Okuma (salina) 10g-40g spinning rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okuma (salina) 10g-40g spinning rod

I bought the above rod 3weeks ago at a stall on Hayle car boot sale. A fishing stall was selling brand new rods for £20. I found this a very easy rod to use. Very flexable,strong & easy to cast. The only thing I would say is that it should be rated as 15g-40g. It does not seem to like the 10g plugs/lures. Also this was the first time I have used Braid for plugging. I & my son both got air knots. I was told or found out that our reels were over loaded.I've always used a full spool so why does this happen with Braid. Can any one advise me what or how full a spool should be????? thanks in advance. Keith. Redruth/Cornwall

I fill the spool to about 5mm from the rim. Make sure you put your braid on under pressure. Always close your bail arm manually and strip a few inches of line of after every cast (just pull line against the drag.) To tighten it.

Comment

Thankyou Sammy, I'll give it a try.

Comment

Close the bail manually then pull the line just in-front. Sometimes you'll pull out a loose loop that will save you problems in the future. You'll know when this happens because your hand ends up 8 inches further away from you.

Once every 15 casts or so I do a fast retrieve with my rod 90 degrees to my line to re-tension my braid on the spool. I'd say this re-tensioning is more important if your fishing walk the dog style topwaters as the bouncing action you impart on the rod tip, kind of makes your braid a bit looser on the retrieve.

I tend to leave about 2 or 3 mm under my spool lip when re-spooling with braid.

Comment

Casting with braid

Pulp. Thanks very much for the advice. have taken it on board & will try it next time we are plugging. Tight lines everyone.

Comment

I have a similar rod and I use a 2700 size reel (basically a decent match reel or spinning reel) I use 15lb berkley whiplash or more recently fox rage steel braid in 18lb. I fill the spool to the brim under tension from my spooling station.
            I can cast as light as I like, maybe 5g but I do have a light steel leader.

Comment

Working...
            X