Getting big cod up a cliff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting big cod up a cliff.

After recently losing a decent fish a few weeks back on the lift, I started thinking of ways to secure the fish and hoisting it up the cliff face with some kind of net/device. I have looked at various drop nets, long gaffs, however there is still nothing on the market with which to use that would attach to the main line and slide down over the hooked fish at the bottom. Then can be hauled up with a rope? Any suggestions could be a niche perhaps.

Terry at Reelsport used to sell a 'grapling hook' device which could be lowered down the mainline,seemed a very handy tool.Don't know if he still has a few in the shop.Worth a phonecall.

Comment

Originally posted by stig View Post
      Terry at Reelsport used to sell a 'grapling hook' device which could be lowered down the mainline,seemed a very handy tool.Don't know if he still has a few in the shop.Worth a phonecall.
      Yeah was chatting to him about a device a while ago. Will pop in and have a chat. Cheers.

Comment

I have seen similar or the same thing mentioned by stig,quite a few years ago now but someone had it on end of shields pier. Agree would be nice to have something to help with a secure lift. Most of my fishing has been over low water,this year though due to work etc when i get to go out its coincided with high water. I've had some canny fish upto 7lb from the cliffs and cant help but think anything much heavier than that is goin to be pretty much impossible when your on your norman to get up. Personally I think all you can do is stand on your rod,pull line through the eyes and hope lucks on your side.

Comment

If you get a long pole, fix a small bike wheel to the end, no tyre.

when you get a fish to the bottom ya mate gets ya line into the wheel and feeds the the rod clear of the cliff edge, you hand ball the fish up via the wheel, when it's at the top he swings it in nice and gentle.

Personally, in kneel down, jam the butt in my stomach and rest the rod over my knee and hand ball it. When the fish is just off the top take a couple of turns of your line around your hand and lift the fish up and over side ways nice and gentle.

If that makes sense.

Paul

Comment

I like the sound of the small wheel, I've pulled 6lbs 8lbs up the cliff and through the eyes of the rod with 30lb line. However this time got caught with a fish 3 times that weight and the line snapped and the weight of the fish bent my rod cup bar in half with the shear weight. One solution I've done is move up on the mono strain but, like I said before a mechanism/device to secure the fish at the bottom of the cliff and leave the lifting to a rope that hauls up everything. So you could use what ever line you want strain wise provided you play the fish in and leave the lifting to the rope and the contraption with the fish inside/attached.

Comment

I appologise if another response pops up as i have already replied to this posting but think I lost the post somehow.

Paul, I was looking at a gaff on Youtube a while ago, guy drops it of a bridge, very impressive, have a look. name of video is below.

Fetch-It Slide Gaff Demonstration, guy is called Mike Doyle.

It may give you some ideas or you may be able to buy one, he's in Australia mind.

Also the other day I was looking at a telescopic decorators pole made by Harris, made of alloy steel (light and strong) Compacted size is about 5ft, extends to 15ft, would fit in a rod bag no problem, you could fit a wheel to the end to extend mainline over cliff for hand balling. Hope this helps.
              Andy

Comment

Originally posted by bigandy View Post
                I appologise if another response pops up as i have already replied to this posting but think I lost the post somehow.

Paul, I was looking at a gaff on Youtube a while ago, guy drops it of a bridge, very impressive, have a look. name of video is below.

Fetch-It Slide Gaff Demonstration, guy is called Mike Doyle.

It may give you some ideas or you may be able to buy one, he's in Australia mind.

Also the other day I was looking at a telescopic decorators pole made by Harris, made of alloy steel (light and strong) Compacted size is about 5ft, extends to 15ft, would fit in a rod bag no problem, you could fit a wheel to the end to extend mainline over cliff for hand balling. Hope this helps.
                Andy
                Thanks Andy, that's what am after, had a laugh at the guys rod as well, he must have smashed every eye when he went to retrieve the fish and walked off. Great link. Will have a look in the garage see what I can come up with.

Comment

Put cliff gaff in your web search mate you'll get a load of dealers selling them . Their was one on eBay a couple of weeks ago . Good luck

Comment

This is something I've thought about as well, and I recon your lucky to lift anything 8lb+, although possible.
                    I've found the best way is to look at the area your fishing, sometimes you've got an option of landing the fish some distance away into a bay or somewhere else it can be tied off and retrieved later.

I know one good angler on here hooked into a good fish off noses point and landed it on the blast!
                    Last edited by Rocker; 30-01-2014, 07:13 AM.
                    Stay safe!
                    Enjoy your fishing!
                    Take your rubbish home!
                    Rocker.

Comment

Some great points lads, thanks. Had a scrat around the garage found some drainage pipe 110mm and a few couplers that I could use. looking at the spring mechanism with which to attach hooks to now, robust enough that if they hit rocks they would spring back.

Comment

Paul I've made a drop net what goes over ya rod and slides down ya line it's fool proof al send you me number or ask Sless for it you can have a look at it am back Friday and it's easy to make lance

Comment

ive got a monkey mate a send him down
                          did eeerrrr ya snap it off like?thats a shame teeeheeeeheeeheeee and take your rubbish home and dont be a meth

Comment

These "pier gaffs" were mentioned on here a while back:

Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance mcvey View Post
                              Paul I've made a drop net what goes over ya rod and slides down ya line it's fool proof al send you me number or ask Sless for it you can have a look at it am back Friday and it's easy to make lance
                              Nice one lance, will get your number and give you a ring on Friday mate. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X