Under age fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under age fishing?

One of the small people that live in my house has his seventh birthday coming up. Instead of adding to the huge pile of Star Wars themed lego in his bedroom, I am considering getting him a bit of fishing gear.

Notwithstanding the fact that I generally go fishing to escape from my delightful brood of children, is it a good idea, or is he too young?

Does anyone take their kids fishing, and if so, from what age, and what sort of fishing (spinning, scratching in the river mouth etc)?

You'll need a biggish hook but you could use him as bait!

Comment

Bass rod and fixed spool will be ideal for the river,

Comment

Originally posted by Beaky View Post
        One of the small people that live in my house has his seventh birthday coming up. Instead of adding to the huge pile of Star Wars themed lego in his bedroom, I am considering getting him a bit of fishing gear.

Notwithstanding the fact that I generally go fishing to escape from my delightful brood of children, is it a good idea, or is he too young?

Does anyone take their kids fishing, and if so, from what age, and what sort of fishing (spinning, scratching in the river mouth etc)?
        Just make sure he catches!
        Harbour walls, and cheap freshwater gear will do,( Better quality, 2nd hand to start with.).
        It works....before long you will putting locks on your own gear ?

Good luck !

M....

Comment

I've got a spare spinning rod he can have mate for nowt if you want it. Good nick. You would just need to spend a couple of quid on a reel
          "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
          PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

I've been taking my two since they were 3 mate. You can use it to your advantage sometimes lol.
            Regards Nicky.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Comment

Fish high water, down pier walls even a lot of the marks in the river are well worth a go for kids plus most river marks are easy accessible and have fences/railings. Kids will love it
              "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
              PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

The best thing my dad done was teach me fishing from the age of 4 that's all I wanted to do never bothered with toys I would rather mess about in the garden with my little settups which back then would have been an investment I bet , u couldn't keep me in the house! Used to hate it when it turned dusk up the river derwent and had to leave it was my second home, Just can't wait to have kids of my own to teach them all the same .

Comment

had my son and daughter fishing with me when he was 9 and she was 7. she won 2 junior comps at that age.

a spinning rod with fixed spool was all they started with. they loved fishing for flats and eels at the pig farm.

in one comp when she won the up to 10s catergory she won a ...... 15ft shakespeare beach rod and 8000 reel.... she was only 3ft tall

Comment

I've been taking my now 8 and 7 year old for 2 years but not sea fishing as yet. Taken them bubble float fishing for trout so they get the hang of casting a small rod, catching etc. I don't let them bait up yet but everything else they can do.

They love it and the eldest hasn't blanked yet. Got a 3.5lb rainbow in by himself last year whilst I was looking for my day licence for the bailiff. They're now asking me to come winter cod fishing but I know they couldn't take the weather for more than an hour or two so I haven't taken that step yet.

Comment

Saw a spinning rod when i was about 6yrs old saved up and bought it with my pocket money, just about to turn 50 and still love my fishing as much as i did back then.Best thing my farther ever done tacking me fishing at such a young age not only because i liked it so much but over the years the places i've been and things i've seen that i wouldn't if i had just played in the steet every day, i'd say go for it and if he enjoys it stick with it experience will be good for him.

If you let people know where you are from there's ot of anglers on here that can recomend so good spots around where you live that are easy and safe to fish

Comment

I take my seven year old boy to beaches on sunny days and fish for flatties - Druridge, Warkworth, they're ideal. If they get bored, they can mess about on the beach. And you always catch something... Took him out on Tynemouth Beach this winter and he caught a size codling first cast - then nowt else! By 10 o'clock it was dark, he was knackered and the appeal wore off a bit. Do it in stages, mate
                        PBs...Cod 8lb2oz.. Turbot 3lb2oz.. Whiting 1lb8oz.. Coalie 1lb9oz.. Flounder 1lb7oz.. Dab 15oz.. Plaice 13oz.. Bass 1lb 6oz

Comment

as it all been said ,, all i will say wait till they catch their first fish their face it will say it all

Comment

Anything that may keep youngsters off playstation/XBox type gadgets when they get a bit older is a Godsend!
                            2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Originally posted by Beaky View Post

there is no age limit for anglers, if they can walk that is good enough for me, took my daughter when she was very young, she could handle my boat 60hp engine when she was nine, won the Whitley Open junior section at same age second when ten and won quite a few comps with Tynemouth club. Have had grandkids out as well, but be warned "YOU WILL BE OUTFISHED EVERY TIME YOU TAKE THEM"
                              Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X