Meeting with David Miliband.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glenn,

As I said on the SACN site the video was never intended to be a fishing video to be shown on the sports channel it was commissioned by the WWF to put over to MP's the importance of the marine bill in the future of our seas. They shot over 2 hours of film and edited it to suit the message THEY want to get across. Not unsuprisingly they did not include footage of fish in boxes or for that matter of the scene where Stephen demonstrated how to fish with peeler crab which personally had me in stiches but then again it wasn't a comedy movie either. Plan B in the event of rough weather was to film the entire thing sat on the boat in the marina and it would have served its purpose just as well.

You said in an earlier post that the fishing isn't what it was, we do get the odd good days, but these are the exception rather than the norm. I am old enough to remember fishing in the seventies and eighties and would like to see those times return.

The current legislation has been in force since 1967 and has been responsible for our declining fish stocks, its time this legislation was changed as things will never improve unless something is done to bring it up to date and reflect modern intrests.

There are a lot of anglers out there who can remember when things were really good. Ask Rich Ward the details of what he was catching on the day Stu Johnston caught the record cod and you will get an idea of how things could be. That was Whitby fishing at its best. The angling press did not need to go to Norway to get feature articles as they got all the cod fishing articles they needed right here in the NE.

If you are happy with the way things are the democratic does allow you to have your say, but dont forget that this is a national issue not a local one and you could try telling a guy fishing Dungeness beach that there is nothing wrong with the current cod fishing or for that matter a guy fishing steetly pier.

Theres an intresting article here

on cod fishing around the country written by Mike Thrussell back in 1999. I wonder how many of the areas mentioned are still producing good cod?

Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by davem2005; 07-07-2007, 11:50 AM. Reason: A bit needed adding.
    Save our Sharks Member
    SACN NE Regional Co-Ordinator
    NSFC RSA representative

Comment

i think some people on here are more worried about themselves than
      the whole picture
      why does glenn worry about limits
      are you doing somthing now that you would need a license for that you havent got one now for

i wonder

sless

Comment

I got round to watching the video, which dave kindly put on the forum, as he said he would. For anyone who hasn't seen it, They begin with showing the oyster beds around the essex shoreline,and their concerns over discharges/pollution . Then move to Belfast lough, once again your man talks about the effects of developement,run off,and ship building??? there are few fish in Belfast lough i know, i work there. Iwas going to delete all this and not bother but what the hell.the film goes to a no-take zone (Lundy) out of bounds to you and me. Then the Severn estuary eco system.then Cardigan Bay which the Gulf Stream brings a rich diversity of marine life ni to the area,Then the Northeast which got a bood chunk of the tape showing how bad the fishing can be.Then smelly old Bass rock with the Gannets etc Finishing off with a wind farm off Yarmouth which took 9 years planning and 1 year to build. Maybe i'm a bit cynical but the way i see it is that the activity of farming,industry,and commercial developement is having the most destructive effects on our marine eco systems The Elected Government of this country should levy the guilty parties who have caused this damage, and not expect recreational sea anglers to pay for it's reversal, with a sea rod licence. Dave, I know there is a bigger picture but your average angler is not to blame for the state of the fishing these days

Comment

Stickler,

You are missing the point.

The marine bill is about the overall welfare of our seas and their management, its not about anglers paying for the improvements through licenses. It does say that any revenue raised from a license would be used on angling related issues.

If you think that any money raised thru a license fee would go anywhere towards any of the other issues raised by the marine bill you only need to see the cost of rebuilding wembley to see that it would be a pitance in terms of the funding required.

The marine bill white paper is over 160 pages long and angling references only amount to a few paragraphs on those pages. That should give you an indication of how important and all encompassing document it actually is. It is only if many of the others get their act together and the legislation right that we as anglers will see the benifits in terms of improved catches. If we end up paying a license fee as a result then we will have to fight to see that we get improvements and recognition first. But that is one small issue in terms of the whole proposals contained within the Marine Bill White Paper.

Its time anglers went proactive en masse and demanded improvements instead of just reacting to proposals made by the government...will this happen...well the people actively argueing with the government seem to agree thats its probably easier to motive anglers to tell the government to listen as there are a lot of us...than it is to get the government to listen to our arguements against what the commercials propose.

I have spent the day emailing club officials and all ne members of the SACN on exactly this subject. It only by letting the masses know whats happening that we will get anything changing. It certainly wont happen by complaining on forums.

It takes 2 minutes to email your mp and ask him his opinions on the marine bill white paper and tell him yours. It takes another two minutes to email defra and tell them you are a stakeholder in our seas future and wish to be included in any future consultations. That way you officially exist as an angler and can have your say.

It also only takes a few minutes to join the SACN and its totally free..that way you get an email saying when things affecting your sport may be happening.( but I may be biased on that one)

If anyone wants to be included on the email list I am sending stuff to please pm me or join the sacn. I will post the same information here when I have it in a smaller form than it currently is (19 pages of confusing stuff)

Cheers
          Dave.
          Save our Sharks Member
          NSFC RSA representative

Comment

Fat lot of good emailing your mp does milliband doesnt reply

Comment

Dave, I was making a point. That it has'nt been just mismanaged commercial fishing, and political incompetence that has led to state our seas are in. there are other sectors who are damaging our marine environment. I think the majority of anglers fish from the shore and might not bother looking at the video, just to let them know that we are not the only ones involved, ie inshore fishermen,birdwatchers,etc. even windfarmers lol. ps I'm always sending E/Ms to P/Ms, MEPs, etc. pps Ray Apathy doesn't rule.

Comment

Originally posted by ray View Post
                Fat lot of good emailing your mp does milliband doesnt reply
                An MP is supposed to reply to any legitimate communication they recieve from a constituent. You do need to include your address and postcode in your email. Also a reply may take several weeks in some cases.

In the case of contacting a minister you will often get a reply on their behalf from a Aide or secretary. That has certainly been the case in my constituency for the last ten years as I live in the sedgefield district.

We have an upcoming by election and I keep putting undecided on their forms they send out. Cant wait for the labour candidate to come knocking on my door

Cheers
                Dave
                Save our Sharks Member
                NSFC RSA representative

Comment

Got to agree with you Wallsendo, what's the point in keeping all those fish, Have seen less landed by trawlers!Times that by how many other charter boats and people out in their own pleasure craft and you start to make as much if not more of an impact as commercial vessels apart rom the fact you're not tearing up the seabed and taking other fish and creatures that you won't keep.
                  So it was a poor session when Dave and the WWF took the video. It happens. My mate went out of Amble on Saturday and had 2 coalies to show for it, the idea that the video is putting across is that the state of angling is on the decrease.
                  I know from our shore catches in the Alnwick Sea Angling club have fallen dramatically over the past few seasons and those that haven't caught as many as others have left the club because they as well as others believe there are fewer fish out there.
                  "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

Red5,
                    Thanks for that...we caught fish ...i think the final total kept was 34 cod between 5 anglers (not a bad total for that time of year)and probably a similar number released. But the point of the film was to put the wwf's views on the marine bill.

I have just been talking about the film to the skipper and we both commented about the ling. The conclusion was it was the smallest thing caught and it was release with the minimum fuss back to grow up.so it makes good footage for a conservational orientated organisation. I cant actually work out why the octopus got into the picture but that went back as well.

Today was the press launch and I have had 3 calls from the press. I have to comment on the WWF film but also make comments as to why anglers are not happy with some of the proposals contained within it. They all commented they would speak on that later. (fobbed of no doubt)

It will be intresting to see how many of the actual target audience (the MP's) turn up to see it tomorrrow. I will try and get every name at the viewing so you can see if your MP was there.

Point to note is Gov Ministers were not invited for etiquette reasons (so milliband wont be there) If you invite them you have to allow them to speak and time alloted would not permit.

Cheers
                    Dave
                    Save our Sharks Member
                    NSFC RSA representative

Comment

Thank's for taking the time to let us know Dave.

Jim.
                      Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

Just got back from Parliament and all I can say is it was worth every minute of the 18 hour day.

About 5 MP's turned up but there were plenty of researchers. These are people sent by MP's to do the legwork and difficult to tie down as to who they are actually working for.

There was a list of MP's who had said they would attend either in person or send someone and not a single NE MP was on that list.

So why so happy. Well we sat with and had a long discussion with the MP for Reading west Martin Salter. Who is that you may ask. He is a keen angler, and personal friend of the current fisheries minister. The first thing he did was greet Leon who was with me by name and hand us a press release he had issued today that he had been appointed as a Party Vice Chairman.

The easiest way to explain that is to post the press release and you will see we have a friend in high places.

For immediate release:
                        10 July 2007

NEW JOB FOR SALTER

Reading West MP, Martin Salter, has been appointed Vice Chair of the Labour Party by new Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

Mr Salter will be one of six Vice-Chairs working directly to Deputy Leader Harriet Harman. He will be in charge of campaigning on environmental issues and will be working closely with the new ministerial team at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

Harriet Harman said;

“I look forward to working with Martin Salter and his other colleagues in this high-calibre team of Party Vice-Chairs who are taking on a range of important challenges.”

Mr Salter has also been reappointed as Labour’s Parliamentary Spokesman for Angling and Shooting – a role he has held since 2002.

Martin Salter said:

“Concern for the environment is fast leaping up the political agenda and my job will be to coordinate the work of MPs, councillors and party activists with the work of ministers across the government on the environmental agenda. I will also be liaising with the green groups and voluntary organisations to engage them in the process of developing policy. My strong contacts in the world of angling, fisheries, water and wildlife groups will give me an excellent start in this new role.

My immediate priorities will be to press for an enhanced Marine Bill to incorporate the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Review and possibly the recently announced proposals on improved public access to the English coastline. I also intend to explore ways in which young people can be better engaged in action to improve the environment and to promote awareness of climate change.”

/ENDS

More information: Martin Salter MP

First thing he asked was for details of the no trawl zone at boulby. The task of getting the info to him was given to me but I will need help from those in this region who have actually fished it and will start another post accordingly on every forum I can. I will also contact the NESFC for details of how this area , which is unique within the uk, came about.

The plan is for anglers to push for a "Golden Mile" around the entire coastline of the UK. This would effectively mean that no trawling or netting could take place in the first mile of the sea. I will post more details later.

It will take emails from individuals and clubs to put on the necessary pressure but the groundwork is already taking place.

Final bit of news which you are reading here before the papers get hold of the information is that it will be announced at 12.30 pm that the marine bill is to be descussed in parliament during its next sitting. This is the next step in making the white paper an actual law.

You read it first on NESA.

This effectively means that since the Marine Bill has all party support it is very unlikely that it will be defeated and all we can hope for is that friendly MP's will table ammendments in our favour. All we need to do is lobby hard enough for those ammendments.

The meeting broke up after a discussion with Martin Salter in which he expressed a desire to try skate and shark fishing. Both of those trips will go ahead.

Cheers
                        Dave
                        Save our Sharks Member
                        NSFC RSA representative

Comment

Sounds like a bit of good news for a change Dave, thank's again for taking the time and effort to keep us informed mate.

Jim.
                          Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

Nice one Dave, when the marine bill becomes statute I would love to see the "Golden Mile" implemented, that would be a God send for all shore anglers: no netters for a mile and less numpties on the shore!
                            Regards, Graham

Comment

Thanks for the information Dave , and Graham ,Amen to that .
                              You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

Excellent news Dave. Thanks for putting all the hard work in for US lads
                                "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

Working...
                                X