X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cart ban ends in Northumberland.

Northumberland Marine Region

Edible Crab as bait Press release

The ban on use of edible crab for bait as a recreational sea angler in Northumberland has been subject to a byelaw by the old Northumberland Sea Fisheries committee and inherited by the New Northumberland Inshore Fisheries & Conservation Authority (NIFCA) who are been charged with a review of all bylaws under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009.

NIFCA consulted with Recreational Sea Anglers (RSA and The Angling Trust Marine region for Northumberland within the NIFCA district when reviewing the old byelaw. As a result a new byelaws was proposed by NIFCA and went through the very a lengthy process of consultation required when proposing a new or revised byelaw.

The Angling Trust Northumberland marine Region is glad to announce the news that Northumberland Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority has revised this byelaw in favor of RSA being allowed to use sized edible crab as bait.

Specifically in RSA terms the use of Edible Crab Cart as bait in Northumberland is now lawful and takes effect immediately

For full details please see NIFCA

Les Weller

Good news for the cart lads Les. Personally I think it's the least effective bait I ever use so they're safe enough from me.

Comment

So can we now also use edible peelers (as long as they're of legal size)?

Gary
      ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
      on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

looks that way gary 100%.

Originally posted by g-force View Post

Gary
        .how can you ever tell if your legal size edible crab is legal size,if its frozen onto hooks,ready to use.thats the way i do them.?..looking forward to beating you,I MEAN,seeing you at n/s match.

Comment

Gary
          NO.
          Just the insides of hard crab.

Comment

Originally posted by regpude View Post
            .how can you ever tell if your legal size edible crab is legal size,if its frozen onto hooks,ready to use.thats the way i do them.?..looking forward to beating you,I MEAN,seeing you at n/s match.
            Yeah, just read the NIFCA release and it looks like we can. I still think the south side will need six rods each, with 5-hook flappers (even with cart!) if they're to stand any chance though....

Gary

Comment

think your right.

Yeah, just read the NIFCA release and it looks like we can. I still think the south side will need six rods each, with 5-hook flappers (even with cart!) if they're to stand any chance though....

Gary
              .but its all about putting faces to names,or names to faces ?.but as usual well enjoy the event.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhacker View Post
                NO.
                Just the insides of hard crab.
                Paragraph (b) of the new by-law states:

"The use of edible crab as bait for recreational rod fishing, where the edible crab used is above the statutory minimum landings size".

I would take this as meaning peelers and softies, above the 130mm carapace width could be used - but like I say, I'd like to make sure...

Gary

Comment

Lets see if the opens allow cart, least yoo won't habe the hassle of getting fresh crab in october/novemeber now, be interesting to see of the weigh ins get bigger

Comment

Originally posted by Philthebag View Post
                    Lets see if the opens allow cart, least yoo won't habe the hassle of getting fresh crab in october/novemeber now, be interesting to see of the weigh ins get bigger
                    .weigh ins can only get better, this time off year,regardless of what BAITS are being used.imo.FACT.

Comment

Do we now allow it in our comp?

Comment

Well done Les.
                        I wonder if many anglers up here appreciate the time, effort, and your own money, that you've put into this ?
                        We all owe you for this.
                        Demons run when a good man goes to war...

Comment

Well said.Big Well Done

Originally posted by tonyfromalnwick View Post
                          Well done Les.
                          I wonder if many anglers up here appreciate the time, effort, and your own money, that you've put into this ?
                          We all owe you for this.
                          Couldnt have put it better Tony,well done on your personal time and efforts on behalf of everyone put into this Les.

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor1 View Post
                            Couldnt have put it better Tony,well done on your personal time and efforts on behalf of everyone put into this Les.
                            Does he sell cart? Haha just joking well done, everyone moans but no one does anything except 1 or 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Stores View Post
                              Do we now allow it in our comp?
                              Can't see any reason not to really David, now that it's no longer against the law - and I'm not a fan of the stuff by the way...

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X