Blth Quayside LRF report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blth Quayside LRF report

I've done some LRF fishing down south (Brighton, and Plymouth) when I'm down there but not done much up north when visiting family..
    After a chat in the new Moonfleet Angling store yesterday and being impressed by their LRF stock (don't know anywhere else in the NE selling LRF gear), and their knowledge, a session of LRF at Blyth Quayside followed shortly afterwards, and I promised to share my experience on here..

Blyth Quayside is one of the most accessible places we have fished and you can fish right out of the car into deep water not far from the mouth of the river Blyth. There is ample parking space just back from the pavement (free). We've had good LRF sessions mainly with Isomes and light (2-5g) jig heads just a few feet out working just off the bottom, and have caught Coalies, Whiting, Pollock, and mackerel from there. The only challenge can be during stronger tides, where the current can be difficult to get the jig head near the bottom, although stepping up to an ˝ oz dropper and fishing drop shot normally will do the job. Today was about the busiest I have ever seen it there, but still enough room for many more people further along the quayside.

With the water looking like coffee, and the tide pushing through it was obvious that normal jig heads were not going to be man enough, so I set Ryan up with the 1oz pyramid weight and fished it dropshot style with two size 4 hooks in a kind of 1 up 1 down rig.

Ryan was fishing his Rockfish L casting about 20yds out uptide and letting the weight bounce across the sea bed in the current.

He was mainly using XL White Isomes and the orange (roast beef crisp smell) Ecogearaqua milfle3..

After missing a few taps and about 1 hour passing eventually he was into a fish putting a serious bend in his light rod, finally lifting up a 30cm whiting that had gone for the Mifle which was on the bottom hook.

It was the only fish we had in the 3 hour session, but it got a lot of interest from the other guys on the quayside all using huge beach casters and 6 oz weights, not catching anything bigger

This time of year We’re not expecting huge amounts of catches, like we have seen in the summer/autumn at this location due to the temperature, and colour of the water, but it would be great to get a flounder, and that's our next target...

In case anyone doesn't know how to find it, Here's an easy link to google maps

I hope some visitors find this info usefull, please do share your similar experiences, it would be good to build up some knowledge of LRF locations.

That`s a better fish than anything we had earlier in the year from there, well done Ryan When it was very coloured (like it looked on your pics) I found tiny bits of rag outfished even scented SP`s by about 100-1. Obviously not lure fishing, but still fun on the same light tackle. Not had any Flounder from there yet, but had a number of Dabs, which seemed to prefer a bait very slowly retrieved up off the bottom, fishing down the side. Some of them must have followed the bait up quite a way before taking it.
    MH Custom Lures

http://www.facebook.com/MarkHoughtonCustomLures

Comment

well done!
      ive got to try that with the daughter!
      i used to fish there years ago and it was always a goid family friendly spot!
      one question and i will probebly be shot down in flames for this haha!
      judging by the coffee culoured water is it possible to do that with the same setup in the tyne or is the tyne too dirty??

Comment

Thanks for the report mate, well done.

The Tyne will be no different.

Comment

Great report

Well done to Ryan, and thanks for a very good report. It's tough going for Lure fishing up here at the moment so anything is a bonus. Great report and fantastic pics. Like has already been said both the Tyne and the Wear will be very similar to Fish at the moment.

Try and get down to the meet on January 13th (2pm - 5pm), Claxheugh, South Hylton, (Keelman's Road) we are targeting Flounders on Lures but anything goes in terms of species. The access is easy and you can fish out of the back of the car.

Ryan and yourself are more than welcome to join the Lure Fishing Challenge 2013 (which is basically a species hunt) for a bit of fun. See posts in the sticky thread for info.
          Regards
          Si

www.facebook.com/simon.todd.12

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/lure-fishing/

Comment

Unfortunately I will be back in London by the 7 January, however Ryan and I went to that spot on the Weir at south Hylton, and we all caught flounder on a similar LRF setup, with white Isomes (XL). Just sorting photos now, and will put up a new post.

My brothing in law has also been doing LRF with us, and he lives in Beddlington, I think he might come along on the 13th.

Russell, I have no doubts it will work in the Tyne, as long as you can get to the fish i.e enough weight to get you down to the bottom. The lighter the better as you can maintain feel, and keep the lures moving now and again. You get hit more on the drop than when it's static.

Comment

Working...
            X