Old TT supermatch - any alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old TT supermatch - any alternatives?

I'm looking to try and get my hands on an old TT supermatch (the original, not the metal band one) to replace the one I (regrettably) sold a few years ago....but I'd also like to know of any other rods that are of similar design / capability, as the TTSM's seem few & far between.

Must be capable of casting 150/175g regularly & 200 at a push when conditions demand it, be no longer than 13ft, and equally at home fishing for the dabs/flounder/whiting etc as well as bigger codling & the like.

Any other rods out there that I could be considering as a possible alternative?

Thanks, Gary
    ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
    on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Look on Gumtree gary bud there is a one on there but down south Apparently Alan Yates' mate is the one selling it!

Comment

Think you will struggle to find a modern alternative with 13ft not being popular but afaw match is a very good alternative

Comment

Mk1 greys Orion?
        Ron Thompson Axellerator 13’ - Penn Spinfisher 7500
        Daiwa Seahunter Z Spin 10’ - Penn Battle II 4000
        Savage Gear Bushwhacker 8’ - Shimano Ultegra 2500

FLOUNDER, SEA SCORPION, COLEY, MACKEREL, LAUNCE, WEEVER, SHORE ROCKLING, POLLOCK, BLENNY, DAB, WHITING, COD, 5B ROCKLING, PLAICE, DRAGONET, EELPOUT, COMMON EEL, THORNBACK RAY, BALLAN WRASSE, CORKWING WRASSE, TOPE, GREY GURNARD, DOGFISH, TADPOLE FISH, TURBOT, SMOOTHOUND, BASS

Comment

tournament match ?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions so far - I was hoping to pick something up locally...the AFAW match was a possibility (could shorten it slightly) as I already have a Tournament version but it's too long for the venue, the lower deck on Tynemouth pier (tried it & I kept clipping the back wall). Something like the Orion might be a possibility - I just wondered if any of the old Daiwa AWT's or similar (I'm not really familiar with the range) or possibly some kind of Conoflex or Zziplex might fit the bill - I know their ranges are pretty extensive. I'm not averse to getting the hacksaw out if necessary as long as the rod can take it - I know there can be problems with "gearbox" type designs as this can put them out of position and knack the handling of the rod.

Gary
            Last edited by g-force; 13-03-2015, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by g-force View Post
              Thanks for the suggestions so far - I was hoping to pick something up locally...the AFAW match was a possibility (could shorten it slightly) as I already have a Tournament version but it's too long for the venue, the lower deck on Tynemouth pier (tried it & I kept clipping the back wall). Something like the Orion might be a possibility - I just wondered if any of the old Daiwa AWT's or similar (I'm not really familiar with the range) or possibly some kind of Conoflex or Zziplex might fit the bill - I know their ranges are pretty extensive. I'm not averse to getting the hacksaw out if necessary as long as the rod can take it - I know there can be problems with "gearbox" type designs as this can put them out of position and knack the handling of the rod.

Gary
              Metal band super match no good Gary? Lovely rods.
              "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
              PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Originally posted by Juliogeordio View Post
                Metal band super match no good Gary? Lovely rods.
                I tried one when they first came out and I still had my original but didn't like it anywhere near as much. I always suspected when I sold mine that I'd maybe regret it, but at the time was going through a got-far-too-many-rods-and-some-have-got-to-go phase and it had been gathering dust for a while since I got my original AFAW TM. I generally use a 14ft rod but the shorter TTSM was great for some venues.

Gary

Comment

Gary I use the mark one afaw match rod on the pier. There 13ft 4 lovely tip show the smallest of bites but still have plenty poke if you need it

Comment

Originally posted by steesh View Post
                    Gary I use the mark one afaw match rod on the pier. There 13ft 4 lovely tip show the smallest of bites but still have plenty poke if you need it
                    Cheers Steve - good to know as it was one on my potential shortlist - I currently use the 13ft Surf but it maxes out at 150g and struggles in a stiff wind. The TM or any of my longer rods are ok on the end few pegs but I'm just looking for one rod that can cope with everything (except maybe the real heavy ground if I go down the free-zone) and the shorter rod would suit better, especially when you're crowded together only 6-8ft apart on the higher number pegs!

Gary

Comment

Lots to choose from in the Zziplex range, hst,hsm,4500 etc, bullet gt

Comment

The afaw match will cast 6oz and two baits with ease. Have used mine in the mixed ground in the free zone with no problems. I think a lot of people on the pier make the mistake of using rods that are to powerful and can't compress them to get a decent cast

Comment

Originally posted by CHUKKA View Post
                          Lots to choose from in the Zziplex range, hst,hsm,4500 etc, bullet gt
                          Almost too many lol. and I don't know much about any of them! Having had a few in the past and been a bit disappointed (largely due to trying one and on that basis getting a new one, only to find it's nothing like the one I've tried!) I vowed I'd only ever get another if I could try & purchase said rod - so second hand is definitely the way forward with them. I came across an HST the other day & have had a waggle of one in the past, and it's certainly an option but I'd forgotten all about the HSM - that could certainly be one to try & look at.

Originally posted by steesh View Post
                          The afaw match will cast 6oz and two baits with ease. Have used mine in the mixed ground in the free zone with no problems. I think a lot of people on the pier make the mistake of using rods that are to powerful and can't compress them to get a decent cast
                          Quite agree Steve and in general my AFAW Surf has been fine - as long as the conditions are ok - and it's a fun rod to fish with. But I've struggled on occasion in a stiff S/SW gale until I got up the end and was able to break out the big rod. So really I'm just looking for something a step up in power that I can use in or out of the crowds (if I think there's a chance I'll be going to the real heavy stuff then I'll pack a poker as well haha!)

Gary

Comment

I've used 14ft rods on the pier no problems. Just stand as close to the edge as you dare!! Cast with the arms out and rod at 11oclock rather than at 1 or 2 with the lead parallel to the pier and you can get a pretty good cast.
                            Last edited by CHUKKA; 13-03-2015, 11:42 PM.

Comment

G Force I'd have a look at the m4 GT fits the bill perfectly

Comment

Working...
                              X