Plugging for bass at Whitley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugging for bass at Whitley

HAs anyone tried plugging at whitley beach, In theory it should work, there seems to be a few Bass around, Ive had 3 in the past 4 shots. Might try in the spring over the rocks. It works on the coast of scotland, why not here?
    Maker and inventor of CANNYLINKS, the best rotten bottom system bar none. IMHO!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOWm18-UD6E

To be honest i\'ve never gave it much thought Paul,I go over to the Mull area at least twice a year and i always use my lures/spinners and plugs with a good results,I think its the fact that the Bass are hitty missy over on this coast,might give it a shot next year now you mention it,hope the Bass catches of late are not just a flash in the pan !
    Cheers Alan...

Comment

ive got a box full of plugs and spinners etc ,choking to try them out ,even bought a small abu baitcaster dont know if it work off the beaches though as the conditions would need to be right and youd prob need a canny chuck out which buggers me

all advice to be posted here bass tips and techniques wanted
      cheers Bri

anglingnortheast.com

Comment

I use a carp rod for plugging/big spinners with a baitcaster, works canny well, dexter wedges are the killer lure for me, or abu terminators the killer plug. Easier to get more distance with the extra weight of the dexter tho. and the 12foot rod helps.
        Never really given it a bash on this coast either, but been giving it some serious thought with all the bass that have been mentioned in the catch reports
        ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
        Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

would small spinners work with a ball weight say 1oz in line ?
          ive got the shimano rod there never tried it yet ,any chance of bass turning up over rock marks ?
          cheers Bri

anglingnortheast.com

Comment

would small spinners work with a ball weight say 1oz in line ?
            ive got the shimano rod there never tried it yet ,any chance of bass turning up over rock marks ?
            tried it with 1 and 2 oz balls, but if you snatch at the cast a bit too much I found the spinner tangling with the line a bit above the ball. driled barrel leads worked a bit better, but since I\'ve been using the longer carp rod for spinning it doesn\'t happen as much
            ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
            Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

bri I caught a nice Bass of three and a quarter pounds off the rocks at Cambois so I think yes mate.

Jim.
              Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

nice one jim but its all in the wording lol i said over the rocks not off the rocks i mostly fish up the 2up/down so the rocks are submerged ,saying that i would imagine the beach marks up the should produce round the rockers etc ,mark thats what i meant lol barrel ie in line(hole drilled right through)
                cheers Bri

anglingnortheast.com

Comment

Keep intending to give it a try. Emailed Mike Ladle( Hooked on Bass) about it a while ago and he reckoned any bassy looking spot was worth a go. He reckoned that if I didn\'t get bass I\'d get coalies on plugs. Been too embarrassed to try it yet though. Thought I might get some funny looks.

Colossus

Comment

get a funny look when you catch one as well,everyone will be dashing home the there spinners
                    Cheers Alan...

Comment

It was over the rocks as opposed to from bri. Lifted my rod butt about two feet off the bottom when it took my bait, thought it was a monster cod as I was not expecting Bass from there.

Jim.
                      Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

in that case might have to look stupid one day and take me spinners up ,theres some canny dips in them there rocks ,down side is when the seas got the lip on you get a fair soaking on the wall lol,,alan your pitch in the corner near the steps is a cracking one once again the problem being is that corner gets the worst of the surf,still me suit should be here soon
                        cheers Bri

anglingnortheast.com

Comment

Have tried drilled bullet leads when spinning with rubber worms (can get bad tangles if you hit the cast hard) but never on plugs.

I am sure I have seen somewhere little plastic floats you can fill with water to help casting, good thing about that is that they will float and not affect the action of the plug, like a lead might? Called bubble floats I think.

Also I have thought about trying one of those little rubber balls (used to be called powerballs I think?) and drilling one of those, should work the same.

Will

Comment

Just a thought, would you be plugging at night-time or day-time?? a second thought, would it be worth using a little bait ( attatched to one of the trebbles) help in any way, thought a few times of doing it, but have never quite got around to it, Cheers Tich
                            Tich

Comment

Was assuming it would be in daylight. Don\'t know why. Not a lot of daylight around at the moment!

Comment

Working...
                              X