pulley rigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pulley rigs

alreet marras? just been wondering about pulley rigs ( the standard pulley rig) i have read that it should be made with the same line thru and thru eg i use 60lb line as its the same as my shockleader...i have made it before with 60lb line on the sinker bit and 25lb memorex . now i have had this discussion with a mate who reckons the sinker bit should 60-80lb based on ur leader and the snood bit be made with lighter line say maybe 20lb mono ...not specified to memorex which is low stretch ...now my argument is that as the pulley is clipped down the strai of the sinker wouldalso transfer to the snood end . now my mate states that the 80lb line streches less than the lighter line so it should be ok ..but if i was then using low stretch snood mono would that then not snap in a powerful cast ? just to hear ur thoughts on the matter if there is any serious disadvantage/detriment to using 60-80lb line on the snood end do fish get put off by it ?cheers.
    Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
    Kompressor SS /slosh30
    tt sport /525 mag

the snood takes a fair bit pressure when casting on a pully, also the swivel can cause a kink in the line... so the fox pully beads are advised for that, i like them.

But i use 60lb for my lead, and 30 or 40lb for my snood... summer or winter, and thats amnesia so its pretty stretchy in my opinion. No harm in higher breaking strain on the main body as it does have to bend 180 through the swivel getting the full pressure of the cast onto it...

each to their own

Comment

If you have been using your own made pulley rigs without problems, why doubt your own regardless of what a mate uses. If we all always listened to our mates we would be in a mess IMHO, everyone has there own way, I use 50lb straight through for everything without any problems.

Comment

As long as you tie the rig correctly so that the top two swivels are as close as possible, when you go to cast the sinker length will slightly stretch and these two swivels lock together, transferring all of the casting force down through the sinker length, which should be of appropriate breaking strain for the weight you are casting.

Problems occur when the two top swivels are tied so that they never lock together under casting (ie hook length is too short), as then the casting force is split equally between the sinker length and hook length. This can cause the hook length to break. However you are still only going to lose your hooks, the important bit is the sinker will still stay attached as the top two swivels will prevent the sinker flying down the beach at 2 leptons, which can be dangerous!
        Drowning worms since 2007.

Comment

I tend to use 100lb for all my rig body's as I dont use crimps and just tie a knot either side of my swivel on normal 2 up rigs, so on a pully i'd use the same 100lb but have 60lb as my snoods especialy if i'm swinging the lead, I have used 40lb before for the snoods but only use it if i'm lobbing it off cliffs or rocks where you dont need a huge cast
          www.home-improver.com
          Where quality counts

Comment

does this mean that fish aint to bothered about the snood ?

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
            Kompressor SS /slosh30
            tt sport /525 mag

Comment

I use 65lb rig body and 50lb snood. I agree that half of the "strain" of the cast is on each leg of the rig. I have used the 40lb amnesia in the past for the snood but I find it stretches too much and on the odd occasion it's snapped
              Also, an amnesia snood snapped on me 2 weeks ago loosing me a match winning fish

Comment

Originally posted by clarky View Post
                I tend to use 100lb for all my rig body's as I dont use crimps and just tie a knot either side of my swivel on normal 2 up rigs, so on a pully i'd use the same 100lb but have 60lb as my snoods especialy if i'm swinging the lead, I have used 40lb before for the snoods but only use it if i'm lobbing it off cliffs or rocks where you dont need a huge cast
                Ive had 80lb snap a few times so the few times i do use pulleys i up it to 0.9 -1 mm ie 100lb bs minimum. If you use a stop on the heavy line then there is very little strain on the actual hooklength, i tend to use 40-50lb most of the time.

Be extra careful on your choice of swivel make sure its thick enough in the wire or the swivel can cut through the heavier line linke a knife!!

Personally i hate pulleys and find you miss way too many fish but they do have a use when fishing over ledges or when you have to drag fish over dry rock!

Comment

Originally posted by CHUKKA View Post
                  Ive had 80lb snap a few times so the few times i do use pulleys i up it to 0.9 -1 mm ie 100lb bs minimum. If you use a stop on the heavy line then there is very little strain on the actual hooklength, i tend to use 40-50lb most of the time.

Be extra careful on your choice of swivel make sure its thick enough in the wire or the swivel can cut through the heavier line linke a knife!!

Personally i hate pulleys and find you miss way too many fish but they do have a use when fishing over ledges or when you have to drag fish over dry rock!
                  I don,t like Pulley rigs,but if i do use them i put 10 turns of telephone wire on the lead length next to the swivel.
                  This acts like a fixed rig when a fish takes the bait,but will slide down under the wieght of the fish on the retrieve.I get a lot more hook ups.
                  The lead length is 80lb and hook length is 50lb,with 150lb swivels.

Comment

i honestly think the reason pulley rigs are popular is on account they are streamlined for casting and biggest factor is they are very easy to make.

i use them from time to time but not a real lover of them.
                    did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

Originally posted by codcatcher3000 View Post
                      does this mean that fish aint to bothered about the snood ?
                      Yer mate I dont think the fish are to bothered especialy during winter when the waters quite coloured anyway.
                      www.home-improver.com
                      Where quality counts

Comment

well thanks guys for ya advice....one last thing ...how important is the pulley bead....i never used them before but fancy giving it ago..u guys reckon its worrth the price?

2014 combo:
                        Kompressor SS /slosh30
                        tt sport /525 mag

Comment

Originally posted by codcatcher3000 View Post
                          well thanks guys for ya advice....one last thing ...how important is the pulley bead....i never used them before but fancy giving it ago..u guys reckon its worrth the price?
                          They just make the line slide through easier, and a bigger area for the line to take the pressure of a cast, as mentioned earlier... think wire on a swivel can slice through even the stronger 80-100lb lines...

get a small pack and try them... you might like or may not, but they aren't essential

Comment

i like buying stuff to try out ..and will probably get myself a pack with some imps as well...

2014 combo:
                            Kompressor SS /slosh30
                            tt sport /525 mag

Comment

Working...
                            X