knife carrying law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats cleared that up mick thanx
    Last edited by Andy 1985; 13-01-2010, 10:49 PM.
    Stay Safe & Tight Lines

NO FISH NO WHERE

Species so far in 2013, codling, whiting, billet, rockling, dab, flounder, plaice, starry smooth hound

Comment

I tried using scissors a few years ago and found no matter what I did with them when I got home that they would rust so I just went back to my knife. I never carry it on my person and when I use it I put it straight back in it's sheath and into my box. I can nearly always put my hand straight on it in the box, even in the dark but I could never find the damn scissors lol.

Thank's for that post Mick it always helps to have it from a reliable source mate.

Jim.
      Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

a good pair of scissors usualy do the job,, however for gutting i just do it at home.

Comment

A stainless steel bait knife and a pair of stainless steel scissors (Mustad I think) in the bottom of my bait bucket, I just wash them and give them a quick spray of WD40 after each use, had them for a few years now.
          www.robadairpetcare.uk

Comment

yeah i clean my fillet knife etc with baby wipes after use
            Stay Safe & Tight Lines

NO FISH NO WHERE

Species so far in 2013, codling, whiting, billet, rockling, dab, flounder, plaice, starry smooth hound

Comment

Originally posted by Gazz View Post
              I use scissors to gut the fish myself.
              beware its against the law to carry filleting knives i was fined £450 last year for carrying mine only avoided jail as it was my first offence

Comment

Originally posted by bill dial View Post
                beware its against the law to carry filleting knives i was fined £450 last year for carrying mine only avoided jail as it was my first offence
                how was this possable???????why were you carrying a filleting knife without lawfull reason and legal authority,(going fishin)

Comment

Originally posted by skiny View Post
                  how was this possable???????why were you carrying a filleting knife without lawfull reason and legal authority,(going fishin)
                  Quick reply i took it home to fillet fish that my parents bought whole at fish mongers so in stead of taking fish down to my work place or boat i took knife home finished wot i had to do returned to my boat 11.30pm to go back to sea at 02.30am and traveled to boat in a taxi the knife was coverd up until the time i had to pay taxi driver and get out within 1 hour i was arrested ....FACT

Comment

Don't think I'll ever take a filleting knife with me especially after reading this, it could put you in the hands of the descretion of a police officer and may land you in court and even if you can get aquited through reasonable cause you'll still have yer sesh cut short plus DNA'd, fingerprinted, mugshot etc.

Comment

so basically you were in a taxi with no other fishing gear and just carried the knife about ?

I'm not really suprised, entirely different circumstances i'd say

Comment

last year a 17 year old started to panic on s/s pier as he had a filleting in his box as 2 policemen came along and approached the end,i told not him not worry and called the 2policemen over and asked would they have any concerns about serious sensible anglers having and using a filleting knife for what they were intended, they replied they would not have a problem as long the knives were used in a proper manner and put back in tackle box out of sight. and if a remember correctly there were quite a few lads who witnessed the coversation i had with the policemen

Comment

Originally posted by bill dial View Post
                          Quick reply i took it home to fillet fish that my parents bought whole at fish mongers so in stead of taking fish down to my work place or boat i took knife home finished wot i had to do returned to my boat 11.30pm to go back to sea at 02.30am and traveled to boat in a taxi the knife was coverd up until the time i had to pay taxi driver and get out within 1 hour i was arrested ....FACT
                          last word FACT ,fact was you didnt have resonable reson to have a knife at daft oclock in a taxi.your own fault then.

Comment

i personally carry a baiting knife and a filleting knife and they are always kept sheathed in the bottom of my tackle box. In this situation surely even a real jobsworth copper could'nt be bothered with all the paperwork that goes with an arrest for it to thrown out in court. I like to think that we have a reasonable justice system and that any judge would have the common sense to throw it out in court and give the arresting officer a dressing down for wasting the courts valuble time
                            Nothing makes a fish bigger than ALMOST being caught

Comment

i personally carry a plasma cutter just so i can cook the fish as im cutting it
                              Cod machine

Comment

Originally posted by kingcod deano View Post
                                i personally carry a plasma cutter just so i can cook the fish as im cutting it
                                pmsl
                                Nothing makes a fish bigger than ALMOST being caught

Comment

Working...
                                X