f***ing half-term

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f***ing half-term

my mate and I had planned to get out tomorrow, was thinking south shields pier but have just realised that its half term so the all piers will be full of kids asking 'to borrow' gear as the they have lost the one 2oz weight they bought today, or for some bait because they had not perceived the need for bait when fishing or my favourite the shop didn't have any bait left.
    I am all for encouraging kids to fish but under a certain age they should not be allowed to fish on the pier by themselves, but should be with there parents supervised and protected from injuring themselves or others, and not scrounging and annoying people.
    My mate is new to fishing and is a bit quiet so I don't want him put off fishing by this plague, so has anyone got any suggestions for a good rock mark to do some some spinning or lure fishing off, or maybe somewhere along the tyne or surrounding coast to do some bait fishing that wont be swamped by other peoples little treasures.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions

If people want to add some of there own experiences of kids fishing be they comical or annoying this may alleviate some of my rage
    Last edited by paranoid and surnburnt; 30-05-2011, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Try Dunstanburgh Castle m8, cant guarantee there wont be any choice offspring, but it is a long walk and may put them off, as i say not a cert as there is sometimes a lot of litter along there.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid and surnburnt View Post
        my mate and I had planned to get out tomorrow, was thinking south shields pier but have just realised that its half term so the all piers will be full of kids asking 'to borrow' gear as the they have lost the one 2oz weight they bought today, or for some bait because they had not perceived the need for bait when fishing or my favourite the shop didn't have any bait left.
        I am all for encouraging kids to fish but under a certain age they should not be allowed to fish on the pier by themselves, but should be with there parents supervised and protected from injuring themselves or others, and not scrounging and annoying people.
        My mate is new to fishing and is a bit quiet so I don't want him put off fishing by this plague, so has anyone got any suggestions for a good rock mark to do some some spinning or lure fishing off, or maybe somewhere along the tyne or surrounding coast to do some bait fishing that wont be swamped by other peoples little treasures.
        Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Your being very stereo-typical against juniors there mate, I myself am a junior. Yes, there will the odd young'un that will ask, but we all learn at our own pace when it comes to angling and us kids are anglers of the future, especially us juniors on nesa. They are only young anglers asking for help, not the cast of the 'borrowers'
        South Shields & District SAC

Comment

its the kids drinking cider and cans you gotta worry about
          Cod machine

Comment

Originally posted by kingcod deano View Post
            its the kids drinking cider and cans you gotta worry about
            Exactly mate
            South Shields & District SAC

Comment

It's not just kids that are a problem but ignorant adults aswell, I was out on the pier the other week and it was an adult came and stood right over my son, casting and cracking off over the lads head.

The lad has been fishing for a while now but has common decency to not do this kind of thing, and was put off fishing his spot he was in for fear of casting over other said blokes line.

I would defo say take your beginner friend some where else for the sake/safety of others on the pier, instead of blaming the school holidays and kids.

Comment

I would defo say take your beginner friend some where else for the sake/safety of others on the pier, instead of blaming the school holidays and kids.[/QUOTE]

my mates not a bad caster he gets it pretty straight out, the problem I've had in the past especially on piers is pick out your spot, you respect the other anglers and leave a bit of space, but then on come more people not always kids and squeeze in between you and the angler you've left space between.
                my friends and I if we see a pier is already busy we'll either go fish of the beach or will go find another pier, its just using discretion and respecting other anglers / people, a qualities which some kids and some adults haven't yet been taught or choose to ignore.
                I am claiming that all young anglers are a menace or scroungers, i have encountered some that have polite, very friendly and good anglers, unfortunately, as in most areas of life the majority who behave and are a credit to themselves and there peers are easy to miss in comparison to the minority that misbehave and cause trouble.
                Last edited by paranoid and surnburnt; 30-05-2011, 10:07 PM.

Comment

in my experience the kids that are scrounging bits are not old enough to be there on there own.. Their parents need to understand a pier is not a creche and we are not there to babysit them.

As far as manners go I have to agree with everybody elses comments, age doesn't matter. When I take my son down its the teenagers who really want to help him out and get involved.. And good on them.. Hope my little un turns out like that and remembers the help he was given..

Although when its busy I wont take him cos its the adults who shove him out the way cos they want the spot hes in.. Had loads of disputes with arses shoving him out the way, especially if he catches...

Its not age that makes you a K***. Its being a k*** that does that...

Comment

Originally posted by ohpollocks View Post
                    in my experience the kids that are scrounging bits are not old enough to be there on there own.. Their parents need to understand a pier is not a creche and we are not there to babysit them.

As far as manners go I have to agree with everybody elses comments, age doesn't matter. When I take my son down its the teenagers who really want to help him out and get involved.. And good on them.. Hope my little un turns out like that and remembers the help he was given..

Although when its busy I wont take him cos its the adults who shove him out the way cos they want the spot hes in.. Had loads of disputes with arses shoving him out the way, especially if he catches...

Its not age that makes you a K***. Its being a k*** that does that...
                    Sorry to hear about the kid getting shoved out of the way. Do you mean verbally?

Comment

physically... when you approach these arses they get verbally abusive...

I always joke you need a black belt to fish the Gare when the Macky are in...lol

Comment

Generally speaking it's not the kids that are the main problem on the piers this time of year it's the blokes with bags full of cans getting pi55ed that's the problem. Encourage the kids, the younger ones who are obviously a little bit too young to be allowed on the pier on their own need someone to show them a bit support and advice if their parents don't give a damn about them. I always keep things like old hooks, swivels, line I've taken off reels etc then put them in my bag this time of year, kids usually respond to encouragement. The amount of times I've pointed kids in the right direction then they've caught a few fish they would otherwise have 0% chance of fish. If I have time I even tie a few sets of home made feathers up with old hooks and line and give them to kids on the pier who obviously have been just left to there own devices and need a helping hand. I despair at some anglers attitude to kids, if they don't get a little help and advice some of them will undoubtedly turn into the drunks and druggies of tomorrow. The look on kids faces who have never caught fish because they are doing something wrong then are pointed in wright direction then start catching fish is priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by micky-quayle View Post
                          Generally speaking it's not the kids that are the main problem on the piers this time of year it's the blokes with bags full of cans getting pi55ed that's the problem. Encourage the kids, the younger ones who are obviously a little bit too young to be allowed on the pier on their own need someone to show them a bit support and advice if their parents don't give a damn about them. I always keep things like old hooks, swivels, line I've taken off reels etc then put them in my bag this time of year, kids usually respond to encouragement. The amount of times I've pointed kids in the right direction then they've caught a few fish they would otherwise have 0% chance of fish. If I have time I even tie a few sets of home made feathers up with old hooks and line and give them to kids on the pier who obviously have been just left to there own devices and need a helping hand. I despair at some anglers attitude to kids, if they don't get a little help and advice some of them will undoubtedly turn into the drunks and druggies of tomorrow. The look on kids faces who have never caught fish because they are doing something wrong then are pointed in wright direction then start catching fish is priceless.
                          Hi Micky,

Without gaining the wrath of the forum and being called all sorts of names, I have to say I disagree with what your doing even though your motives are brilliant. We should not be encouraging children that are too young into dangerous situations....

I have been lucky having encouraging parents and hopefully I am the same with my seven year old. I also speculate from your heartfelt comments you are the same. However safety is paramount. If my seven year old was down the pier scrounging bits I would be gutted.. and scared..

However I dont know what the answer is..

all I can think of is my experience as a golfer.. Im a keen golfer and play at a good level. Before I was a teenager I used to get dropped off at the course and would stay there most of the day.. Not because my parents were lazy but because the structure was superb. The senior members (whom were all retired) would be there every day to supervise us. there would be golf competitions with basic prizes. We would be taught etiquette on the golf course and to other members. We would help collect balls, learn about the course and in return we would get tees, golf balls and free lessons from the pro etc. when I became a teenager and was old enough to be on my own I knew the game and how to keep myself and other players safe..

I wonder if the clubs could do more. However they seem to be in decline..

Comment

in response to Micky Quayle I recognise that alot of these kids are there because there parents don't know or care where they are, and that is a disgrace in itself, and it is charitable and probably the right thing to do to assist them and give them advice to hopefully keep them out of trouble and keep them safe while on the pier.
                            Unfortunately when you help one and give them some gear, you then get inundated by other kids thinking that you''ll do the same for them, I am not some miserable sod, but I am also not ashamed to say this and I don't think I am alone in this " I go on the pier to relax enjoy being outdoors, enjoy being in the company of fellow anglers, hopefully catch some fish, return home uninjured with the same amount of eyes as I left with and not have to look after other peoples 'latch key kids' ".

Comment

Originally posted by ohpollocks View Post
                              Hi Micky,

Without gaining the wrath of the forum and being called all sorts of names, I have to say I disagree with what your doing even though your motives are brilliant. We should not be encouraging children that are too young into dangerous situations....

I have been lucky having encouraging parents and hopefully I am the same with my seven year old. I also speculate from your heartfelt comments you are the same. However safety is paramount. If my seven year old was down the pier scrounging bits I would be gutted.. and scared..

However I dont know what the answer is..

all I can think of is my experience as a golfer.. Im a keen golfer and play at a good level. Before I was a teenager I used to get dropped off at the course and would stay there most of the day.. Not because my parents were lazy but because the structure was superb. The senior members (whom were all retired) would be there every day to supervise us. there would be golf competitions with basic prizes. We would be taught etiquette on the golf course and to other members. We would help collect balls, learn about the course and in return we would get tees, golf balls and free lessons from the pro etc. when I became a teenager and was old enough to be on my own I knew the game and how to keep myself and other players safe..

I wonder if the clubs could do more. However they seem to be in decline..
                              its fishing m8 not golf some folk are confused with the sport
                              Panel Pin Champ

Comment

Working...
                              X