Summer Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Fun

This year I've had Bass on hard plastics and Wrasse on soft plastics (failed to land the Wrasse like but that a different story....)

Both put up adrenaline pumping fights on light gear, however the most fun I've had this year by a mile is the experience of taking Mackerel of the top with a surface Lure, especially when the Sea was like a millpond.

I have two favourite types of surface Lure one is the Lucky Craft 'Sammy' shown below. This one is Black,which I use when there's colour in the water or at night.

The other one is the Xorus Patchinko 2 - which is deadly when walked across the surface properly and casts a mile. Both lures create a wake behind them when walked which looks awesome in still or very calm water. What I love about these lures is that you can see the Fish take them with a vicious attack breaking the surface, often leaping out of the water, you also see when the fish attacks and misses, and with a bit patience you can often hook up on the second attempt.

I've caught loads of Mackerel this way both day and night from the beach and rocks in shallow water too.

30g fast action Rod and a 3000 size fixed spool Reel will give you the tools for a proper little scrap and if you get a decent size Mackerel on the end you'll have a proper fight on your hands. Not as sexy or as prestigious as bagging a nice Bass, but equally as fun and it's a great way to get introduced into using Lures and practicing surface work as they tend to be in abundance during most of the Summer months and into Autumn. You'll be surprised how close to the shore and how shallow you can catch them.

So forget taking a Pier siege with a 13ft beach caster, strings of dalights and a 6oz lead, if your gonna fish for Mackerel next year, you MUST try this out. I found myself laughing and giggling some of the time it was that much fun. (Get the men in white coats!!)

Regards
    Si

www.facebook.com/simon.todd.12

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/lure-fishing/

Gonna have to have me some of that next Summer....can imagine the scrap a Mackerel would give on my ultralight gear
    MH Custom Lures

http://www.facebook.com/MarkHoughtonCustomLures

Comment

that xorus looks a great lurewould it be any good for pike

great wee post/report
      AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Originally posted by lingking View Post
        that xorus looks a great lurewould it be any good for pike

great wee post/report
        Thanks, can't really say for Pike, but if they take distressed Fish from the surface then I don't see why not. That would definately be a sight to see!
        Regards
        Si

Comment

They`ll certainly catch Pike. Only trouble with Pike and topwaters though, is that they often miss them completely, so you get loads of missed strikes....still great fun though, especially when a decent fish attacks
          MH Custom Lures

Comment

Originally posted by Piker View Post
            They`ll certainly catch Pike. Only trouble with Pike and topwaters though, is that they often miss them completely, so you get loads of missed strikes....still great fun though, especially when a decent fish attacks
            If I see a missed strike often I will slow right down on the retrieve or sometimes stop the Lure dead so it's backside hangs down in the water for a while before working it again. Sometimes you hook up on the fishes second attempt if your lucky. Other times I find that if you fish them deliberately with a pause and stop, every 10 seconds or so, they'll get smashed on the pause.
            Regards
            Si

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckingball76 View Post
              If I see a missed strike often I will slow right down on the retrieve or sometimes stop the Lure dead so it's backside hangs down in the water for a while before working it again. Sometimes you hook up on the fishes second attempt if your lucky. Other times I find that if you fish them deliberately with a pause and stop, every 10 seconds or so, they'll get smashed on the pause.
              Same thing works well with Pike Si
              MH Custom Lures

Comment

Same thing works well with Pike Si
                Mark, great to have you on here. A real guru and you hide it well. We could all learn a lot from you
                Something I've been thinking of lately as I do a lot of lure fishing and research into proper up to date lures that catch, but I bet there is nothing better than catching on a lure you have made

All respect,

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jimk2 View Post
                  Mark, great to have you on here. A real guru and you hide it well. We could all learn a lot from you
                  Something I've been thinking of lately as I do a lot of lure fishing and research into proper up to date lures that catch, but I bet there is nothing better than catching on a lure you have made

All respect,

Jim
                  No Guru Jim, just a bloke who`s made and used lures for a while

Yeah, it`s very satisfying catching on something you`ve made yourself, but these days I get just as much pleasure hearing of other people`s captures on my lures, especially when they catch a pb on them...always makes my day
                  MH Custom Lures

Comment

No Guru Jim, just a bloke who`s made and used lures for a while

Yeah, it`s very satisfying catching on something you`ve made yourself, but these days I get just as much pleasure hearing of other people`s captures on my lures, especially when they catch a pb on them...always makes my day
                    Well it's great to have you posting and active on this forum Mark, and I look forward to your input. The North East needs you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimk2 View Post
                      Well it's great to have you posting and active on this forum Mark, and I look forward to your input. The North East needs you.
                      Thanks very much mate

It`s good to have a lure fishing forum based up here in the NE
                      MH Custom Lures

Comment

Thanks very much mate

It`s good to have a lure fishing forum based up here in the NE
                        Jim / Mark

It's really good to have you both interested so soon, the feedback so far from folk (after only 4 days!) has been really positive and when the season gets underway, I'm expecting things to take off a lot more.

I'm really looking forward to going out and bagging my first Pike as well as other Freshwater species with your expert guidance!

Cheers lads
                        Regards
                        Si

************************************************** ******

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckingball76 View Post
                          Jim / Mark

It's really good to have you both interested so soon, the feedback so far from folk (after only 4 days!) has been really positive and when the season gets underway, I'm expecting things to take off a lot more.

I'm really looking forward to going out and bagging my first Pike as well as other Freshwater species with your expert guidance!

Cheers lads
                          It`s a quiet time of year Si....I think once we get past this Winter and things start warming up, the forum will become really busy. The sea fishing side is all new to me, so we can all learn from each other mate
                          MH Custom Lures

Comment

Si

Have you tried any of the patch 100's? I've had a look around, but most stores seem to have them as 'out of stock'. Found a French site with plenty of choice, but that's about it.

They also look the business but they're a couple of inches shorter and maybe 10g lighter. Should be ideal for my set up as 26g is right at the top end of my rods rating.

Comment

Originally posted by over par View Post
                              Si

Have you tried any of the patch 100's? I've had a look around, but most stores seem to have them as 'out of stock'. Found a French site with plenty of choice, but that's about it.

They also look the business but they're a couple of inches shorter and maybe 10g lighter. Should be ideal for my set up as 26g is right at the top end of my rods rating.
                              Hi Alan, sorry, only just noticed this. Yes, I have a Patchinko 100 in Sun Sprat, like the one below, lovely little Lure. I think I bought mine from Art of Fishing, but it was a while ago now so can't remember exactly.

Regards
                              Si

************************************************** ******

Comment

Working...
                              X