Set-Up for Whitley Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set-Up for Whitley Bay

I've never really done much fishing north of the Tyne but as it only adds another ten miles or so to my journeys I've decided to give it much more of a go this year. I've already fished Longsands and Lynemouth with a bit of success, I want to try Whitley over low especially as there aren't too many decent low water shots in my usual neck of the woods.

I've got a decent idea of the marks and having done a form search I know that the fish are often pretty close in. What I haven't found is what the ground is like. Will I get away with my lighter rods and 7HT reel or do I need to beef up a bit with heavier line on my Saltist 20? Is it looking for the holes in front of the skeers or will I be casting into mixed ground / kelp looking for the fish?

cheers for any steers...
    CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Gona watch this for replys as I'm thinkin the same this season

Comment

Am off ther to morro
      Cod can only juge me if am a haddock https://www.facebook.com/groups/141034916010629/

Comment

Pending on wer abouts you fish Betty's from sand to shingle to rocks 15lb 20lb line shode be good
        Cod can only juge me if am a haddock https://www.facebook.com/groups/141034916010629/

Comment

2 hook flappers. Slosh 30's 30lb line. it's heavish in places but TBH tackle losses are norm low esp if you know the marks on it.

Used to be my fav beach. Brilliant on its day and norm lit up like Blackpool when the codling are in town.
          The 'five plums!' Northumberland sea league champions.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty91 View Post
            Pending on wer abouts you fish Betty's from sand to shingle to rocks 15lb 20lb line shode be good
            Originally posted by Cod,cod,cod! View Post
            2 hook flappers. Slosh 30's 30lb line. it's heavish in places but TBH tackle losses are norm low esp if you know the marks on it.

Used to be my fav beach. Brilliant on its day and norm lit up like Blackpool when the codling are in town.
            Cheers lads. Good luck for tomorrow Scotty
            CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart 1971 View Post
              Cheers lads. Good luck for tomorrow Scotty
              Thanx

Comment

Whitley Bay - NESA - North East Sea Angling - Sea Fishing UK

Tells you everything you need to know mate.
                Regards Nicky.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Comment

When I fish there it's saltist 30s 30lb line straight through very short cast and hold your rod as the fish bite hard and fast plus the amount of weed lost a few eyes you will be amazed how close in the fish are great mark after a big blow

Comment

Forget any light line & small reels - heavy gear all the way. The key to doing well on Whitley is fishing the right mark at the right stage of the tide and this means moving around - no beach buddies & six hour sit downs here!

It's one of the few marks I like to go "leader-less" so 40lb line straight through, as you're fishing generally shallow marks over rocks & weed, so you don't want jammed leader knots & the like. Your line also needs to stand up to a lot of abrasion so I chop off the last few feet of line regularly (as necessary). 2 hook flappers and short-ish chucks are the norm, with crab & lug the best baits. Don't bother with rotten bottoms as you can generally rive your gear out of snags (although some losses can be expected on certain marks) and you'll throw away leads too easily.

Pointless fishing without a good sea running with a northerly generally the best - tides around a metre or so ebb are spot on. The fish can be highly localised so no more than two chucks in the same spot without a bite - and they move with the tide; if you know what you're doing you can follow them along from mark to mark as the tide ebbs & floods. If you like, PM me when you're thinking of visiting & I'll do my best to give you a plan of action for the night & given conditions.

Gary
                    ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
                    on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

Originally posted by g-force View Post
                      Forget any light line & small reels - heavy gear all the way. The key to doing well on Whitley is fishing the right mark at the right stage of the tide and this means moving around - no beach buddies & six hour sit downs here!

It's one of the few marks I like to go "leader-less" so 40lb line straight through, as you're fishing generally shallow marks over rocks & weed, so you don't want jammed leader knots & the like. Your line also needs to stand up to a lot of abrasion so I chop off the last few feet of line regularly (as necessary). 2 hook flappers and short-ish chucks are the norm, with crab & lug the best baits. Don't bother with rotten bottoms as you can generally rive your gear out of snags (although some losses can be expected on certain marks) and you'll throw away leads too easily.

Pointless fishing without a good sea running with a northerly generally the best - tides around a metre or so ebb are spot on. The fish can be highly localised so no more than two chucks in the same spot without a bite - and they move with the tide; if you know what you're doing you can follow them along from mark to mark as the tide ebbs & floods. If you like, PM me when you're thinking of visiting & I'll do my best to give you a plan of action for the night & given conditions.

Gary
                      Thanks Gary, thats spot on. I'll definitely drop you a pm before heading up for the first time, might even be this week looking at the forecast
                      CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Whitley club match on wednesday and if Magic Seaweed is to be believed I might be down there on the night...we'll see. Given the right conditions Whitley always fishes well early season.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by g-force View Post

It's one of the few marks I like to go "leader-less" so 40lb line straight through, as you're fishing generally shallow marks over rocks & weed, so you don't want jammed leader knots & the like. Your line also needs to stand up to a lot of abrasion so I chop off the last few feet of line regularly (as necessary). 2 hook flappers and short-ish chucks are the norm, with crab & lug the best baits.

Pointless fishing without a good sea running with a northerly generally the best - tides around a metre or so ebb are spot on. The fish can be highly localised so no more than two chucks in the same spot without a bite
                          this is pretty much what you need to know, i wasted sessions tying on leaders etc when higher breaking strain and a short chuck was all that was needed. i tend to fish infront of the breaking waves once they settle down you know its deep infront of it. or if its heavy seas just chuck into anywhere settled as its probably a gulley. (but im still learning so listen to the vets over me) . I never use a tripod here and only use one rod now (learnt that the hard way). the weed can be a problem and the need to move makes it easier not to bother. when its rough i think its easier to feel the bites in your hand anyway. sometime also from what ive found from talking to people that fish it just stick to one big juicy bait instead of two little ones, cuts down on snags and weed and probably holds the scent a bit longer.
                          also ive found depending on where you cast it can be heavy ground or at least have to pull over some rocks in a shallow patch so give it a good yank up and wind fast or it'll be dragging the bottom. i'll probably be there wed night if the forecast stays true. good luck

Comment

Great info lads av only fished it a couple of times but up for another gan noo

Comment

Yeah, I usually hold the rod at Whitley. There are one or two marks (Big Bay, Panama etc) where you can put the rod in the stand to bait up a spare trace, but on marks like North Skeer & Wilkies you're better off leaving it next to your gear and just use it for putting your rod in while you bait up, as you'll more than likely be fishing 20 yards or more away on uneven, rocky ground and you don't want to leave your rod unattended. It makes it difficult to double-pat in a match, but you just have to get used to re-baiting fast & getting your gear back in the water!

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X