Sweet and very sour.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet and very sour.....

Been lure fishing for about 2-3 months since I bought a Shakespeare Salt Spin. I know that is a bit heavier than some of you lure and lrf fishers use but I love (or loved) that rod! Only £40 good bit of kit

Anyway popped out this afternoon/ evening for a spot of fishing just over the border. Fished with fresh crab for about 2 hours but nothing doing so change of spot and change of tactics and, after a hike and a climb, out came the faithful Shakey. Tide was well on its way out and mark was not terribly deep (for marks around this bit of coast) and kelpy.

It went like this - first 3 casts Coley. 4th cast seemed like it was going to blank but as lure came close and I lifted the rod tip to bring it up bang something big hit it like lightening, actually broke the surface a bit on the take and then took off for the bottom before I knew what was happening! Could not get it out the kelp and ended up losing the lure. 5th cast out and as it came in bang and it was running for the bottom again, managed to keep it up until it was about 4 foot away and it dived for the kelp and was fast. Couldn't shift it so i went to pull the line in by hand. Reached for the line at the rod tip, slipped as i did and stupidly grabbed the tip which broke about 6 inches off! Fish didn't get away though and landed my first Pollock, not as big as the fish on the first take but still happy

Cant help but think how much more fun I could have had if I hadn't snapped the rod but it started to spit on with rain almost as soon as it happened and I wouldn't want to be on the rocks in trainers when wet anyway.

RIP Shakey Salt - Never blanked, took flounder, cod to 2.5lbs, coley and pollack in its short life. Already ordered another

40g Zeniths did the damage
    Attached Files

nice fish m8 shame about your rod " when your fish hits the kelp its best give it abit slack or set the drag it will come out and bingo its yours works for me

Comment

Lovely fish there mate. I bet you had some fun with it before it got you snagged. Look on the bright side. You get to buy a new rod now.
      All the gear, no idea.

Comment

Yeah mate. My first time with Pollack and they hit pretty hard and run! Best species for fun I have had on the rod. I know from reading posts that you are new to lure fishing too, I have to say I love it. Already ordered myself the same rod again.

Broon shoe - I took the drag off, gave it some slack and sat there for what felt like an age waiting for it to budge but it didn't. A dive boat went past and I thought the waves might get it moving but no luck. I was hopping around the rocks trying to get a better angle but couldn't get it free. Felt like a better fish than the one I landed

Comment

Aye I am new to it mate. Only had one fish on me lure rod so far though and that was the first time I took it out. Blanked ever since lol. I'll probably be hooked once I get a fish like yours though.
          All the gear, no idea.

Comment

Well done Berwick mate those pollack are always great fun it's my favourite type of lure fishing. 40g zeniths are always a killer and one of my favourite lures. Try Redgills as well they work great for pollack and you can use them in the dark. My first spinning rod was a shakey salt spin five years ago they are great rods for the money. I still have it but it doesn't come out much now except for some light bait fishing when I'm species hunting. Watch you don't get the lure bug or you will end up like me with five rods and a cupboard full of lures It's addictive lol.

Comment

Cheers Thunderpants. I could be well on that road mate. Only been at it for a short time but love it! I use it for light bait fishing from the beach when flatty bashing as well, lovely little rod. Those Pollock are great fun, they hit with some intent!

Nooo Fish - you should pop up North if you have the chance mate, there are a few fish about

Comment

Believe me I'm trying mate but I work 55-60 hours a week and my boy is 6 month old. It's hard to find the time but I'll get up soon. Are the fish all over or do I need to know where the marks are?
                All the gear, no idea.

Comment

Pretty much all over mate. Flat seas are best but you can still catch a few with a bit chop on

Comment

Champion mate. I'll try and make sure it's gonna be flat. I'll be sick if I drive 2 hours to blank.
                    All the gear, no idea.

Comment

Berwick you should try a bigger pollock mate and see how far they are capable of bending a rod lol I usually lure fish with lighter gear and have taken bigger fish which can bend the rod right from the reel haha. Lovely looking fish mate, well done
                      "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
                      PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

great report jon,pity about the rod.ps,are you starting to get fresh crab up there now ?

Comment

Cheers Julio, I will have to try a bigger one next time out mate

There are a few about in the estuary Reg but nothing very big. I had a little look around the shore just out of interest few days ago. Found a good few crab but nothing peeling. Did find a big soft back that must have shed on the last tide so hopefully they will be starting in numbers soon

Comment

Well done Berwick, shame about the 1 you lost, hopefully is getting fatter for next time. If I get just 1 fish like that in the 16 hours Ill be there tonight ill be very happy!

Comment

Working...
                            X