sea angler vs TSf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sea angler vs TSf

alright guys just want some feedback ..i subscribed to sea angler last yr and recevied a 'highly recommended' reel. having that reel last me exactly a year (the handle has fallen off now )i have now cancelled my subs as the offers are not great. i bought tsf read an article about a particular fish and it gave me a fair bit of specific infor regarding rigs conditions tides and baits. . i then also read sea angler re the same species and to be honest there was nothing specific regarding targeting the species. then again i am no tsf regular...which mags do u think are betta value for info and money ? cheers guys ...( i aint tryna start ww3)
    Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
    Kompressor SS /slosh30
    tt sport /525 mag

Like both but TSF for me mate, like reading the chucking section in particular, I think sea angler tried it but it seems to have disappeared at some stage. Having said that sea angler has had some good coverage of NE fishing.

Comment

sea angler for me, seems to contain alot more infoand as said quite alot of features etc on the N/E

Comment

Subscribe to both,find them both to be good read and get some good info from both,but as above sea angler pips it for NE coverage.

Comment

both too repetative for me so only buy them now and again.
          have you got a cloth

Comment

I have stopped buying both. They always have the same old story lines which I have tired of reading. They NEVER give you the specific time of year when they fish a particular venue they write about.
            The tackle reviews are so one sidedly biased (particularly Alan Yates of Sea Angler) as they are getting paid handsomely from the manufacturer advertising their stuff. Just think about it, why would they slag off a rod/reel which they are advertising on the next page? For accurate, up-to-date information, you can't beat sites like this and my favourite for any honest tackle info which is World Sea Fishing - tackle & equipment forum.

Comment

don't get them any more, got sick of reading [catch bigger bass] week after week after week, there's more interesting threads and posts on here.

Comment

Fishing Mags

I used to subscribe to both but soon got bored of reading the same old articles year in year out. On a positive note a first time subscriptions did get you a free gifts.
                Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

Comment

I used to buy sea angler back in the mid-late 80's, but to be honest while the adverts were great for sourcing good tackle deals, they did take up a lot of the mag and once internet shopping was truly established, paper adverts became a bit obsolete. The articles were usually pretty good, but there's only so many years you can go before it all becomes too repetative - okay, that's the nature of our sport so it's obviously not going to change drastically overnight.

I don't bother with any fishing mags at all, haven't in over a decade. As I'm not a die-hard regular I get more benefit out of the likes of NESA for an instant picture of what's happening and where in the areas I'm likely to fish, with the added bonus of a good laugh or heated rant along the way

Comment

Originally posted by tonybax View Post
                    both too repetative for me so only buy them now and again.
                    my thoughts exactly and sea angler might as well be called bass angler in which there is far to many adverts in.

Comment

I buy both magazines each month, but hands down i would choose Sea Angler every time.
                      South Shields & District SAC

Comment

Same here all the sea angler is about now is bass fishing there used to be a canny section on boats but it seems to be dwindling down this forum is best for reviews in my opinion have learned a lot more than from a magazine
                        Cod machine

Comment

Sea angler seems to be repeating itselfover the years and being overcome with adds. TSF for me!

Comment

Originally posted by neil1964 View Post
                            I have stopped buying both. They always have the same old story lines which I have tired of reading. They NEVER give you the specific time of year when they fish a particular venue they write about.
                            The tackle reviews are so one sidedly biased (particularly Alan Yates of Sea Angler) as they are getting paid handsomely from the manufacturer advertising their stuff. Just think about it, why would they slag off a rod/reel which they are advertising on the next page? For accurate, up-to-date information, you can't beat sites like this and my favourite for any honest tackle info which is World Sea Fishing - tackle & equipment forum.
                            I agree with most of that. Why should we pay £3.50 (or whatever it is) when the likes of Alan Yates (and the magazine of course) is getting his pocket lined with gold for promoting gear which is probably ****?
                            I do think that with all the advertising in the mag...(50% of the mag?) and the cover charge, surely they could give decent independent reviews without backhanders and sponsors.

That said, I do like the info on local marks they produce regularly, tho I'm not sure where they get it from. One month when the weather was still arctic, they said that deep water marks like Cullercoats could produce cod into double figures... Is this the same Cullercoats where I'm from?

As for TSF, every month they do a comp for £300 worth of fishing gear. Well I entered it with and I got my photo in there for a sandshark I caught in Gambia, I didn't enter to win, just to get me photo in there.
                            But what I did notice is the guy who won, was part of the editorial staff from PlanetSeaFishing.com.... do they just circulate the prizes between magazines, so nobody externally stands a chance of winning?

Comment

Used to buy both, but only buy Sea Angler now. I enjoy it, and the advertisements IMHO don't affect my read at all....I am one of these people that understand that unless the magazine had ten zillion readers every month, then the £3.50 cost of the magazine could not be sustained, and would be substantially more...
                              And what is wrong with bass fishing?....It's given me a reason to get out of the house in the summer sea fishing, rather than just relying on waiting til the winter when the cod return in numbers.
                              I also think that the magazine has become very good at promoting conservation, and I agree with a lot of what Alan Yates has to say.
                              Regarding boat fishing, if I want to know how many hundreds of cod are being caught by private and charter boats, I can look on here!
                              "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

Working...
                              X