Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn Fathom 15 Help!!

Hi Gents,

After a lot of deliberations I decided to buy myself the Penn Fthom 15 and I'm looking for a little advice please.

Before I load it up with line and start using it is there anything I need to do to it out of the box? Someone previously mentioned to me that the brakes can be adjusted to suit your casting etc.

Any help would be great

Many thanks

Chunty

I always give new reels a quick once-over before using them. First step is to give the spool bearings a clean in lighter fluid then a tiny drop of oil (I use yellow RF but use the oil of your choice) as they're often greased for transport/storage. I don't know if it's still the case but Penns are often stuffed inside with blue grease so may need a more extensive clean, especially round the spindle/pinion area to make sure they're working smoothly and not choked with grease (this can sometimes cause issues with spool not re-engaging properly after casting). Other than that, everything should be fine.

Only other thing to consider is how many brake-blocks you want engaged - on the fathoms there are six fitted & should click on/off as desired.

Gary
    Last edited by g-force; 24-11-2015, 01:11 PM.
    ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
    on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

when I first got my fathom I just went out fishing for the day after putting line on my casting was not that good as the reel did not run that fast in fact very slow.
      next day I got some info on how to do the brakes, set away to clean all that thick blue grease away from inside the reel just using cotton wool buds. cleaned the spindle and got the bearings out put them in lighter fuel for around 15 mins the dried them off and a small amount of light oil before replacement.
      I then clicked 4 of the brake blocks back so the reel now runs on two.
      the reel now runs smooth did the same with my other penn fathom 15 and my m8s penn fathom 15 no problems.
      the only chow is taking the side plate off if you need to adjust, some people have said the brakes click back into place I have never had any problems over the last 18 months with my two fathom 15 since I did the brake blocks
      consett warlord retired

Comment

Thanks for the help gents, I have found a great diagram of how to adjust the break blocks and feel confident that I can do that.

Removing the other side and cleaning the blue grease sounds a lot more daunting however, i'm crapping myself incase I break it.

cheers Chunty

Comment

Working...
        X