abit of advice if you never been to dunstonbrough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abit of advice if you never been to dunstonbrough

having never fished the castle me and my fishing bud went this morning, half way along the walk it lashed down. undetered we kept going till we reached the mark. very fishy looking spot i have to say but we never got to try. those black rocks were lethal when wet and my mate almost ended up in the drink after slipping trying to get to the ledge. It was a good 30 foot drop with no easy way back up and a canny swim to shore, Anyway my nerves were shot then and we decided to leave. after walking all that way we were gutted but just couldnt risk it.
    i'll go back but only when bone dry!

didnt fish elsewhere was soaked through and p1ssed off!

I know lots of guys have nerves of steel on these type of marks but if your like me and a bit sensible don,t go when its wet.
    Last edited by steak and kidney pie; 16-06-2011, 01:49 PM.

I feel for you mate, the weather was terrible up here, i work outdoors and was soaked to the skin, i wouldnt be fishing the rocks in that either, anyway nevermind. How much more ****ed off would you have been if you blanked after all that or even worse if one of you slipped and hurt yourselves. At least you got a feel for the mark for next time
    "Im going fishing tonight"
    "Are you mad?!"
    "I must be"

Comment

Thats what we thought, my mate thought he had done himself some damage when he hit the deck but luckily was just sore for a while. would'nt fancy walking the mile or so back to the car in agony from a busted elbow!
      I will go back looks a cracking spot, is cullernose the same in the wet? I assume so. makes you think whats the best shoe/ tread combination incase it does rain when your already there!

Comment

you did the right thing mate.

Comment

Originally posted by steak and kidney pie View Post
          Thats what we thought, my mate thought he had done himself some damage when he hit the deck but luckily was just sore for a while. would'nt fancy walking the mile or so back to the car in agony from a busted elbow!
          I will go back looks a cracking spot, is cullernose the same in the wet? I assume so. makes you think whats the best shoe/ tread combination incase it does rain when your already there!
          By the sounds of the place it's a pair of running spikes you'll need

Comment

ya done the the right thing lads, soaked to the skin and sliding about with a 30ft. drop. not very tempting.

Comment

bare feet are the best on those rocks when wet but avoid the limpets and barnicles but you,ve got to be hard as nails [rock] hard
              Rodbuilding & rod repairs

Comment

Originally posted by fish fingers View Post
                bare feet are the best on those rocks when wet but avoid the limpets and barnicles but you,ve got to be hard as nails [rock] hard
                Thats right hardcore fishing not for pu$$ys fred flintstone style stan str8 to the bedrock !.
                Last edited by Davey-m; 16-06-2011, 07:41 PM.

Comment

i always wear decent boots when up on them or for that matter any rocks, wet or dry. i have been on me ass a few times as well. Walking on the rocks in the wet i take my time but i find it's when casting you have to be the most careful, i always make sure my footing is secure before casting. At the moment are a pair of waterproof Eiger are my boots of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by matchman
                    Keen do some cracking boots too
                    just had a quick look and they look canny, prices ok too.

Comment

i was wearing trainers, thought they would grip on the dry rocks better..........was not expecting rain! to be honest i dont think it matters any shoe would have slipped it was so greasy, almost as bad as the dreaded green slime/weed.

Comment

Do felt soles grip on that type of rock? I know they are amazing on slimy freshwater boulders, ok in sand but dangerous on wet grass!
                        "I mock thee not, though I by thee am mockéd.
                        Thou call'st me madman, but I call thee blockhead"

Comment

word of advice even on a hot scorching days if the rocks are bone dry on the lower rock marks ,take your bucket etc you take with you and fill it up with some sea water pour it over the rocks yours standing on and see how slippy that gets its a nightmare some places so never fish any rock marks in the rain it may save your life knowing
                          Panel Pin Champ

Comment

dont worry lesson learned, maybe could do with a sticky subject on here with little nuggets of advice on safety like you guys have gave. I know its normally a suck it and see approach as no-one wants to say they bottled a mark but it may stop someone from going that little bit too far.
                            we were sensible and left, others may not.

Comment

Originally posted by matchman
                              Lesson learned there buddy...even when it's dry, a decent pair of walking boots will serve you better. They will also support your ankles...trainers are a no no matey...
                              I have to disagree on the trainer front- ive done quite alot of climbing and even worked at a climbing wall and ive never see anyone wearing boots! For me a light thin pair of trainers with the softest sole are the best, its all about having a feel for the grip you have. Just like tyres on a car- less tread = more surface contact = more grip.

In the wet no matter what you wear you will be sliding about.

Comment

Working...
                              X