Which Rig Line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Rig Line?

Alright lads, can anyone recommend a decent 60-70lb stiff mono to use for rig bodies?

I quite liked the grey coloured Greased Weasel as from what I remember it didn't seem to coil/curl up as much compared to the orange and clear versions which I'm using at the moment and which seem to be more limp.

For my snoods I'm now using 30lb Mason Hard Type nylon (which I bought a few years ago after reading about it being used in flyfishing for pike which I originally bought it for) as it's super abrasion resistant and stiff so doesn't tangle easily but I can't seem to find a UK seller anymore and the postage costs will be probably be too high from USA where it's commonly sold.

Cheers

Originally posted by Blankety Blank View Post
    Alright lads, can anyone recommend a decent 60-70lb stiff mono to use for rig bodies?

I quite liked the grey coloured Greased Weasel as from what I remember it didn't seem to coil/curl up as much compared to the orange and clear versions which I'm using at the moment and which seem to be more limp.

For my snoods I'm now using 30lb Mason Hard Type nylon (which I bought a few years ago after reading about it being used in flyfishing for pike which I originally bought it for) as it's super abrasion resistant and stiff so doesn't tangle easily but I can't seem to find a UK seller anymore and the postage costs will be probably be too high from USA where it's commonly sold.

Cheers
    Hi mate I would highly recommend 70 or 80lb blue marlin from uk hooks online been tying rigs with this for the last 4-5years and can not fault it makes a very small knot and is supple but strong and also slightly glows when you shine your lamp on it over a pier wall or in the surf etc.
    My second choice would be club line which I used for many years before I discovered blue marlin just my opinion though
    Weapons of choice
    ZZiplex Bullit Sport (brown unground model)
    Penn Mag 525 Slidey
    Abu 7500 c3 ct Blue

P-B Cod 14lb 12oz North pier Seaham

Comment

For snood line I use 30lb black Amnesia. Memory free and very tangle resistant, the Mason stuff you used to use sounds quite similar
      CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart 1971 View Post
        For snood line I use 30lb black Amnesia. Memory free and very tangle resistant, the Mason stuff you used to use sounds quite similar
        Agree with stewart black amnesia have never used anything else probably the best snood line there is .As for rig body I have been using some asso classic 70lb which I got off a m8 and seems fine up to now

Comment

I like Powerflex personally (Ultima) buy a bulk spool and use it for leaders and rig bodies

Comment

Using Berkeley trilene 70lb be for both rig body and shock leader and never a problem,a friend of mine down Kent uses 70lb sea strike in clear and a bulk spool but becoming hard to find .
            did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

Originally posted by Phil83 View Post
              I like Powerflex personally (Ultima) buy a bulk spool and use it for leaders and rig bodies
              Me to

Comment

orange power flex dude same sort of texture as the grey weasel lad...cheaper as-well, mad how colour makes a line different ..used some sakuma rig body hated that but for snoods been using some asso big catch fluro and think its canny..anyway hows ya y fronts ??

Comment

60lb black Amnesia for rig bodies for me. Don't know why the black feels better than the clear but seems to tangle even less. 30lb Amnesia for snoods.
                  People who live in glass houses have to answer the door.

Comment

Which Rig Line?

Thanks for the replies lads.

I forgot to mention that I also use Berkley Trilene Big Game 30lb fluorocarbon for my snoods and can highly recommend it as it knots very well, is fairly stiff and doesn't kink easily.
                    Last edited by Blankety Blank; 22-11-2015, 11:27 AM.

Comment

rig line

blue marlin rig body 60lb clear sakua shock leader for hook snoods shown this by a very good angler some time ago

Comment

Used lots over the yrs but,blue marlin in 70lb is awesome,very supple,infact it knots superb n is very very strong,tbh it's by far the best rig body material iv'e used,n iv'e used a few...

Snood material for me,only one,black amnesia,supple,strong n above all,bulletproof,the clear appears wiry for me..I use it in 40lb or 50lb for more snaggier venues

Comment

80lb ultima powerflex for bodies and 50lb maxima chameleon for hooklengths. Might seem heavy but much much better than crappy amnesia. Amnesia is nice and supple but fray's far too easily and is not very strong.

Comment

Originally posted by CHUKKA View Post
                            80lb ultima powerflex for bodies and 50lb maxima chameleon for hooklengths. Might seem heavy but much much better than crappy amnesia. Amnesia is nice and supple but fray's far too easily and is not very strong.
                            I use the same rig line, got me thinking about the hook lengths now.

Comment

Working...
                            X