Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lure help

alright lads,

this summer will be my first plugging for bass, just wanted some tips on what bass lures i should be looking at. been looking at some and a rather pricey.

should i go for the more expensive 1's first or try something on the cheaper side. any thought

been looking at the surface lures and sub surface lures on veals.
    Species 2012 - Cod, Flounder, Dab, Plaice, Pollock, Eelpout, Common eel, Granny Fish, Whiting, Coalie, LSD, Rockling, Bass.

Areet mate you can buy the cheapest or the most exspensive lure on the market
    but it all boils down to you having the confidence of using the lure?because if
    you havent the confidence your just casting a bit of hard plastic into the water
    mate.you have to visulise what the lure is doing under the water to get a swirl or a take
    99% of bass fishing is confidence and using the correct lure wich suits the conditions
    for instance.bright days use the brightest lure in your box and on a overcast day
    use the darkest lure you have.night time use black and day use bright vibrant lures
    Matey.you need to get the lures working so it will send a bass nuts and take
    the lure like i said earlier its all confidence of using the lure.surface lure when you
    cast out do not retrieve straight away as the lure hitting the water can cause a strike
    from a bass.wait 10 sec then start to retreive .also another thing worth mentioning
    if your walking the dog with a surface lure and the bass hits it do not strike!!!!! Reason
    is they sometime hit the lure to stun what they think is a bait fish like sand eel
    or lance then they will take lure on second hit as this has happend alot to me mate
    its hard not to strike but resist the temtation to strike.lure colours go natural colours
    like green silver blue or go for something like blue and green like macky colours
    or silver lite sprat and green like sand eel hope this helps .if you want just bell
    me

Comment

Paul you sound like a pro mate great advice one day I might get a bass to
      KOMPRESSOR SPORT
      PENN 525 MAG SLIDEY
      PENN 525 MAG KNOBBY
      OKUMA TRIO 55
      YUKI RUBYMAR
      RON THOMPSON TYRON
      SPECIES HUNT 2015 = CODLING, TURBOT, FLOUNDER, DAB, SS SEA SCORPION

Comment

Originally posted by PAUL1971 View Post
        you havent the confidence your just casting a bit of hard plastic into the water
        mate.you have to visulise what the lure is doing under the water to get a swirl or a take
        99% of bass fishing is confidence and using the correct lure wich suits the conditions
        for instance.bright days use the brightest lure in your box and on a overcast day
        use the darkest lure you have.night time use black and day use bright vibrant lures
        the lure like i said earlier its all confidence of using the lure.surface lure when you
        cast out do not retrieve straight away as the lure hitting the water can cause a strike
        from a bass.wait 10 sec then start to retreive .also another thing worth mentioning
        if your walking the dog with a surface lure and the bass hits it do not strike!!!!! Reason
        is they sometime hit the lure to stun what they think is a bait fish like sand eel
        or lance then they will take lure on second hit as this has happend alot to me mate
        its hard not to strike but resist the temtation to strike.lure colours go natural colours
        like green silver blue or go for something like blue and green like macky colours
        or silver lite sprat and green like sand eel hope this helps .if you want just bell
        me
        how would you know if the second take you get is the first bass returning or a second bass stunning the lure , as you say ???

Comment

me
          Top main Paul, great advice, pity SOME of the others in the lure section are not so helpful. I appreciate you've all done the hard yards fishing with lures but surely basic advice to newcomers should be ok and you seem fine with that.
          I promise I won't turn up on Sunday with my eight cans of ace lager, 3/4 pants, tshirt, and cap. Just looking for the basics.
          When God made time he made loads of it.
          Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks

Comment

Originally posted by marco1967 View Post
            how would you know if the second take you get is the first bass returning or a second bass stunning the lure , as you say ???
            Personally I wouldn't worry about that too much mate. You can tell the difference between a bump and a take. Plus if there are that many Bass around where you get multiple fish after the same lure, it won't be long before you hook up, if you miss that one.

I stop for a few seconds every 'big bump' I feel, cos if its not a fish then it's a rock or obstacle. Pausing allows a floating lure to rise up a bit and avoid potential snags, before continuing. But beware a sinking lure obviously does the opposite!

Paul has made a very good point about confidence, you've almost got to connect yourself mentally with the lure and imagine it moving through the water (if you can't see it) concentrate on each and every cast, make each one deliberate and think about where your putting the lure. This is why it's better to know the terrain under where your fishing, so you have a mental picture.
            Regards
            Si

www.facebook.com/simon.todd.12

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/lure-fishing/

Comment

Originally posted by Budgie View Post
              Top main Paul, great advice, pity SOME of the others in the lure section are not so helpful. I appreciate you've all done the hard yards fishing with lures but surely basic advice to newcomers should be ok and you seem fine with that.
              I promise I won't turn up on Sunday with my eight cans of ace lager, 3/4 pants, tshirt, and cap. Just looking for the basics.
              That's what we are here for mate. We hope that you find this section informative and helpful. Thats the whole intention. People who aren't helpful (to be honest I haven't found any yet) will be reminded what this forums for and if they persist will be asked not to post or banned. I hope you find everything your looking for on this section and if you don't, then drop me a PM and I'll make very effort to get you an answer. :-)
              Regards
              Si

www.facebook.com/simon.todd.12

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/lure-fishing/

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckingball76 View Post
                Personally I wouldn't worry about that too much mate. You can tell the difference between a bump and a take. Plus if there are that many Bass around where you get multiple fish after the same lure, it won't be long before you hook up, if you miss that one.

I stop for a few seconds every 'big bump' I feel, cos if its not a fish then it's a rock or obstacle. Pausing allows a floating lure to rise up a bit and avoid potential snags, before continuing. But beware a sinking lure obviously does the opposite!

Paul has made a very good point about confidence, you've almost got to connect yourself mentally with the lure and imagine it moving through the water (if you can't see it) concentrate on each and every cast, make each one deliberate and think about where your putting the lure. This is why it's better to know the terrain under where your fishing, so you have a mental picture.
                thanks for that .

Comment

Originally posted by marco1967 View Post
                  you dont know but i dont ever strike when lure gets a hit....you either get the hit and bass first time or on the second hit you will get it...plus dont keep casting in same place all the time big no! no! as bass move so fan your casts ....i start of at 9oclock then 10 oclock then 11coclock and so on to your casrting at 3oclock this will increase your chances of a take

Comment

Originally posted by toonboymc View Post
                    Paul you sound like a pro mate great advice one day I might get a bass to
                    nexst timeyour out mick or even west coast scotland ile pop up petrol money will be allways there if their is room lol and ile show you how to go on bud

Comment

few pic of lures and my SP lures also ive made up a texas rig for one off my SP lures
                      Attached Files

Comment

you dont know but i dont ever strike when lure gets a hit....you either get the hit and bass first time or on the second hit you will get it...plus dont keep casting in same place all the time big no! no! as bass move so fan your casts ....i start of at 9oclock then 10 oclock then 11coclock and so on to your casrting at 3oclock this will increase your chances of a take
                        As well as moving the cast around the clock face I also start with short casts then gradually lengthen them. How many time you see long casts only to get hit more or less right at your feet. Start short and if possible stay back from the waters edge. Even on a beach where I will end up upto my bollox in the water I'll always throw a few casts in before I start plodging.

At first it takes a good bit of self restraint not to lift into a bump as if using braid you will feel every little bump and nudge when your lure touches something. The more you fish though it will become more obvious what rocks, sand ripples, weed/kelp feels like.

Comment

more pic

2nd pic is a texas rig...soft lure is a 6" slug-go on a size 4/0 texposer hook with is tied to a 5ft length of florocarbon line .and on line is a bea with a 7g bullet weight
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Budgie View Post
                            cheers m8..ile help anyone out thats what we on here for...ya reet ive put in some hard miles and hours to catch my favourite fish ...but wont give marks away..at the end of the day ile keep on learning new stuff everytime im out .as you can go when conditions are perfect and you have hammerd them in same conditions but yet you blank

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckingball76 View Post
                              That's what we are here for mate. We hope that you find this section informative and helpful. Thats the whole intention. People who aren't helpful (to be honest I haven't found any yet) will be reminded what this forums for and if they persist will be asked not to post or banned. I hope you find everything your looking for on this section and if you don't, then drop me a PM and I'll make very effort to get you an answer. :-)
                              Thanks very much mate hope to meet you sunday
                              When God made time he made loads of it.
                              Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks

Comment

Working...
                              X