Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few LRF Questions

Hello,
    Never thought I'd be interested in this LRF style of fishing but the more reports and articles I read the more I'm interested, but I have a couple of questions.

I enjoy lure fishing and have a lot of conventional plugging and spinning gear but I had a look at the LRF rods today, how light do you go? 0.6-7 grams or the 3-12 grams.

Also thelightest braid I use is 20lb whiplash, what would you recommend for LRF?

Thanks in advance guys,

Regards Ian

Hi Ian,
    I only know what I've read, but 6lb PE braid is recommended to be able to cast the light jig heads, with a 4lb fluorocarbon leader.
    Also you need to be able to cast really light weights, so the lighter rod manages better. Mine is a 0.5 - 7 grams and is real nice to hold.
    I am useless at it but have read a bit before I took the plunge.
    Maybe someone with more experience can help more.
    "My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt

Comment

nice info

Comment

Ian, Geoff has pretty much hit the nail on the head with the set-up.

Less than 10g is widely considered to be an LRF set-up, 6-8ft rod with 10g max cast ratio and a 1000-2000 fixed spool reel. 0.5g to 7g is probably ideal. For line, 0.3 PE to 0.5 PE with a 2ft rubbing leader between 3-6lb ish

For Standard PE the rule of thumb is 0.5 PE is 5lb, 1.0PE is 10lb etc, whereas with Super PE 0.5 could be a lot greater than 5lb breaking strain dependant on manufacturer, obviously line diameters change too, the finer and stronger line you want usually is the more expensive.

You can certainly try your existing braid with a light leader on. As you can try with a bigger lure rod than suggested as long as it fits within the casting ratio, it just becomes more difficult to control the lure and you lose the feel, which is critical for this type of fishing. You need to keep in direct contact with the lure for most of the time.

Tronix have an excellent range of Ultra light RockFish rods which are ideal for getting into it. They are only £30 and are well worth the money, especially considering you could spend that on one single Bass Lure if you tried!

As for lures, a packet of small jig heads in the ranges above, some Power Isome worms, bug ants, milfle's, grubs, minnows or similar are all you need. Ideal starter set would be an Ecogear pocket-in set, which contains jig heads and a selection of lures.

Moonfleet Angling have all this in stock in their shop in Felling. Have a pop in and speak to Andy or Paul and they will sort you out.
        Regards
        Si

www.facebook.com/simon.todd.12

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/lure-fishing/

Comment

Many thanks for the replies Geoff and Simon, that's just the info I needed.

I was in Moonfleet yesterday for the first time and I bought a couple of those pocket sets, they seem spot on. Also those tronixpro rods are extremely good value at £30 ish.

Made my mind up now and realy looking forward to doing something a bit different.

Thanks again for the replies lads.

Replies Ian

Comment

Getting into the milfes ian
            Rodbuilding & rod repairs

Comment

Originally posted by fish fingers View Post
              Getting into the milfes ian
              Ha Ha yes mate I am, would have thought I'd learnt my lesson wouldn't you......ended up in divorce last time!!!

Comment

Lrf

Hi Ian
                I've been in Moonfleet Angling the last two Sundays, buying a bit of gear to give this LRF a try. On our last visit, my two lads and I each bought one of the ultra light rods, which look and feel great, as well as matching reels. We cant wait to give them a try.
                By the way, how is Lew?
                Regards Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Smith View Post
                  Hi Ian
                  I've been in Moonfleet Angling the last two Sundays, buying a bit of gear to give this LRF a try. On our last visit, my two lads and I each bought one of the ultra light rods, which look and feel great, as well as matching reels. We cant wait to give them a try.
                  By the way, how is Lew?
                  Regards Sam.
                  Wots the opening times on Sundays do u know mate?
                  Species 2013 : crabs, warts

Comment

10 till 2.
                    They have a great selection and it really makes a difference being able to look and touch the gear (especially the rods) rather than buying it off the internet.
                    "My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Smith View Post
                      Hi Ian
                      By the way, how is Lew?
                      Regards Sam.
                      Howdo Sam mate, I hope you're keeping well.
                      Yes those rods are very good, did you get the 0.6-7 grams one, thats what I'm after. The more I read about the more my opinion is changing.....it looks good fun.

Lew is ok as such, he had a scare a little while ago and had a heart scan but he seems ok. He's booked up for Wales already so it hasn't put him off. The LRF stuff could be good in Wales.
                      I'll let him know you're asking after him.

Take care, regards Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff_Jubb View Post
                        10 till 2.
                        They have a great selection and it really makes a difference being able to look and touch the gear (especially the rods) rather than buying it off the internet.
                        Thanks bud realy wanting to get into this style of fishing. I'd rather hav a hold of things b4 I buy like spec the first time at least with the likes of the isome lures. So think it will be a trip up ther this Sunday for some new stuff I think
                        Species 2013 : crabs, warts

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Alexander View Post
                          Howdo Sam mate, I hope you're keeping well.
                          Yes those rods are very good, did you get the 0.6-7 grams one, thats what I'm after. The more I read about the more my opinion is changing.....it looks good fun.

Lew is ok as such, he had a scare a little while ago and had a heart scan but he seems ok. He's booked up for Wales already so it hasn't put him off. The LRF stuff could be good in Wales.
                          I'll let him know you're asking after him.

Take care, regards Ian.
                          Hi Ian
                          Glad to hear that Lew seems to be keeping alright.
                          The rods we got are Rockfish ULs, 6'11'', 0.5-7g. Rod and reel for under £40. Can't wait to use them!
                          Regards Sam

Comment

Working...
                          X