Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snagged jigs

Quick tip for freeing jigs which have snagged -

(Assuming you`re holding the rod in your right hand)...

Instead of yanking back at a snagged jig, point the rod at the lure, wind the line reasonably tight. With your left hand, grab the line in front of the reel, and pull a couple of feet to your left (like drawing back the string on a bow),. While under high tension, release the line, and it`ll have the effect of firing the jig backwards out of the snag. Works particularly well with jigs snagged between rocks.
    MH Custom Lures

http://www.facebook.com/MarkHoughtonCustomLures

Will give it a go next time mate cheers
    KOMPRESSOR SPORT
    PENN 525 MAG SLIDEY
    PENN 525 MAG KNOBBY
    OKUMA TRIO 55
    YUKI RUBYMAR
    RON THOMPSON TYRON
    SPECIES HUNT 2015 = CODLING, TURBOT, FLOUNDER, DAB, SS SEA SCORPION

Comment

Top tip Mark

Comment

Yes top tip mate been fishing rocks a lot so will giv it a bash next time I out cheers
        Species 2013 : crabs, warts

Comment

Cool

Excellent tip Mark, gonna definitely try that one, lost a few decent Lures this year off the back of camel island. Some lucky bugger probably picked them up when the tide was out!
          Regards
          Si

www.facebook.com/simon.todd.12

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/lure-fishing/

Comment

Tried this, works great!

Originally posted by Piker View Post
            Quick tip for freeing jigs which have snagged -

(Assuming you`re holding the rod in your right hand)...

Instead of yanking back at a snagged jig, point the rod at the lure, wind the line reasonably tight. With your left hand, grab the line in front of the reel, and pull a couple of feet to your left (like drawing back the string on a bow),. While under high tension, release the line, and it`ll have the effect of firing the jig backwards out of the snag. Works particularly well with jigs snagged between rocks.
            Tried this a few times when I went out Friday morning. I reckon if I got snagged up 10 times it worked 8 times, on a couple of occasions I'd normally have lost the lure. Works great, ill be doing this every time now. One observation would be it takes a few 'twangs' sometimes, don't give up after the first! Great Tip!
            Regards
            Si

www.facebook.com/simon.todd.12

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/lure-fishing/

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckingball76 View Post
              Tried this a few times when I went out Friday morning. I reckon if I got snagged up 10 times it worked 8 times, on a couple of occasions I'd normally have lost the lure. Works great, ill be doing this every time now. One observation would be it takes a few 'twangs' sometimes, don't give up after the first! Great Tip!
              Glad it worked for you Si. As you say, keep trying if the jig doesnt free itself first time. Usually when the jig refuses to free itself after countless attempts, it means the hook has embedded, and then`s the time to pull on it
              MH Custom Lures

http://www.facebook.com/MarkHoughtonCustomLures

Comment

nice info

Comment

top tip, cheers

Comment

Tried this the other day but couldn't get it work though I only gave it one or two twangs. Having read the later posts I will twang it a few more times next time. I just watched Fishing Adventurer and Cyril was doing exactly the same thing and teaching it to a young lad. Looks like a great tip when you get the hang of it.

Comment

thunderpants, i find the key is to lift as soon as you twang you bow if you know what i mean. You won't get every lure out of a snag tho.

Comment

Sounds like a top tip ! Pity You don't think about us dodgy left handers and change offer a leftys step by step guide !!! Lol....
                        Like when I learned to cast with Bob Collins, it was a nightmare having to change everything !!!
                        We're just a forgotten species !!! Lol...
                        GET OUT THERE AND STICK A BAIT IN IT !!!

Comment

Working...
                        X