel, (info from local match angler) I found a 2.4g jighead with size 8 hook and small isome will hold against tidal eddys over the quay wall, hope to have some pics up soon of a few places and what they yeild, newcastle quayside is gonna be my main target over the hols, not to drink but to land a few fishies on one of my lrf rods, the flatty beds up by the copthorne will be my last resort, I want to try near the millenium bridge

Same here Paul! Got it all in an excel spreadsheet correlated with tides, moon state, air pressure, wind, air temp, etc. data driven Fishing! Lol you would never guess we are a couple of Engineers would ya???? Lol
              Regards
              Si

www.facebook.com/simon.todd.12

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/lure-fishing/

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckingball76 View Post
                Same here Paul! Got it all in an excel spreadsheet correlated with tides, moon state, air pressure, wind, air temp, etc. data driven Fishing! Lol you would never guess we are a couple of Engineers would ya???? Lol
                Just need to tie the s/s into the Met Office and yer mobile, then you can get text messages telling you where to go fishing.

Comment

Sounds a good idea. Anyone tried using spinners like standard zeniths etc in winter any luck with them?

Comment

I tried a little LRF's ing with my lad from Blyth Harbour wall a few months ago when I was last up. the only thing were were getting action on was isomes (red/pink) catchign coalies and whiting but definately slower that when we did in the summer.

I tried several other lures, hard and soft but nothing at all.

definately needed to fish it dropshot style to get down in the tide.

I fancy trying on Blyth pier for some flounders..
                    Last edited by swaffs; 19-12-2012, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X