Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pollack PB on the Isle of Skye , Oct 2014

....and not at Neist Point either

I recently got back from a family holiday in Skye. I took the fishing gear with me hoping to fit in a few short sessions in as and when I could. We had booked a cottage on Ardtreck Point which is on the west coast at the tip of Loch Harport. Our cottage was the very last one at the end of the track and was only a short walk to the shore all around the point so it is pretty obvious where most of my fishing would be this week lol. I know most people head for Neist Point but that was an hours drive away followed by a tw@t of a walk so sticking close by meant more fishing and less travelling and there must be fish elsewhere on Skye too or so I thought. It turns out there are ;-)

We arrived very late on Saturday night so I waited until the following day to get out an wet a line. It was a calm sunny day with a very flat sea and looked perfect for a bit of Pollack bashing. I nipped out for a couple of hours over low water. After a good scout around the whole of the point I settled next to a deep looking gulley between two prominent rocks which looked very fishy.

I put on a 4" sidewinder sandeel in pearl white and cast it across the gulley letting it sink for a while before beginning a slow retrieve. Nothing on the first cast. So I sent it out again and this time let it sink right to the bottom before retrieving. Bang! Fish on! A good one too. My rod was doubled over and I struggled with it as it tugged and dived and headed for the kelp. My line was going straight down into a mass of weed but it didn't snag up and the fish came slowly up through the kelp getting closer and closer eventually breaking the surface. What a monster! My previous Pollack PB was 64cm and this was way bigger. It had given up the fight now but I was about fifteen feet up on a rock and I had no net so had to gingerly climb down the side keeping the tension on the whole time so as not to lose it. I made it though and without falling into the drink and just managed to grab the line and haul the fish up beside me. A supurb fish at just over 70cm. Not only a new personal best but also my first specimen fish. And on my second cast! Well chuffed.

I stayed out for another hour or so and didn't catch any more fish but didn't care. The big grin was going to last me for days.

well done m8 on pb abet the old ticker was going

Comment

Well done Mike, cracking fish and post.
      Happy to help, Keen to learn!

Fishing marks Seaham - Lynemouth
      http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...!467&encType=1

Fishing Marks Lynemouth - North
      http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.asp...!739&encType=1

Popular lure Marks

Comment

Lovely fish that mike. Was on the west coast the week after you and all I gt was the tail end of that bloody hurricane! Lol
        "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
        PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Aye that wind was just starting to get up when we set off home. We were lucky and picked the right week to go.

Comment

lovely fish ! Did you weigh it ?

I think this deserves a topic in the shore catch reports too because alot of the lads in there wont view this section !

Comment

What a corker.

Spot looks beautiful also, great fishing
              Best shore catch 2016 - 7.5lb cod, Seaton Carew!
              CS RNLI representative – www.rnli.org

Comment

Jubz it was just under 8lb

Comment

A cracking chunk of a fish that! It looks like a real bruiser and it has the battle scars of a good scrap.
                  http://www.slippylimpets.uk/

Comment

pollack pb

hello ,great report . on a different note are you a bass payer ?

Comment

Yup

Comment

That place looks terrific" what a beautiful place.

Comment

Well done pal, I was up skye sept but weather was terrible and heavy seas:

Comment

Working...
                          X