Christmas silver LRF styleee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas silver LRF styleee

Christmas on the Isle of Man turned into an LRF species hunt. With a local LRF expert, Nick Robson. Only had 2 sessions but some amazing sport. Both taken at a minutes notice because of a break in the weather. First one was planned for one of the local harbours.
    We decided to fish a set of steps leading out from a pier. Prior to going to the Isle of Man I'd been to our local LRF stockist, Moonfleet Angling, who had everything I'd been advised to buy, in stock. Wow a tackle shop with what you want!!
    My Set up was a tronix ultra light rod 0.5g - 7g 1000 exage reel 6lb power pro braid with 3lb fluro leader the chosen jig head was a 2.3g shirasu No8 with a 2" berkley fish fry, eccogear agi straight or power isome in various colours. Nicks set up was a amazingly sensitive reins raz ajiringer ,1000 stradic and super fine .3pe 8strand (tooth pick & dental floss) its amazing how much back bone this rod has and proved itself in landing fish in excess of 6lb.
    From the off it was a fish a cast with Calig (Manx name fo Pollack). Blocken ( Manx name for coalie). Scorpion fish (both long and short spines)nothing massive but serious fun on light gear.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356907894.534444.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1528940

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356907947.553915.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1528942
    The key to finding fish was finding structure , this could be weed, rock, wooden piles or large buoys with a slow lift and draw retrieve while concentrating on keeping contact with your lure.
    Second session was again a case of wind dropped let's go decision. This Time we took a drive to The south of the Island. Again with the same setups we caught fish from first cast. But they proved to be difficult to land, well for me they did, which earned me the tittle of "rubber hooks",as the two lads I was fishing with brought in fish after fish, i eventually got the " feel" to be able to hook and land them. It was pointed out by nick that my lure was not quite straight on the jig head, i thought this would of been minor but was surprised at how important this was.This time we caught something different Skeddan ( Manx for herring) and lots of them. Along with the usual Calig, Blocken. Nick kept around 12 herring that have been turned into roll mops, gorgeous little treats !

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356907976.254560.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1528943

I hope that this success continues when I return home to fish the north east coast.
    Attached Files

Cracking report "Rubber Hooks!"

Looks and sounds like you had a couple of decent sessions. The Tronix Rockfish Rods are getting some excellent reports. I've had a look at them myself and can't believe how much quality you get for the money. Interesting observations about the criticality of rigging the lure, as it undoubtedly affects the action of the Lure and its motion underwater.

Can I ask what the water temperature (roughly) and clarity is like up there at the moment? As I've seen a number of reports now from that area with good results.

Great report, great pics and some good advice.

Cheers.
    Regards
    Si

www.facebook.com/simon.todd.12

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/lure-fishing/

Comment

Excellent stuff
      MH Custom Lures

http://www.facebook.com/MarkHoughtonCustomLures

Comment

Cracking report mate, keep it up, and don't forget to enter the lure challenge. We are predicting double figure of species this year.
        Happy to help, Keen to learn!

Fishing marks Seaham - Lynemouth
        http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...!467&encType=1

Fishing Marks Lynemouth - North
        http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.asp...!739&encType=1

Popular lure Marks

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckingball76 View Post
          Cracking report "Rubber Hooks!"

Looks and sounds like you had a couple of decent sessions. The Tronix Rockfish Rods are getting some excellent reports. I've had a look at them myself and can't believe how much quality you get for the money. Interesting observations about the criticality of rigging the lure, as it undoubtedly affects the action of the Lure and its motion underwater.

Can I ask what the water temperature (roughly) and clarity is like up there at the moment? As I've seen a number of reports now from that area with good results.

Great report, great pics and some good advice.

Cheers.
          Thanks water temp is currently 11* water clarity is mainly gin clear.

Comment

Good report and some nice pics. Herring, that's one I don't think I'll be getting for my list. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by over par View Post
              Good report and some nice pics. Herring, that's one I don't think I'll be getting for my list. Well done.
              You never know, there's a few caught every year amongst the mackerel, never had one myself but i tend to change tactics one i start getting hit by mackerel, i might have to change that this year.
              Happy to help, Keen to learn!

Fishing marks Seaham - Lynemouth
              http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...!467&encType=1

Fishing Marks Lynemouth - North
              http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.asp...!739&encType=1

Popular lure Marks

Comment

Excellent report,Quality herring that,good to see LRF at its best,ive no doubt its going to be this years big thing with impressive results.
                Angling Trust/UKCC Level 2 Sea Angling and Coarse Fishing Coach at www.fishingnortheast.co.uk or follow us on Facebook fishingnortheast.co.uk

Facebook - Andy Copeland ( Fishing Republic )

Comment

Working...
                X