cod tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cod tactics

so then i was wondering as the cod season is uppon us once again what are your favourite rigs bait etc. i tend to use the pulley pennel with black lug when i can get it or just plain old blow lug which is a lot more readly available around here ive no crabs frozen down this year unfortunatly and im to tight to buy them lol. what do you tip your baits of with ive tried squid a few times but i find that plain worm tends to fish better around here.is there anything else you find succsesful that i can give a try

When I haven\'t got crab I use mussel, I also use squid for tipping of and razor fish, I very rarely use blow lug or rag I prefer to use blacks fresh or frozen
    Many a true word is said in jest!

Comment

I agree with Simon, mussell I think is underated. I especially like it when it has been frozen and also just leave it in a jar to go stinking and I think the coalies love it.
      I am also using more and more squid for tipping off. There are certain marks for instance where I will tip off more with squid for Flounder rather than mackerel and I find sometimes when you are on the beach it will catch loads of Whiting.

Good thing about squid and mussel is that they are chep and can be kept in the freezer and if you want a couple of hours out and have no other bait then you are still in with a shout. :P

Comment

mussell mussell mussell i wont go anywhere without it and big hooks 5/0 will be the smallest i will use over winter when targeting cod
        The beautifull South

Comment

mmmm muscle seems to be the bait to have we have quite good muscle beds here im definetly going to give it a shot how do you prepare it etc ive haerd of people putting it onto a skewer and freezing it down,cutting lenghs of when needed but im a bit unsure as ive never used it any help would be much appreciated;-)

Comment

I use the Pulley Pennell too Allan with lug tipped off with squid. Mussell is also a fave!
            "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

never had much success with mussel or squid although i still use it when trying to see what bait the fish are having ago at, allways end up using razor fish with rag or lug

Comment

try useing clam if u can get it its worked for me in the past.or like the lads say lug tiped with squid

( A MASK FLIPPERS AND A SPEARGUN LOL
                (WHOOPS DIDNT THINK AD HIT THAT BOAT)

Comment

Fresh crab can be a killer in October/ Early november but black lug tipped with mussel can be a killer. Mussel is also similar in hormone output to crab.
                  PB Boat Ling 24lb
                  PB Cod Boat 17lb
                  PB Cod Shore 11lb
                  PB Boat Pollack 9.5lb
                  PB Mackies 1,000,000

Comment

Choice of baits varies depending on where I\'m gonna fish and also the time of year .
                    Some Venues down on the Teesside coast will go through a spell where rag will outfish anything else and whilst on others you\'d be wasting your time fishing with anything but lug . Razor also comes into it\'s own if you\'re fishing where the beds are getting washed out during a storm. Not forgetting white rag if you can get hold of any !!!
                    Early season (Oct / Nov) has to be crab with lug and mussel
                    Mid Season (Nov - Jan) will switch to lug , mussell and squid
                    Late Season (Feb - Apr) back to crab , crab and crab

If all else fails , try the army for some grenades lol !!!!!!

Comment

Never had much luck with mussel or squid me like.

Runny down and crab seems to do the trick for me, but this winter i think i might struggle for crab a bit
                      Always got it!

Comment

fishing round cleveland and n/yorks ,black lug and rag tipped with mussell or razor were top baits last year.caught loads of dabs on squid

Comment

came accross a few clams on the beach the other day so i gave them a wirll tipped of my worm bait with a full 1 on a pennel caught a nice bass so i wont over look them again and recomend that you guys give them a try

Comment

Working...
                          X