What Is This Fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is This Fish?

Just received an email that began, "i spent a few hours on Amble pier last week and my g/f landed a fish that I have never seen before...."

Anyone able to help?

Attached Files

maybe a puffer fish
    Panel Pin Champ

Comment

I saw that fish come out of Powerhouse in Town..........

Pufferfish? I don't reckon it's one of them....Looks almost Bream/Wrasse/Sea Scorpion like...in truth I haven't got a clue.

I tried googling "pink fish" but got some strange answers
      Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
      I AGREE

Comment

looks just like a lumpsucker, though very pink. They are normally dark back and white sides going to orange tinged belly.

Maybe it is its breeding colours or something?

regards

Stu

Comment

lumpsucker
          Alan

Comment

Certainly looks like a Lumpsucker but bit of an odd colour. They can go orangey/red when in breeding colour but pink's a bit odd.

Comment

fish

i googled it and i think its a lump sucker as this was the only pic i could find that looked like it why its pink no idea,possibly what micka says about breeding,nice fish tho

Comment

been in the shallows for a bit that one

Comment

Probably just visiting from the middle toilets at Blyth beach then.

Jim.
                  Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

Tut Tut Jim, Lumpfish caviar mmmmmmm

Comment

fish

seen a similar type of fish whilst lifting a rock over at boulmer, weird looking fish thought it was wrasse like.

Comment

Without doubt it's a lumpsucker, some years ago a good few were caught at Shields Pier.
                        Regards Ian.

Comment

If it was caught near Hartlepool power station i could understand it being pink.

On a serious note can you forward the picture it to some expert say at the national sience museum. The fish looks really rare.

Mick.
                          Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

i honestly have seen the odd one washed up on the beach ,and look the same colour ,but didnt know the species name
                            Panel Pin Champ

Comment

As already stated its a lumpsucker (Cyclopterus lumpus)

As a general rule the species varies quite significantly in colouration, which is why color is never a good method to identify fish, especially if there are considerable variation between the sexes of individual species (e.g. Cuckoo wrasse and dragonets). In this instance, the image shows a male, which turn a varied shade of red when entering the breeding cycle (or state), such colouration can vary between deep red to bright orange. Perhaps this little male was a bit confused as to his true sexuality, and came out a bit pink!!!!! Although flourescent pink is probably closer to the mark.

We had a few lumpsuckers in a survey earlier in the year, this one was a female, but the image shows the range of colour even in the more mundane females which can vary between dark blue to torquoise.

Doc.
                              If it doesn't bite its not worth catching!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X