whats a good hook these days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats a good hook these days

just wondering what people are using these days.
    i had some good and bad experiences with different hooks.

just looking at buying some new ones and would like to know what people use.
    looking at:-
    cox and rawle (heard these are good reliable hooks)
    Chinu ( very good top hook on pully rig)
    sakuma ( very sharp and seem to hold up)

cheers
    mike

varivas big mouths for me
    have you got a cloth

Comment

Loved the Black Eagle Aberdeens from UK Hooks but I've run out now and the p&P is very expensive unless you are buying a lot of stuff.

Quite like the Sakumas, been using the Stingers with no problems. In the past I've used the Varivas Big Mouth from Veals and again they are a decent hook.

For smaller hooks (1/0 down to size 2 or even 4) I never look past the Kamasan b940, absolutely brilliant hooks in the smaller patterns
      CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Like mustad uptide vikings and kamasan b940's

Comment

just ordered a 100 kamasan b940's and some Amnesia
          should last me a while as never catch owt lol
          just read a view reviews on them seem good time will tell

Comment

Mustard up tide Vikings all the way
            ZZiplex m427, Hulk model
            Okuma trio Rex
            Aerlex 7000xsa
            Penn spinfisher 7500 lc

Comment

Sakuma manta and manta extra seem excellent to me. Also use kamasan aberdeens for flatties in the summer
              "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
              PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Interesting thread. I have been thinking about hook strength a lot recently. There is a lot of discussion about which are the strongest hooks but considering the ground we fish is the strongest hook the best to use ? We usually assume that we lose rigs because the leads get snagged but in my experience it is usually the hooks which get snagged and this shows by the fact that when you get a rig back the hook has usually bent out! If we use rotten bottoms on the leads what are the best hooks to use to allow the hooks to bend out of a snag. I realise that if you have a good fish on that you do not want the hook to bend out but sometimes i think it might be better to get your rig back with a chance of smaller fish than lose 20 rigs with the hope of getting that one pig which never comes. I have thought about using the 940 m match hooks to use thinner wire but they do not go to very big sizes. Any one got any recommendations on 'bendy' hooks around 3/0 or 4/0 ?
                Gear: Old Skool !
                ABU 484 MK I (cork) (1976)
                ABU 484 MK II (Foam grips, spigot) (1977)
                ABU 484C original guides version (1978)
                ABU 484CS Fuji guides version (1980)
                ABU 9000C (1976) upgraded bearings
                ABU 9000 The red one (1974) upgraded bearings
                ABU 7000 (1976) converted to 7000C hybrid ceramic

Comment

Mustad Viking and also varivas big mouth extra. When using smaller hooks I go for sakuma in 1/0 or 2/0
                  Century Eliminator T900
                  Century Eliminator T800
                  Century Tip Tornado Sport
                  Shimano Technium MGS XS-B x 2
                  Penn Spin Fisher 7500LC x 2

Comment

Originally posted by Dilbertd View Post
                    Interesting thread. I have been thinking about hook strength a lot recently. There is a lot of discussion about which are the strongest hooks but considering the ground we fish is the strongest hook the best to use ? We usually assume that we lose rigs because the leads get snagged but in my experience it is usually the hooks which get snagged and this shows by the fact that when you get a rig back the hook has usually bent out! If we use rotten bottoms on the leads what are the best hooks to use to allow the hooks to bend out of a snag. I realise that if you have a good fish on that you do not want the hook to bend out but sometimes i think it might be better to get your rig back with a chance of smaller fish than lose 20 rigs with the hope of getting that one pig which never comes. I have thought about using the 940 m match hooks to use thinner wire but they do not go to very big sizes. Any one got any recommendations on 'bendy' hooks around 3/0 or 4/0 ?
                    Mustad Vikings bend out, as do most Aberdeen patterns. I've landed Smoothhound to 7lb on a size 1 Kamasan b940...
                    CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Originally posted by sean start View Post
                      Mustad Viking and also varivas big mouth extra. When using smaller hooks I go for sakuma in 1/0 or 2/0
                      2/0 a smaller hook Most of my summer rigs are made with size 1 or 2 Kamasans, if I'm really scratching (or Sole fishing - welcome back Seaham North pier) then I'll go down to a size 4
                      CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Matzuo Americas all the way for me - however, just like the Gamakatsu G-points before them, they're no longer available though the few packs I've got left should see me through next winter. Second choice are Mustad Powerworms or Sakuma Atlantics for the rocks; Kamasan Uptides in smaller sizes for flatties & whitings on the beaches.

Gary
                        ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
                        on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

ANY hook,you take out of a 5lb codlings a good hook,imo,lol.

Comment

Whats a good hook these days. There is not one judging by the amount of hooks ive got . Bit of a sore subject with me . Why on earth smaller and smaller barbs , am I missing some thing , surly barbs are meant to keep fish on the hook. In the 90s when I did a lot of match fishing we used the cox and rawle up tide hooks . Never lost a fish once on and ive caught loads of fish. They was a sharp hook with a decent barb. The new ones that they brought out are junk . Any body who can recommend a good hook I would appreciate it. Cheers.

Comment

For catch and release you can't beat Varivas circle hooks, once you get the hang of baiting up and not striking they are the dogs dangly bits. Mustard Vikings and any quality Aberdeens are also good. Cox and Rawle bass hooks (look like Aberdeens but aren't) are way too stiff to sprink out of kelp/rocks.
                              very impressed with some of the Japanese hooks (Ebay is your friend) as they are razor shard and not too pricey.
                              VMC made some crackers, but they are hard to get in sensible sizes (the CHINO in 2/0 is an excellent crab hook).
                              Steer clear of unbranded Chinese rip offs.

Comment

Working...
                              X