Surf ? Beach caster rod advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf ? Beach caster rod advice

Looking to buy a rod for mainly clean beach fishing that will help me cast out a bit further. I am currently using a Daiwa Emcast 15' rod with a cheap fixed spool and braid. I struggle to hit 100yds and although distance isn't everything I do think on some marks I may not be getting the distance needed to find the fish.

Can anyone suggest a rod that doesn't cost the earth that will help me get a bit more distance? Must be suitable for fixed spool reel.. Please don't suggest casting lessons I might look into this if we ever get out of lockdown or whatever we are in.

many thanks

jonny

PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Hello m8, you should be able to reach the distance your after with your current rod , maybe it’s your reel or tackle , are you using multi or fixed spool, Im gateshead if you want to try couple of my rods
    have you got a cloth

Comment

That's a very kind offer Tony. My fixed spool reel is only half loaded and the braid I am using is 70-80lb test both of which probably causes a bit of drag. Rig wise I usually fish a 2 hook flapper which again is not exactly streamlined with a 4-6oz lead depending on conditions. On Saturday night I switched to a clipped down pennel style rig and did seem to get a bit more distance and was rewarded with several codling The heavy braid was used so I could forget about shockleader. I always cast overhead, none of this fancy pendulum stuff.

I will practice some casting this weekend on the beach this weekend when the tide is out and pace out the distance, trying different rigs. I am still on the lookout for a decent second rod which will allow for my casting skill inadequacies

Jonny

PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Comment

Keep me posted on how you get on. You will see a. Massive difference once yr reel is fully loaded m8
        have you got a cloth

Comment

Working...
        X