Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mag brakes advice.. (Penn525)

Hi lads,
    Just looking for a bit advice about my new PENN 525 Mag (first non-centrifugal multi for me)....

- Is the aim to gradually ease off the mag breaks entirely so that, when you're casting it comfortably and smoothly, the setting is on zero?
    OR
    - Is it always a good idea to keep a few notches of mag brakes on?

So far, I've just been practising with it in windless conditions. Into a wind, on the beach, is it time to whack those brakes on?

Any advice much appreciated - cheers
    Ross
    PBs...Cod 8lb2oz.. Turbot 3lb2oz.. Whiting 1lb8oz.. Coalie 1lb9oz.. Flounder 1lb7oz.. Dab 15oz.. Plaice 13oz.. Bass 1lb 6oz

when using a big bait clipped-up try 5 backing off to 4 if not fluffing; small baits clipped-up should manage with 2. this is dependent on conditions, particularly headwinds. practice will help!

Comment

Thanks for that, mate - could save me a nest or two
      PBs...Cod 8lb2oz.. Turbot 3lb2oz.. Whiting 1lb8oz.. Coalie 1lb9oz.. Flounder 1lb7oz.. Dab 15oz.. Plaice 13oz.. Bass 1lb 6oz

Comment

J think its a personal thing and depends on your casting ability some guys can get away with no mags and guys with lesser casting skills need a bit extra mag on

Comment

Cheers Bilbo. I'll play it by ear. The more I practise with it, the more I bloody love the reel. Massive tackle tart

Comment

Working...
          X