North Tyne newbie advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Tyne newbie advice needed

I'm a complete newbie to fishing, only started last month but really enjoying it. So far been out spinning off Whitley pipe (got some mackerel) and as I work on the Fish Quay in North Shields have been out on my lunch hours a few times floating and picked up some pollock.

I'm wanting to switch it up and try a bit of bottom fishing to try and hopefully get some codling (again off the Fish Quay - or maybe off Smiths or Haven Rocks) but not too sure what I should be using to do it, so looking for advice/tips to get me started...

What are the best/easiest/most effective rig(s) to use?
    Good bait to be using (I've read that peeler crab and lugworm are good for cod)?
    Best times to fish these spots (flood/ebb)?

I'm using a 10 ft AFAW B&L with a Penn Battle 4000 which currently has 12lb mono on it. Should I be switching this up for braid? If so, considering my rod (see below), what gauge line would you recommend? Should I be using a shock leader?
    Where's best to aim for eg. long cast, short cast? Realise my current rod is a little on the small size (rated up to 55g) but any advice on how I could continue to use this in the short term to keep active until I can get myself something bigger wiykd be greatly appreciated. Or would I just be wasting my time?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but as I say, I'm very new to all this, spinning and floating were reasonably straight forward to get going with but this is a bit more technical and I'm getting a bit lost, so any pointers would be much appreciated...

Where to start.....so many things with winter cod fishing so I'll just start with some of the main points. These are just my opinions like and there's a lot on here know a lot more about north Tyne and Northumberland fishing than a Durham lad like me.

1) think about joining a club. Nothing is better than the advice you can pick up by the lads you'll get to know and most will be keen to help a newbie.

2) ability to cast is important although often you don't need big distances if and when you're comfortable on the rocks. Think about lessons from someone like Peter Thain (he offers lessons on FB).

3) Until you're comfortable with what you're doing stick to the piers or the Tyne. Safer and you'll have more chance of catching and picking up tips from others. Your current kit would likely see you alright for that if you can get any reasonable distance with it.

4) if you're going to fish the beaches and rock edges you'll need to upgrade your kit. A decent nick Shimano and Penn if you're using a fixed spool and a beachcaster like a second hand century or zziplex if you can stretch to it.

5) two vital bits of kit to invest in. A decent rod stand and a good head torch.

6) as for baits, this time of year peeler and crab cart do pretty well. Lugworm is a good staple all the way through the season and fish baits like bluey in the new year. Big hooks and big bait if you're after cod.

7) search for posts by Phil itofish on here. His signature has a load of local fishing marks on it and it has been invaluable to me since moving up here. Identify a mark you think you might want to fish and search on here and on google for info. You'll usually find good info on fishing conditions, whether it's a low or high tide mark etc..

8) never fish a mark you don't know alone and at night. Ideally fish it a couple of times in the day first so you see the tides, when to get off etc.. No fish is worth a cold bath you might not want.

Hope that helps a little and good luck.

Robbo

Edit - just noticed your rod is a spinner. No good for winter cod fishing where you'll need something that will cast out 5-6 oz plus a big bait. It'll only really get you away coalfield bashing down the side of a pier I reckon.
    Last edited by robbo1530; 01-11-2015, 10:43 PM.

Comment

OK, thanks for the pointers, Robbo, much appreciated.

I know what I'll be asking for Christmas, then, I guess!

Comment

Originally posted by robbo1530 View Post
        Edit - just noticed your rod is a spinner. No good for winter cod fishing where you'll need something that will cast out 5-6 oz plus a big bait. It'll only really get you away coalfield bashing down the side of a pier I reckon.

"Coalfish bashing" (I'm guessing that was a mistype?) - using a float kit? Can you pick these up off the fish quay, or do I need to be going down to Tynemouth pier? What's the best baits to go after these at this time of year? Might as well give it a go and keep active

Comment

Welcome to nesa m8 I have a shakespear 12ft beach rod you are more than welcome to have to get you started will have to collect though will also give you plenty advice on kit and marks rigs bait just pm me m8

Comment

Originally posted by broon shoe View Post
            Welcome to nesa m8 I have a shakespear 12ft beach rod you are more than welcome to have to get you started will have to collect though will also give you plenty advice on kit and marks rigs bait just pm me m8
            .GREAT GESTURE,broon-shoe.this is what NESA is all about,trying to help out fellow anglers.TOP MAN.welldone.

Comment

Originally posted by regpude View Post
              .GREAT GESTURE,broon-shoe.this is what NESA is all about,trying to help out fellow anglers.TOP MAN.welldone.
              Alreet reg when we gannin to craster m8

Comment

evening broon-shoe.100% atm.,all go,sorry.s/s open this w/end.all my bloody crab peeling,sods law.atleast my blacks are ok,pleased my SNAKE WHITES,look ok.then QUESS what,boss wants decoraters in for christmas,lol.so hopefully its a session up craster in january,possibly THE BLACKHOLE,lol.ps,hope your in good health.

Comment

Nee botha bud best do what the boss says lol

Comment

As someone who's barely past newbie status and also living not far from the fish quay I don't have a lot of advice to share but can help you with where to go.

Definitely avoid the Fish Quay, you'll have a lot more frustration than fun when bottom fishing. It's snaggy as owt!

Instead the best shot for you would be Smiths Dock which is the landscaped area of land past the ferry landing at the end of the fish quay all the way to Royal Quays Marina. There's a few ways to access it, just walk around the fence to see where people have been getting in. It's much cleaner although still a little snaggy and there is a hand rail all the way along which means you can fish without a rod rest. Fish really close in for flatties or a bit further out for Cod and Whiting. Check your tides and don't bother with the river (bar 1 or 2 hours either side of high/low tide) if it's a big tide, your lead will be getting dragged all over. It can get really muddy down there after it rains.

The north pier can sometimes fish better and at other times fish worse than Smiths Dock and will involve a climb over the gates that will confirm that you really love fishing. Not that I've managed one yet but you have a better chance of catching a big fish on there than you do in the river.

Other places I've been to are The Walkway over in South Shields which is a decent mark and South Shields Pier which is accessible for fishing day and night. On the North Side, I have met people who have sworn by the Fish Quay beach next to the car park but blanked when I went. If you're wanting to try the beach then try the old bathing pool in Tynemouth, you can rest your rod on the rail around the outside, it's a high water mark unless you have a rod rest and a big cast.

As mentioned by robbo get a decent rod as you'll know you need it when you start rock fishing and dragging your rig back through kelp.

Research and use rotten bottoms - they'll save you a fortune.

Use shock leader.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Originally posted by RMSN View Post
                      "Coalfish bashing" (I'm guessing that was a mistype?) - using a float kit? Can you pick these up off the fish quay, or do I need to be going down to Tynemouth pier? What's the best baits to go after these at this time of year? Might as well give it a go and keep active
                      bloody predictive text. Should have said coalie bashing, namely fishing straight down the side of a pier with small hooks and 2-3 oz leads for coalies.

Great gesture Broon Shoe - RMSN, BS has helped me out with stuff before so that's a great offer and the rod will be much more suited to winter fishing than what you're using.

Comment

Cheers everyone, great to get some sound advice from those locally in the know. Been wanting to give this a go for a few years since moving to the coast, so exited to be finally diving in and learning something new.

BS, wow, don't kno what to say, that would be amazing, will inbox you!

Comment

Working...
                        X