Sal****er Fly Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sal****er Fly Fishing

I'm really interested in giving this a proper go this year. I was just wondering if we have got any budding or veteran Sal****er Fly Fishermen out there who can point me in the right direction etc. I believe that most UK Shore species are game from what what I've read, with species like Plaice, Flounder, Wrasse, Pollack etc not to mention Mackerel and Bass all taking Flies. I understand the very basics in terms of equipment and techniques but that's about it. If any one can give me a few pointers that would be great.

Cheers
    Last edited by Wreckingball76; 24-03-2013, 10:03 PM.
    Regards
    Si

www.facebook.com/simon.todd.12

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/lure-fishing/

I gave this a good go about 5 or 6 years ago Si. Mainly focused on the big beach (trow rocks end), graham sands and marsden. Caught sod all at those locations. Only thing I got was a small wrasse on a small shrimp fly when poking about the rocks under the north arm. I tried high tide/low tide early morning and evening/dusk - lot of time put in for no return.

I'm not averse to trying it again but I think this time I'll want to know there's fish in front of me first by either using spinner/bait first, then once I know there's fish there then try casting a fly out.

I would look at a 9'6"-10' 8 or 9 weight rod with a shooting head rather than a full line and definitely get a line tray, first time out I didn't have one and was a nightmare getting line wrapped round my legs. As for flies, something that imitates a sandeel is really all you need although some sort of shrimp pattern wouldn't go amiss.

Also good idea to learn to cast with either hand then wind direction will not be a problem for you. If you want any help with casting just let me know.

Comment

Give this site a try UKSWFF - Sal****er Flyfishing In The United Kingdom
      www.robadairpetcare.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MickA View Post
        I gave this a good go about 5 or 6 years ago Si. Mainly focused on the big beach (trow rocks end), graham sands and marsden. Caught sod all at those locations. Only thing I got was a small wrasse on a small shrimp fly when poking about the rocks under the north arm. I tried high tide/low tide early morning and evening/dusk - lot of time put in for no return.

I'm not averse to trying it again but I think this time I'll want to know there's fish in front of me first by either using spinner/bait first, then once I know there's fish there then try casting a fly out.

I would look at a 9'6"-10' 8 or 9 weight rod with a shooting head rather than a full line and definitely get a line tray, first time out I didn't have one and was a nightmare getting line wrapped round my legs. As for flies, something that imitates a sandeel is really all you need although some sort of shrimp pattern wouldn't go amiss.

Also good idea to learn to cast with either hand then wind direction will not be a problem for you. If you want any help with casting just let me know.
        Cheers Mick might take you up on that offer. Thanks for the pointers, I think It's good advice to fish somewhere where you know you have a reasonable chance of catching normally with bait or lures so you can compare as much as possible. Was looking at a Greys GRXi set-up #8?? Any good?
        Regards
        Si

Comment

Originally posted by RobAdair View Post
          Thanks mate,I've just joined there Facebook Group, looks like some good info on there, especially regarding flies and lures. Cheers
          Regards
          Si

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckingball76 View Post
            Was looking at a Greys GRXi set-up #8?? Any good?
            No idea on that rod mate.

Rod I had was just a cheap blank that I made up myself so I could keep any metal bits to a bare minimum ivo what sea water does (graphite/plastic reel seat, cork handle with lashings of sealer, cheap set of single leg rings - easy to replace when rust starts). Also a cheapo graphite reel.
            The way I looked at it was that rod and reel are going to get well soaked in salt water so why spend good money on something thats probably going to get wrecked. All in I don't think I went over £50 for rod, reel and line.
            Last edited by MickA; 25-03-2013, 09:28 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by MickA View Post
              No idea on that rod mate.

Rod I had was just a cheap blank that I made up myself so I could keep any metal bits to a bare minimum ivo what sea water does (graphite/plastic reel seat, cork handle with lashings of sealer, cheap set of single leg rings - easy to replace when rust starts). Also a cheapo graphite reel.
              The way I looked at was that rod and reel are going to get well soaked in salt water so why spend good money on something thats probably going to get wrecked
              Good point, I've been given a Daiwa Troutmaster, 9ft and #9 and a cheap reel. I'll stick with that. :-)
              Regards
              Si

Comment

Had some good sport up Eyemouth 2 summers ago with the fly rods.Just normal stillwater gear,10ft 7/8wt rods with an inter and me mate used a sink tip.
                Coalies and pollock to 2lb,great fight on that gear,much fitter than ressy troot!Flies with plenty of silver and white in them on size 6 longshanks did the biz,if we get any summer this year we'll be doing it again

Comment

Working...
                X