Back with a bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back with a bang

As mentioned in my last catch report I broke my Shakey Salt Spin The good news is the new one I ordered arrived! I have been away for a while but managed to get out yesterday late afternoon/ evening for its maiden trip

Returned to the same mark that resulted in the death of its predecessor. Bit more sea on than is ideal but not too bad. First cast Coley, then Coley, Coley Coley..... These little ones are like a plague sometimes! Thought I would change marks so hiked a bit further North and made the ascent and steep decent onto the next mark. Dive boats were out in force at St Abbs last night and just as I got onto the mark one turns up, typical! Back up the slope and a bit further North. Tried the mark just South of the Lighthouse, really tricky decent that one, never been on it before. Got to the bottom and realised there was step over onto the point I was aiming for. Only about 2-3 foot but it is a vertical crevice into the water below (I am sure some of you will know where I mean). As I stood working out the best way to approach it another load of divers turned up

Back up the slope again, more of a workout than a fishing session this is turning out to be! North to St Abbs Head. Upon arrival I looked down to see 4 lads already fishing it so I had a seat for a minute and watched them. I have never had this happen to me or really thought about it but one of them got a guillemot tangled in his line. They all scrambled to help and I am sure the bird was returned safe and sound but i headed off back to the South before they got it sorted.

Took the bottom path rather than up and over again, little bit tired by now. As I came down the path there were 2 deer feeding to my right so I stopped and watched for a few minutes before carrying on. For anyone who has never been it is a really beautiful place. Headed back to my original mark for a few casts before I was heading home. After 3 or 4 casts (and a couple of Coley) I hooked into what I knew was a decent fish and definitely not a Coley. If you had asked me at the time I would have guessed 6lbs minimum because what a weight it felt on the smaller rod. Landed the fish in the attached pic, beautiful cod 4lbs 1oz. What a way to christen the new rod, it has out done the old one already
    Attached Files

Lovely looking fish mate, cracking way to christen the new rod!i bet you thought you were going to have to buy a new 1 after fighting with that! I'm itching to set off up there now, the three hour count down has started!

Comment

Fished Coldingham last weekend, never caught so many coley, couldn't get a sniff on the bait, but as soon as you put a spinner on it was one a cast, biggest one was about 10inches, but good little scrappers on a bass rod.

Comment

Well done mate, nice fish. What day was that? We were up there on Saturday (report is in shore fishing section) and had a few pollack out. It is a lovely part of the world to go fishing.

Comment

canny fish...not the best quality trebles on that lure tho.

Comment

Thanks lads. Honestly thought I was into a new P.B when I was bringing it in!

Thunderpants - Friday late afternoon/ evening. Think the sea was up a bit more than it was on Saturday but I couldnt get out then. No Pollock about for me this time but left happy with that fish. I always enjoy reading your reports mate

Pulp - You are right, not the best trebles. They werent that cheap either

Comment

Thanks mate. I wouldn't be bothered about a lack of pollack with a nice cod like that. Well done that man.

Comment

good on you john,things can only get better,as summer nights kick in.think you will catch a few better pb in coming weeks.

Comment

Working...
                X