Beginners LRF Set-UP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginners LRF Set-UP

Fancy giving this LRF malarky a bash. Think I've got most of it sussed, looking at the Tronixpro Rockfish UL rod but I'm a bit confused about what reel to get. I've been recommended the Shimano Exage 1000 loaded with 3kg braid but ideally I'd like a reel I can also use on a beefier rod for standard lure fishing / Macky bashing and this one looks a bit small.

So, will this reel do the job and if not can anyone recommend me something for about the 50 notes mark?
    CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Go to moonfleet they hav them rockfish for £30 n do a little cheap reel for £10 seems ok spec for the fish u guna get on it n not guna break the bank. They Very helpfull on this topic too
    Species 2013 : crabs, warts

Comment

That's a perfect size and type of reel for your set-up and obviously you can use it for other Lure fishing too. :-)
      Regards
      Si

www.facebook.com/simon.todd.12

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/lure-fishing/

Comment

I use my Okuma HS Trio 30 for all my lure fishing. It only comes with one spool so i had to buy a second one
        Happy to help, Keen to learn!

Fishing marks Seaham - Lynemouth
        http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...!467&encType=1

Fishing Marks Lynemouth - North
        http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.asp...!739&encType=1

Popular lure Marks

Comment

I use the okuma trio 30 and its perfect for an all rounder.small but bags of cranking
          power

Comment

just re read your post.... You can use a 1000 size reel for other lure fishing too. However it depends on how beefy your other rod is? You could get away with going up a size to 2000 (Daiwa 3000) to balance it out a bit, but to be honest Macky bashing is much more fun on lighter gear anyway, as is catching most fish. Range might be a bit of an issue, or alternatively you could go for the Rockfish 'L' model instead of 'UL' which will cast 3-12g and probably give you a bit more range with a light spinner and still give you the sensitivity for Ultra Light stuff. Once you've had a Mackerel /Coalie like that you'll never look back.
            Regards
            Si

www.facebook.com/simon.todd.12

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/lure-fishing/

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckingball76 View Post
              just re read your post.... You can use a 1000 size reel for other lure fishing too. However it depends on how beefy your other rod is? You could get away with going up a size to 2000 (Daiwa 3000) to balance it out a bit, but to be honest Macky bashing is much more fun on lighter gear anyway, as is catching most fish. Range might be a bit of an issue, or alternatively you could go for the Rockfish 'L' model instead of 'UL' which will cast 3-12g and probably give you a bit more range with a light spinner and still give you the sensitivity for Ultra Light stuff. Once you've had a Mackerel /Coalie like that you'll never look back.
              I've got an old Leeda Nevada Spin (15-60g) that I've used for Mackerel for years, I've sold a bit of gear today to then reinvest in some LRF / lure kit so I've got about £120 to spend all told.

All my bait fishing hs been with multipliers so I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to fixed spool reels. At only £30 I might go for the UL and maybe the L or ML if I can get away with just one reel (and it sounds like with the Exage I might) for both rods.
              CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

For my lure fishing (pike) and coarse fishing (carp etc.) I've found cheap rods will get you by but put the extra for reels. A good clutch is a must.

Comment

I've got a Okuma Epixor 20a that I use for lrf. Lovely little reel, 10BBs. Depends on the make but that'll rough out at 120m of 8lb line or 20lb braid.

If you're interested in the TronixPro UL, I've one you can have a dangle with. I've just pressed the button on an upgrade, so it'll be going up for sale soon. In the meantime, PM me if want a go.
                  Last edited by over par; 12-04-2013, 08:29 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Working...
                  X