help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please

hi lads you all seem pretty clued up some cracking stuff last summer i am going to give the lure fishing a crack this year any idea of a good starter set wanting to cast up to 3-4 oz in the surf what rod and reel would you recomend? Nothing to expensive just yet but aroung the 100 quid mark for a rod and reel or is that to cheap?any help would be great lads

Originally posted by big phil 123 View Post
    hi lads you all seem pretty clued up some cracking stuff last summer i am going to give the lure fishing a crack this year any idea of a good starter set wanting to cast up to 3-4 oz in the surf what rod and reel would you recomend? Nothing to expensive just yet but aroung the 100 quid mark for a rod and reel or is that to cheap?any help would be great lads
    Are you planning in casting 3-4oz lures ?? Or is this set up more for light bait fishing ??

Comment

was hoping for both mate but mainly for lures and spinning like i say i am pretty clueless on ligh geaar and fixed spools i have fished for bass but only with a light beachcaster but want to target fish this summer with poppers and lures and spinning

Comment

for poppers a shimano vengance rod is a good choice for about £30

Comment

Check out the reviews section mate, you can pick up the Savagear Bushwacker for around £60 and the Okuma HS trio reel for about the same.
          Happy to help, Keen to learn!

Fishing marks Seaham - Lynemouth
          http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...!467&encType=1

Fishing Marks Lynemouth - North
          http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.asp...!739&encType=1

Popular lure Marks

Comment

You will need to go lighter than that mate for plugs and poppers. The average Hard Plastic Lure is probably around the 20-23g mark which is less than 1oz. You need the action in the rod to work the lures correctly.

The spinner size you want to be using should be around 30-35g max for a Lure Rod. If you want to include light bait or even float work, then you need a bit more of an all rounder. Something from about 9-11ft with a casting ratio of around 10g - 60g 2oz max) - if it's a lure / spinning rod. Otherwise you need to be looking at a light Flattie or light Bass Rod.

You will want a fixed spool of around the 3000 size to go with it and an around braid of about 20lb or 2.0 PE.

I had a lovely 3-piece 11ft Daiwa Wilderness Spin XT rod which was 10g - 60g and it could handle all of those above. And with it being 3 sections it was a perfect travel rod to take away too.
            Regards
            Si

www.facebook.com/simon.todd.12

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/lure-fishing/

Comment

Ganna keep an eye on this thread Phil, cos I'm in excactly the same boat m8. Done abit spinning and float work at Dunstanbrough last year but Rod and Reel wernt really up to scratch. Time to upgrade.
              GET OUT THERE AND STICK A BAIT IN IT !!!

Comment

was hoping for both mate but mainly for lures and spinning like i say i am pretty clueless on ligh geaar and fixed spools i have fished for bass but only with a light beachcaster but want to target fish this summer with poppers and lures and spinning
                IMO I would be to keep your lure fishing separate from your bait fishing and have a dedicated lure outfit, between 7-9ft med/ fast to fast action. As for the casting weight I personally wouldn't go above 60g for general plugging. My main rod that i use is rated 8-35g and ive landed double figure fish no problems. Reel size 3-4000 size depending on what rod you choose, spooled with 20-25lb braid.

Comment

going to have a look today at some rods and reels whats the best braid?

Comment

going to have a look today at some rods and reels whats the best braid?
                    You will get loads of different answers on this one big Phil. Some guys prefer 4strand some 8strand , it's all an individual preference. Personally I use sunline castaway for heavy work over rough ground and YGK G-Soul WX8 for normal run of the mill HRF work. If you have never used braid before it may take you a few trips to get used to it, especially super fine 8 strand. You maybe better starting off with something like powerpro or power shot.

Comment

i have went and bought a ron thompson tyran 10ft 20-60g a abu cardinal reel and some tuff line dura cast is this any ggood?full set up 100 quid ????

Comment

Originally posted by Bassboyo View Post
                        You will get loads of different answers on this one big Phil. Some guys prefer 4strand some 8strand , it's all an individual preference. Personally I use sunline castaway for heavy work over rough ground and YGK G-Soul WX8 for normal run of the mill HRF work. If you have never used braid before it may take you a few trips to get used to it, especially super fine 8 strand. You maybe better starting off with something like powerpro or power shot.
                        Do you use your braid straight through to the lure or with a fluorocarbon leader?

Comment

i have went and bought a ron thompson tyran 10ft 20-60g a abu cardinal reel and some tuff line dura cast is this any ggood?full set up 100 quid ????
                          I've no experience of that set up so can't really comment big Phil , what I would say is you might find it slightly difficult in working certain surface lures with the rod being 10ft. Get out there use it and have fun

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderpants View Post
                            Do you use your braid straight through to the lure or with a fluorocarbon leader?
                            Always a flouro leader tied direct with a improved Albright or Yucatan knot

Comment

cheers mate with 25lb braid do i need a shocker?

Comment

Working...
                              X