Keeping Yellowtail lugworm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Yellowtail lugworm?

What is the best method to keep yellowtail lugworms alive?, they seem to keep rubbish compared to blow lugworm. I have been told to change the water every day or two and handle them as least as possible. Any one now the best method? or way to keep them for a long amount of time.

I use to have a 2ft tank small pump and the lil air stone on the end.
    Fresh sea water every day and check for dead and dieing ones every day and remove them.
    And keep the water as cool you can a shed is ideal this time of year.
    And put about 2 to 4 inches of water in the tank,thats all i did and they use to last weeks or untill i used them all

Comment

Thanx Vamp 4 that bit information past two efforts at keeping yellas has went drastically wrong i think i have been kind of drowning the worms by putting too much water in there trays.

Comment

Np.
        Maybe someone else can help you further,but that use to work for me,aint done it in a while as been buying bait.
        Think ill start digging it again as its costly,and theres nothing better catching fish on bait you've collected your self

Comment

use cat litter trays.
          put about 10-20 in a tray and have enought water to half cover them.
          should last about ??? well as long as you want so long as you change the water and remove any that look dodgy.oh best kept in a fridge.

Comment

Aye mate its class when you have caught a good fish on a bait that you have collect you're self and bait is becoming rather expensive now. Always nice to dig a bit worm and catch a goodun on it.

Comment

I've got some in the fridge now. 4oc no lower or higher. Put them in small cat litter trays with enough water to just cover their backs. Don't handle too much. Change the water daily, and check for injured/dead worms, remove instantly. They should keep a week to 10 days like this. Hope this helps.
              To get away from dragons and catch monsters.

Pig Hunter

Comment

Also make sure the fresh sea water in the fridge is at the same temperature othewise they will curl up and burst!
                Just add water!

Comment

I used seedling trays with a small amount of coral sand in , about 1". Cover with sea water and keep in a fridge 4 - 6°C. I was told that the coral sand had antibiotic properties. I have kept worm up to 3 weeks using this method. Keep a check on the water if it becomes too discoloured syphon it out ans replace with clean cold sea water.

Take the worms out 24 hr before you use tham and wrap them in newspaper to "dry them out" a little. This makes them better at hook holding.

TC

Comment

I usually keep them in sand with about a centimetre of water on top of the sand. This seems to keep them alive quite a while in the fridge. I just use a little beer fridge as the wife wasn't too happy about the thought of them near her food. Change water regularly
                    <i>Put back what you don't need.</i>

Comment

had these since monday in about a cm or so of seawater

keep water in the fridge in a large bottle shake for a while and gives a lot of oxygen before changing water where the worm are kept,also have a small fishtank pump to add if needed,check daily for sloppy ones which will send the others off .
                      Panel Pin Champ

Comment

Cheers 4 the information lads much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                        X