7HT turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7HT turbo

Last couple of times I've used it sometimes it seems that when casting the spool release doesnt engage/disengage? anyway makes a noise like its catching the cogs.

then when you try to reel in the handle turns but not the spool, pressing the spool release on and off and turning handle sorts it and its will then be ok for a while.

Ive had it "serviced" but the problem is still there, anyone any ideas?

Send it back mate

Comment

It's a common problem with Daiwa 7HT's (all flavours) and easily fixed. You probably need to fit a pinion support sleeve, best place to get one is Blakdog: Daiwa 7HT Pinion Support Pin - fits all 7HT Models
      CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Originally posted by garyp View Post
        Last couple of times I've used it sometimes it seems that when casting the spool release doesnt engage/disengage? anyway makes a noise like its catching the cogs.

then when you try to reel in the handle turns but not the spool, pressing the spool release on and off and turning handle sorts it and its will then be ok for a while.

How old's the reel mate and how often do you use the reel?

Comment

Originally posted by garyp View Post

Had similar a few years back with Abu 6500 Sports Mag and got it serviced with an upgraded spring. No bother since. Hope it helps

Comment

Sounds like it Could it be a broken or weak spool release button spring.

Comment

Got the reel second hand, so not sure of its age, but its not been used that much. Ive only used it 3 or 4 times.

First time it happened I though oh **** Ive casted out without pressing the release button, made hell of a noise..

Its intermittant though, so thats why I put it in for service, not sure if this is something they would look at?

Ive done the pinion support in me standard 7ht, didnt know that it would help with this issue like?

Maybe the spring sounds more likely, not sure? I'll take it apart a bit later to see.

cheers for the pointers so far guys.

Comment

Just asking as I've had mine for around 3 years and use it weekly without any problems, a nah whats ganna happen now like!

Comment

Originally posted by g.ordon View Post
                  Just asking as I've had mine for around 3 years and use it weekly without any problems, a nah whats ganna happen now like!

I av seen you using yours all the time mate with no probs, always seems to do you the business, as did mine before a swapped it.

Al never get how can use your reel so far up the butt though, some canny distance between the butt cap and reel seat, some 4ft or around that area, you must be the 'unknown' friendly neighbourhood hero,,, Stretch ArmStrong!!

P>S> Garyp, there could be a problem with the catch mechanism the re-engages/dis-engages the freespool for cating and reeling in, so when you press the button and cast oot, you cannot re-engage the spool. That or as other people have said the spring has gone to push the freespool button back into place...
                  South Shields & District SAC

Comment

as malcolm tucker says i would try the pion support sleeve they only cost coppers and andy rutherford may have them in his tackle shop if he is near by for you.

or if you are near houghton-le-spring you can try my pion support sleeve to see if it fixes it for you.
                    did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Tucker View Post
                      It's a common problem with Daiwa 7HT's (all flavours) and easily fixed. You probably need to fit a pinion support sleeve, best place to get one is Blakdog: Daiwa 7HT Pinion Support Pin - fits all 7HT Models
                      Dont suppose anyone has the dimensions for this sleeve do they?
                      Was thinking of making one from a better grade material.
                      (Not that I know what the orig material is but have some phos bronze lying around)

Comment

cheers mate, I'll try the one from me normal 7ht, see if that does it.

When I get a chance I'll take the side off and look at the sppring/button mechanism see if it looks knackared.

just got hold of a 7ht mag, so the turbo may be relegated anyway. lol

Comment

This might help:

7HT Mag spool engagement - World Sea Fishing Forums
                          CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Cheers mate, I'll have a look through

Comment

Just to update:

Think I've found the problem.

The reel has had an "upgraded" power handle fitted, its the same as the ones on slosh's. Big handle one end and counter weight at the other

Ive noticed when i press the spool release and move the reel upside down etc the handle moves and causes the release button to "half" engage, the spool is light so the handle's weight must be enough.

So it looks like with the motion of casting its making the handle spin and this is re-engaging the spool release.

Time to swap some handle round!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X