No announcement yet.

Please look at these pictures and help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please look at these pictures and help.

Here are a couple of pictures of the beach at the Blackhall/Horden boundry.
    The first one is facing towards Hartlepool and the second towards Seaham.

My questions are:-
    Is this a good spot to fish ?
    Which side is best?
    When is the best time to fish this spot?
    and is there a better and safer place to park the car if night fishing is good.
    I think i had to walk about a mile from my car down onto the beach
    Hope the pictures are clear enough as i only took them off my Phone.
    Griff
    Attached Files

Hi Griff

Can't speak for the south side, never really fished there as a nipper. Looking North I can help a bit though others will know more.

Starting with parking - carry on past Blackhall and into Horden. Take the first right turn down Cotsford Lane and follow the road until you come to the railway viaduct. I usually park in the housing estate on the right here, other lads park outside the railway cottages. The road continues down to a car park but it is very isolated down there and I wouldn't even take the risk in daylight.

You now have a walk of about 1/2 a mile to the beach but it is mostly easy going and not too steep (and downhill on the way there). When you reach the beach it is best to go straight on to the shoreline: this is because there is about a 5' shelf of colliery spoil all along the beach and it is not easy to get down. The area north of here is known as Dene Holme and is much of a muchness. Fairly deep water, there used to be a bar about 70 odd yards out though this was years ago. Will fish very well after dark for Whiting and after a blow you should get codling. Mainly clean ground with the odd snag - if you are fetting snagged up try moving 50 yards either side. In my experience a 5oz grip lead will suffice unless the sea is away when you might need 6oz. No need to cast miles - I've seen codling caught here 30 yards out though I've also had fish at over 130 yards when it has been flat.

Usual times of a couple up and a couple down seem to fish; last codling I caught there cam about 3 hours into the ebb. Other may be able to advise better than me about this.

Used to fish here all the time as a bairn, haven't been down for ages so might have to give it a go next week when the sea eases off. Good luck if you try it.
    CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Brilliant !

Thanks Mal that was Brilliant, I did have a look on the housing estate on the Horden side, there was some houses near a allotment site.
      I will give it a go next week.
      First class reply

Comment

oryt mate never fished the place before but good luck and post your catch
        species so far 2012cod bass flounder plaice dab colie weaver whitie rockling

target for 2012

:catch a bass of 2lb catch a cod of 5lb catch a plaice of 2lb catch a thornback

Comment

Well who could ask for more info. .....well done Mr.Tucker.
          You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Tucker View Post
            Hi Griff

Can't speak for the south side, never really fished there as a nipper. Looking North I can help a bit though others will know more.

Starting with parking - carry on past Blackhall and into Horden. Take the first right turn down Cotsford Lane and follow the road until you come to the railway viaduct. I usually park in the housing estate on the right here, other lads park outside the railway cottages. The road continues down to a car park but it is very isolated down there and I wouldn't even take the risk in daylight.

You now have a walk of about 1/2 a mile to the beach but it is mostly easy going and not too steep (and downhill on the way there). When you reach the beach it is best to go straight on to the shoreline: this is because there is about a 5' shelf of colliery spoil all along the beach and it is not easy to get down. The area north of here is known as Dene Holme and is much of a muchness. Fairly deep water, there used to be a bar about 70 odd yards out though this was years ago. Will fish very well after dark for Whiting and after a blow you should get codling. Mainly clean ground with the odd snag - if you are fetting snagged up try moving 50 yards either side. In my experience a 5oz grip lead will suffice unless the sea is away when you might need 6oz. No need to cast miles - I've seen codling caught here 30 yards out though I've also had fish at over 130 yards when it has been flat.

Usual times of a couple up and a couple down seem to fish; last codling I caught there cam about 3 hours into the ebb. Other may be able to advise better than me about this.

Used to fish here all the time as a bairn, haven't been down for ages so might have to give it a go next week when the sea eases off. Good luck if you try it.
            thanks stuart i will use this information as i have always wanted to fish horden but did not know where was safe to park.

Comment

Working...
            X