Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line strength.

Hello lads wee bit of a problem here.
    My supermag is loaded with 15 lb main line and a good shockleader,great for the piers and beach,however-
    Fishing recently off the twin steps the sinker must have got buried in the sand-i pulled and pulled and yep i lost my leader sinker etc.
    Heart was in my mouth at Sandsend. Fortunatly this problem did not occur and after gentle persuasion sinker/fish came in ok.

I have an abu 7000 loaded with 30lb line as a spare reel in case i have problems again.This like a bl__dy tow rope.

I am tempted to put heavier line on the mag but i have in the past put 20lb red ice on and it raffled a lot. (might have had something to do with a cracked side plate).

What happens if i get a 14lb er like bobs will the 15 lb stand the test.

I have also bought some breakaways recently and can attach weaker line to the sinker-say 10lb. So if i am snagged i just lose the sinker.

What do you use as main line.

Mick.
    Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Stop using Red ice Its Awful get a 535 and put 25 lb straight (yeah its like a tow rope) but if you get that 14lb'r its coming in.
    When All Else Fails Try D.i.L.L.i.G.a.F.

Comment

stick with ya 7000 mate 30-35 straight through mate never lets me doon. i dislike shock leaders unless im fishing clean ground, i hate messing about with tying shock leaders after shockleaders after shockleaders wastes valuable fishing time, use some sort of weak link on ya sinker theres loads out there in tackle shops. (in my opinion)

john
      John

Comment

hi mick,525 loaded with diawa tournament 20lb line and 60lb shockleader,also a rotten bottom to be on the safe side,on my other super mag i have 30lb TENAX straight through,although it is 30lb breaking strain the diameter is the same as 20lb line
        FIND THE ROCKS AND KELP AND YOU WILL FIND ME

http://www.freewebs.com/jc-tiling-services/

Comment

i would still use a shocker with 30lb, imagine if you crack off injuring someone and he can prove you had no shock leader.
          he or she might have a good case to take you to court.
          have you got a cloth

Comment

Mick I allways take into consideration where I am fishing with regards to what gear I use. If I am fishing clean beaches with little chance of snags then I will use 6500/525 size reels, generaly loaded with 15lb mono & a shockleader which also allows you to use more powerful casting techniques and fish at distance if you so wish. If you are fishing heavy ground, or not at distance; which applies to a lot of our north east marks then my personal preference is the same as the majority of anglers in the north east, namely 7000 size reels loaded with 30lb b/s mono straight through with some form of rotten bottom, because you are normally 'bullying' gear and fish back from these marks and expect tackle loss. With a shockleader you are introducing another 'weak-link' in your set up and there is no need for one when fishing heavy marks where you are basically lobbing your gear out and not performing a pendulumn cast or the like. Further to that I would never load a 6500 size reel with anything heavier/diameter wise than 20lb line - this size of reel is predominantly designed for using low diameter lines and the guts of the reel are designed accordingly - you have to ask yourself the question would I use a 6500 size reel on the boat loaded with 30 or 40lb mono 'ripping', think not! The set up you have is champion mate - soon as you hit the ruff stuff strap that 7000 on with 30 straight through mate, and use either 15 or 18 on your rotton bottoms.
            'Fishing is the easy part! Its all the time and effort you put into every other aspect of it!'

Comment

complicated horses for courses
              did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

True John r, depending on knowledge or understanding but it doesnt explain everything to someone asking a question, or they wouldn't have asked a question like that in the first place?
                'Fishing is the easy part! Its all the time and effort you put into every other aspect of it!'

Comment

Jaguar I've used red ice for long enough and never had any probs,but as people say "each to their own."

Comment

I may have a solution, I recently bought some ultima line that cost me 16 quid for a spool. It has the same diameter as 20lb line but 30lb breaking strain. It casts like a dream, knots well and is really durable. Expensive but a very very good line IMO. Comes with a neoprene case too, but still most expensive line I've ever used. I put it on my 525 like normal 20lb and it takes the strain of casting no problem. If more people were down, I'd use a shock leader, but it's very good line.
                    To get away from dragons and catch monsters.

Pig Hunter

Comment

I have to say that I have had problems with Red Ice and wont go near the stuff now. No problems with Diawa Tournament and Ultima F1 or Trilene. I also found it helped not to overfill the reel.
                      UKCC Level 2 Game Angling Coach

Comment

hi 6500 for beaches/ slosh 20, shimano speedmasters, penn525 and abu 7000 these i would use for mixed ground/ as for heavy work piers, cliff, weed tangles, abu 9000 and 1000. slosh 30, penn 535, this of course is just my opion i sometimes put 15lb mono on a slosh 30 on a mixed groud beach for fast retrieve,difficult quest as i said earlier bit easier for me as i have been using multipliers for years but people new to multipliers it can be a prob, you could of coarse use a fixed spool for beach work and use multipliers for heavy ground work, another option is to buy spare spools for your reels like i used to do
                        did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

A good cheap line is Ultima Rough Diamond/Also badged Ultima distance. It has a glossy coating which is very durable. Lasts 2-3 times cheap lines as well.

Red ice is crap and has no abrasion resistance. Fave (but now expensive) rough work line is suffix tritanium. It is only rated 28lb but has outgunned 40lb line that I have used in the past.
                          PB Boat Ling 24lb
                          PB Cod Boat 17lb
                          PB Cod Shore 11lb
                          PB Boat Pollack 9.5lb
                          PB Mackies 1,000,000

Comment

Mick thanks for that it is pretty much my reasoning.
                            Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Originally posted by tonybax View Post
                              i would still use a shocker with 30lb, imagine if you crack off injuring someone and he can prove you had no shock leader.
                              he or she might have a good case to take you to court.

i only use the supermag with Tenax when fishing rock edges mate,no need for powerful casts.so therefore no one gets hurt,but i do see the valid point ya making
                              FIND THE ROCKS AND KELP AND YOU WILL FIND ME

http://www.freewebs.com/jc-tiling-services/

Comment

Working...
                              X