Braid let me down again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braid let me down again.

Had a comp on Sunday 12th at Brit Airways car park - North Tyne: See Blackrats report: In brief:-
    Thirteen Adults, and two juniors fished this pegged comp between 11am and 3pm - bright sunshine and brisk wind. 48 fish caught - flounder, dabs coalies and a 28cm smelt:
    Most were into the fish from the off on the rising tide, when both I and Steve Elliott pulled out a 37 cm Flounder each. We thought this may share the prize of biggest caught but how wrong we were: our mate Jason managed to tempt a cracking 44cm Flounder out on rag worm and mackerel bait.
    I was using 25lb braid with a 60lb braid shock-leader but when I got a bight (after having left it to develop a while) I struck to get my breakaway sinker from the river bed the line snapped. I didn’t think the line had snapped at the shock-leader knot. Next cast I managed to trawl my gear back in and examination of the braid recovered confirmed the leader knot was intact. When I checked the line, it had snapped about three feet from the knot – so it wasn’t the knot that let me down just the braid.
    At least I managed to get my gear back in and some spoons to use again. Alas there was no fish attached to the line merely a peeler which went back in next cast to catch me a small coalie. This is the second time braid has let me down in this way – anyone else had similar problems?
    Pierro
    Attached Files

cant remember the last time i fished on the shore but i dont use anything other than braid on the boat and have never had a problem with it (fingers crossed) it could be a dodgy spool of it or something! well done on your catches though!

Comment

Braid Ct'd

Cheers boatangler33, I also always use braid on the boats and have never had any prob's with it. I think the last time out I used this reel with the braid on over shingle/stoney ground at Seaham - not sure if the abraison of the braid over that ground maybee contributed to this situation. On the occasion at Seaham the same happened and I put it down to the ground I was over. Maybe the answer is to go back to mono on the shore and keep braid for the boats. Forgot to mention on my last post Thanks to Blackrat for organising the day and providing decent rag and thanks to Mick Dunn for the photo's. Well done to everyone who turned out. it was a canny day all round.

Comment

Was the braid off the same spool or were the 2 different spools.

I've never had any probs either if its off the same spool it probablys
        just of been a dodgy spool never heard any other lad say they have had
        braid snap on them.
        Feel free to take a look at my blog.

http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.com/

Cheers eddie t

Comment

Peter i have had no problems mate with braid. Use 50lb on the boats and i was using Ron Thompson 17lb from the riverside. Seems strong as anything.
          If you have lost twice on the same spool i would bin it and buy some more. I get the stuff from China its 10 quid a spool off flea bay.
          I do know people who hate braid and people who love it.
          Mick.
          ps The Ron Thompson braid was part of the rod and reel set i bought from Sea Angler.
          Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Braid C'td

It was the same spool on the same reel that I used last time out at Seaham. I can't remember what make it was. maybee the ground I was fishing over at Seaham caused a couple of weak areas in the braid. I have Berkley Whiplash Crystal on my boat reels and have never had a problem; I just can't remember what braid this is that let me down this time.I'm gonna replace the spool now - not sure whether to up the new braid to say 60lb straight through then I won't need a shockleader or to go back to a decent mono. I just like the effect of the braid, because of no stretch it keeps you in touch with everything that's going on and tying a braid shockleader to braid mainline gave me an extreemly small leader knot rather than tying a mono leader to the braid.

Comment

Cheers Mick, I'm gona bin it (jst typed my last post before I read your comments) I'll up it to 60lb or so I think, that way can fish it straight through without a leader.

Comment

Originally posted by pierro View Post
                It was the same spool on the same reel that I used last time out at Seaham. I can't remember what make it was. maybee the ground I was fishing over at Seaham caused a couple of weak areas in the braid. I have Berkley Whiplash Crystal on my boat reels and have never had a problem; I just can't remember what braid this is that let me down this time.I'm gonna replace the spool now - not sure whether to up the new braid to say 60lb straight through then I won't need a shockleader or to go back to a decent mono. I just like the effect of the braid, because of no stretch it keeps you in touch with everything that's going on and tying a braid shockleader to braid mainline gave me an extreemly small leader knot rather than tying a mono leader to the braid.
                Sound like its just been a dodgy spool mate.
                Feel free to take a look at my blog.

http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.com/

Cheers eddie t

Comment

I have learnt my lesson with cheap chinese braid. 30lb was parting to easily when on the boat. No problems at all now with power pro.

Comment

why i use good old catgut
                    Panel Pin Champ

Comment

It possibly would but then again it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. I like the contact you have with braid. For others further interested in the subject having looked around I came across the following as a guide for equivilant diameters: (I take no responsibility for the accuracy of this info - I'm sure there will be varients for different brands of each but this is a general guide.
                      Braids and Equivalent Mono Diameter
                      Sufix Performance Braid
                      6 / 2 lb. 10 / 4 lb. 20 / 6 lb. 30 / 8 lb. 50 / 12 lb. 65 / 17 lb.
                      80 / 20 lb. 100 / 25 lb. 130 / 40 lb.
                      Berkley Fire Line braid
                      - ultra low stretch 14/6 Lb. 20/8 Lb. 30/12 Lb.
                      Berkley Big game
                      30/8 Lb. 50/12 Lb. 65/15 Lb. 80/17 Lb. 100/20 Lb. 130/30 Lb. 200/50 Lb.
                      I do take your point though dumbledore. Thanks

Comment

Sorry to be a pain, but where is that mark on the North Tyne?
                        "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
                        PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Working...
                        X