WHITBURN CLIFFS: DANGER OF COLLAPSE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHITBURN CLIFFS: DANGER OF COLLAPSE

Warnings have been given to STAY AWAY from an area of the coastline at Whitburn. The warning comes following the already crumbling cliffs at Byers Hole being damaged even further by recent high sea and big tides.

The base of the cliffs have long since been eroded away and several caves cut back deep into the rock. About 4 years ago, I had to photograph the extent to which the caves undermined the cliffs, which involved (at one point) crawling through a gap from one cave to another. They were in a desperate condition back then !

The reason for the survey (my involvement was only part of it), was to see what the likelihood of the filled in Whitburn Quarry becoming exposed by the sea was. Also to determine how long it would be before there was a major collapse.

Well, it looks like that time has now arrived – The recent heavy seas have broken through the cave structure and into the old pit of Whitburn Quarry.

As well as there being IMMINENT danger of a MAJOR collapse, there is also the probability that the waste in the Quarry pit will end up in the sea and on the shore.

The National Trust is expecting this to have a “severe” affect on marine life along that stretch of coastline.

An Exclusion Zone has been set up and is regularly monitored.

I noticed the Police were down there on Monday, so it may well be that the “monitoring” of the Exclusion Zone is being carried out by them.

I’ve enclosed a plan showing the extent of the no-go area.

For your own safety (and to avoid a run in with the Authorities) DON’T GO THERE!

[Edited on 8/10/2003 by TC]

[Edited on 8/10/2003 by TC]

Tony - the words horse -bolt - door spring to mind ,surely if they new / or had at least an idea that this would happen, why didnt they put a load of \"blocks\" (similar to the ones on the pier) to at least give the coastline another 20 odd years reprieve - or are speed bumps and double yellow lines more use to the borough of S/ Shields ( not havig a go at you mate - just re-read it and it looks that way) if Milliband wants to do something for his Voters ,he should be asking TONY for the money to at least start the project - instead of poncing about being \"Mr nice Guy\"

Comment

LOL, Brian.....I know what you mean and you\'re dead right about the \"stable door / bolted horse\"

The coastline along there though belongs to the National Trust and not the Local Authority.

By the time the survey was done, I think it was all beyoned recovery anyway, m8.

Comment

can you still go down and fish of quay rock at the bottom of the wherry
        of is that closed off

sless

Comment

Sless,

If your access to quay rock is from the shingly beach, then NO you won\'t be able to get to it, m8.
          Access to the Wherry (fishing from the clifftop), doesn\'t seem to pose any problems.

Comment

not being ignorant
            but i cant see the coppers or mr collins watching over the place in the middle of november and december
            i will have to have a walk along in daylight and look for myself
            i wouldnt fish of the bit thats going to fall
            but then again who can tell with our coast
            the lot could give in at any time

sless

Comment

just seen your ariel photo of the wherry
              i bet bri hurst is glad thats coming down
              me too
              brian lost a rod,reel and rodstand of the top of there
              muggins hung off the rock and got them back out
              thats what mates are for
              i wont do it again though
              hahaha

sless

Comment

Tony,

When the mines at Dawdon were working and the waste was dumped in to the sea , the blast beach fished great . It depends what they filled in the old quarry with , hope it was\'nt 1m ton of asbestos

Doubt it will be as severe as they think .

Comment

Lol, Sless......above and beyond the duty of a m8, that like...lol

Fingers crossed Dave, that it\'s not as bad as the Nat. Trust are anticipating; but they are pretty pesimistic regarding the pollution. Maybe they\'ve been informed what IS actually ready to come out ???

Comment

Working...
                  X