A Bad Evening and Day Turned Out OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Bad Evening and Day Turned Out OK

It's been a while since my last report so sorry about the length.

Sunday
    I've been itching to try and catch a flounder on the lure or fly rod, so with the dragon-in-law visiting, i made my excuses and headed to Alnmouth to "scratch my itch".

I've never fished up there before and, from what i'd read about the place, was quite excited (and quietly confident). I parked up near the Duchess bridge and had a walk along the riverside footpath, it was a couple of hours after low, and scouted various marks along the way to the beach. Once there the tide started to really push in so i thought I'd start opposite the breakwater and work my way back to the car.

Unfortunately the wind was howling and being a beginner SWFFer i decided arm my self with my bushy and get the fly rod out if i found a sheltered enough place. I worked my way along the shore and all i got was weed, weed and a bit more weed. No fish.

I was nearly back at the car and still i'd had nowt so thought f*ck it and get the fly rod out and give that a blast. Luckily i caught less weed but still didn't manage a fish. Blank number one of the lure season was in the bag.

Monday
    For a couple of weeks my plan was to fish the comp at Foxpond, but since phill_itofish had caught a brownie, my plan changed. I wanted to fish the Aln and had heard about a day ticket stretch, with the ticket being available from Hardy's in Alnwick. Their website daftly doesn't have their opening times on so gave them a bell and their helpful answering machine told me they would open at 10 on bank holidays.

When I arrived at 9.45 i was gutted to see a sign saying they were closed bank holidays!! This is one of the most well known angling companies with the oldest heritage in the world and they can't even manage to get their opening times right! I wouldn't care if i lived in Alnwick but it turned into a 100 mile trip for nowt.

I reverted to plan b and, because the comp started at 10am and it was 10am, floored it to Birtley. After 30 mins, and speeding tickets pending, made it to Foxpond. I vented to Rob for 5 minutes, had a brew and a tab while gearing up and started to fish 45 minutes late. Not expecting much.

Fishing was tough and not many fish where landed. Bait fishing being the most successful and leading the comp with a 5.2lb fish. I tried everything in arsenal including the newly learn technique of using a "washing line" (thanks Phil!), which proved successful at Sharpley, but had nowt, not even a knock.

At 12.45 a guy pulled out a 13lb'er, on the fly, at which point most people downed their rods and had a brew or p*ss break. I fished manically for the last 15 mins and managed to pull in a 2lb'er to the old faithful marabou blood worm. Not enough even for third.

Congrats to Chris (not sure if you're on NESA) who got himself a monster collected the cash prize.

What a s**t day!! I should have gone to the pub instead of fishing.

Withe comp pressure off and the sun blazing i sat and tried to enjoy the rest of my sh*t day. Then at 2pm, typically 1 hour after the comp had finished this happened...

... a monster!.

It gave me the run around the pond for 10 minutes, bearing in mind i had just had a 6lb leader on, and i manged to tire it out and got it on to dry land (thanks to Billy for netting it for me). Rob weighed it 16lb 11oz, easily enough to win, and returned it back to the pond.

After that i sat back and enjoyed the sun.

A long story cut short (but still long lol) A bad evening and day turned good.

Summary
    Drove 100 miles for nowt.
    No brownie
    No prizes
    Did get a monster

Thanks for reading

Nat
    http://www.slippylimpets.uk/

Wow bad luck mate, belting fish and the end of it all though
    Happy to help, Keen to learn!

Fishing marks Seaham - Lynemouth
    http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...!467&encType=1

Fishing Marks Lynemouth - North
    http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.asp...!739&encType=1

Popular lure Marks

Comment

Nice one nat !! The buzz off that fish would be enough for me that's for sure well done bud

Comment

Nice Fish
        Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

Comment

Lovely fish mate! We did the same with Hardys on friday!! And then we were up that way again on saturday so called in and the shop was.. Well.. Crap.

Comment

great end result nat,ps did you really get caught speeding.

Comment

Haha, hell of a fish mate! Well worth the 100m round trip. Having said that foxponds is about 5min drive from my house
              "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
              PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Well done mate, great read and a lovely fish in the end for your effort. I wasted my afternoon entirely,driving around looking for somewhere to fish. Rods didn't even leave the boot of my car!
                Regards
                Si

www.facebook.com/simon.todd.12

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/lure-fishing/

Comment

So your search for a brown continues then Nat, i had two at Sharpley today. Right from where you were stalking that brown the other night.
                  If people think you are an idiot, why speak and remove all doubt !

Comment

cracking fish there m8

Comment

Cheers lads,
                      The buzz was huge when I realised how big the fish was, Spongebob, because it was such a light take and it took me a while to get it to the surface.

Lambengland, Hardys will be getting a strongly worded letter, email and maybe a visit! It shows they charge way too much and don’t give a toss about their customers and potential customers. I’ll let you know how I get on.

I didn’t notice any camera vans on the way back but hopefully nowt will turn up in the post. Fingers crossed!

The hunt does continue for one as long as I have a working camera but there’s no need to rub it in Terry. Lol
                      http://www.slippylimpets.uk/

Comment

Cracking story and a great result in the end
                        Rodbuilding & rod repairs

Comment

Working...
                        X