Beadnall 2- The return of the Ancient Mariner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beadnall 2- The return of the Ancient Mariner

Vinny (The Ancient Mariner-he's not old, just very cursed) and me decided to have another crack at Knacker Hole, Beadnall. Vin was staying with the family up there, and had no room for his gear, so I lumped all my stuff x2, and met him by the wall.

The hole looked superb; no wind, low water, loads of gulls diving into shoals of sprat-come on you fishies!!! (I'd completely forgotten about the Mariners' heinous curse at this point). We picked our spot, vin started torturing the peeler crabs he'd instructed me to buy (superb batch from North East Tackle in Ryhope), and saying things like' If you don't tell me where dah fishies is, am gonna rip yer legs off...one by one'. It was like a scene from Goodfellas, only wierder.

My crustacean phobia (yes, really; and I don't eat fish....get it all out now lads, yeah heard it all before!!!) kicked in, to my advantage; while
    Vin butchered the peelers (to the tune of 'talk you mutt!) I sorted out the tripods and rigs, ready to recieve a peeler from Vin...for once I was in the water before him...then the curse struck, as per usual.

Vin spent what seemed like an eternity preparing a bait which was so well presented it would have made page 3 in 'Total Sea Fishing', and banged it out to a distance which he said was 'way too short'....

About 3 and a half minutes later Vin gets the mother of all bites, and yep you guessed it, my two rods had come under the aura of his heinous curse, and remained completely motionless...what an utter *****!
    Two minutes later, Vin hauled up a fat codling about 4 pounds. If that wasn't enough, it only had one eye, and a distinctive scar on it's boatrace. Not that unusual I here you say, until I tell you that last year the Mariner caught an one eyed scarred boatraced cod, about 2 pounds lighter....his immortal words at the time were ' gonna put you back little fella, so someone can catch you next year when yer bigger!'. Absolutely and completely typical. What a *****!! He's the only man I know who would have put that fish back, for him to then catch it after it had obligingly put on stacks of weight, then suicidally impaled itself on his hook...which was my hook, my trace, my rod and reel, cos he had no room to bring his up!!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and I caught my usual; a blenny. Not even a big one. It looked more like a small leech. Probably foul hooked it on the retrieve. Brilliant.

Heh ho, gonna try the Wear for flounders/coalie next, will report back.

PS- Even in Beadnall there are chavs; only saw the outline of one, against the fire he and his chav clan had made on the beach, but it's burned into my memory. I will use the WWW and cyberspace to hunt them down, and take them out. I'll leave one alive, to tell all others I'm coming.

Tight lines all
    "Lo, they do call to me; let me take my place among them, where the brave will live...forever". (And drink beer; also forever. And catch some fish).

PBs-
    Shore- 4 lb Cod, 3 lb 4 oz Bass, Dogfish 4lb
    Kayak- 5 lb 12 oz Ling, 2 lb 6 oz Mackerel, 6 lb Pollack
    Boat- 9 lb 10 oz Ling, 7 lb Cod

Rods

1. An old rod brought back to life by fishfingers (possibly a Conoflex Cod 6)
    2. Grey PZ Match MK1
    3. Sonik SKS

Reels

Penn 525 Mag 2 (x2) & Abu 6500 c3/CT/C3 Mag Hi-Speed

nice one mate
    Tich

Comment

mint!

Comment

fancy the chances, me and a friend fished the wear last week, was really good sport on the last of the flood, i managed 11 flounders, my friend 7 and a eel and a rockling... canny 3 hour session, i had 6 in 4 casts, which where in the water no longer than 2-3 minutes... rag a mackerel strip done it for me, only got one on the crab.

Comment

Excellent report....a great read, looking forward to more.

Comment

Great read and well done to vinny on his catch

Comment

cracking read pity about the curse lol

Comment

Working...
              X