Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abu 6500

are the abu 6500 multiplyers any good?
    my physics teacher said heel sell me one second hand for a fiver.
    only thing is theres a bit in it broke.any opinions???he reckons he knows which bit it is n itll only be cheap to get it replaced.thanks for any advice. Ralph.
    tap tap STRIKE-snag

I find that the ABU 6500 reels are brilliant for beach work, I have a pair of mag elite 6500\'s and use them on the yorkshire coast beaches, I also have Penn 525 mag and prefer the ABU\'s.
    Spares are easily available either from your local tackle shop or direct from ABU at
    Pure fishing uk ltd
    Unit 5 Aston Way
    Middlewitch motorway est
    Middlewitch
    Cheshire
    CW10 0HS

Tel: - 01606 836921
    Service centre Tel: - 01606 842802
    Email: contactus@purefishing.com

On the old board there was a link to all the reel schematics for every reel in the ABU, Penn and more I do not know if it is on the new board.

Gwyn

Comment

I\'ve got Penn 525\'s (GS and Mag) aswell as an 6500. The Abu is ok except I got the level wind version so I didn\'t have to bother with laying the line in surf or if feathering etc. With the LW it\'s difficult to get a good grip to cast. I can\'t stand the handle on the Abu 6500. It\'s too short and the grip is too small. The Penn reels have a longer throw and a bigger grip for a faster and much easier retrieve.

Comment

I\'ve got Penn 525\'s (GS and Mag) aswell as an 6500. The Abu is ok except I got the level wind version so I didn\'t have to bother with laying the line in surf or if feathering etc. With the LW it\'s difficult to get a good grip to cast. I can\'t stand the handle on the Abu 6500. It\'s too short and the grip is too small. The Penn reels have a longer throw and a bigger grip for a faster and much easier retrieve.

Comment

IMHO, I don\'t hink the abu\'s can take the pressure of heavy rock work, They are great off the beach, but the gears can\'t hack it under heavy load. I\'ve trashed one, and I\'ve seen and heard of a few others going the same way
          ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
          Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Ralph, for a fiver you cant go wrong,the 6500 is a good reel, its for clean ground not rock marks, it will be ideal for estury fishing, I pulled in a 10lb cod with my 6500 mag elite last year and its still going strong, if you buy it e-mail me and I\'ll sea if I have got the part you need to repair it.
            Many a true word is said in jest!

Comment

I\'ve used an Abu 7000 for umpteen yrs now and have\'nt had a problem with it Not only off the beach but off the boat as well. It hauled 24lb of cod up in 3 fish and its still going strong.I still can\'t cast very far with it, but that\'s bye the bye,I use a fixed spool off the beach anyway if Jack is\'nt there.

Comment

thanks for all the replies.i think i will get it for the beach.are fixed spool reels any good for rock fishing or will they \'lock up\' all the time?i have a silver surf x50 f/s and another cheep one which is absolutely massive and quite solid.if not which are the best multiplyers for the job.
                tap tap STRIKE-snag

Comment

Read over some of the topics already going on here for reels from the rocks. Probably best to get a multiplier and look at something like the Daiwa SL20 or 30, Penn 535 or 525 or an ABU in the 7000 range.

You\'ll get plenty of different opinions so if you get the chance have a try out for yourself before buying.

Comment

Working...
                  X