mackerell for dinner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mackerell for dinner...

im stocked for the winter now so i brought 3 mackerell home for tea, ive headed and gutted them and plan to fling them under the grill, i never cook my catch so im quite excited lol, heres the big question.......Best way to cook them and what with, flavourings etc?

Fry them in hot oil, skin side down first for about 2/3 mins, then turn them flesh down for a minute, minute and a half. We like to fry some chillies first, then salt and black pepper on fish, add to chillies. Beautiful!

Oh and then squeeze lemon on cooked fish.
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

If you ever plan on BBQing them keep them whole, washed and gutted of course and score the skin sides a few times either side.

Crush 2 garlic cloves, finely chop 6 fresh bay leaves, 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tsp of honey, 1 tsp of lemon juice, couple of turns of the salt and pepper mill.

Stuff the cavity with a quarter lemon a couple of whole bay leaves and garlic clove, poke some cocktail sticks through to hold it together.

Marinade the mackerel and leave for an hour.

Simply put on the BBQ for 5 minutes each side, if you don't have the fish grill to turn it, you can always wrap it in tin foil and it'll steam and taste the same, but with the fish grill it has a nice crunch.

Of course you can do this on a grill or in the oven aswell, just adjust cooking times.
      Last edited by Pete from shields; 09-07-2013, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Pete you've got my mouth watering man !

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderpants View Post
          Pete you've got my mouth watering man !
          LMAO Mike, served 1 up for the father in law on Sunday, he said after eating it is there no mackerel left, I had to make him another one

Comment

Sounds great, I just have to catch one first

Comment

if i put them on the barbie i use boned fillets and cook them skin side up first.

the oils drip away from the fish, just flip them skin side down for a minute to finish them off.

they arent too greasy this way and even people twho thought they didnt like mackerel love these.

if grilling i cook them skin up to let the oils drip into the tray.

i,ve cooked a tray of 16 fillets in the oven.

use boned fillets, give them a spinkling of black pepper, roll them up and hold together with a copcktail stick. [like rolled herring]

use 50/50 vinegar and water to half way up the fish. bake in the oven until cooked then imediately drain off any fluids and leave to cool.

i baked these on sunday. they are great cold with a saled. ive been bringing half a dozen fillets to work for me bait.

again the vinegar helps remove a lot of the oils leaving a solid dry lump of fish. again people who dont like mackerel because its too greasy enjoy these.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderpants View Post
                Sounds great, I just have to catch one first
                It helped that our Lenny came in with about 40, the missus wasn't happy mind.

Comment

Fillet them and place in tin foil with a bit tex mex seasoning or chilli sauce and bake them in the oven or even better bbq them

Comment

Originally posted by Pete from shields View Post
                    It helped that our Lenny came in with about 40, the missus wasn't happy mind.
                    Ha ha the lucky bugger. I've been up the pier twice for them now and blanked both times

Comment

Gonna try for some later, defo eating them after reading all this i am feckin starving!!!

Comment

Originally posted by not_a_clue_about_fishing View Post
                        Gonna try for some later, defo eating them after reading all this i am feckin starving!!!
                        Levi roots and abit Tabasco wow lip tingling

Comment

Gordan ramsay has got nothing on some of these recipies haha

Comment

Home made smoker is the way forward mate ! best fish i ever had

Comment

Working...
                            X