"Sharkatag 2011"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Sharkatag 2011"

I was fishing the first day of "Sharkatag 2011" with Tom aka Toonfireman. We launched from Sandhead in his boat Joshua shortly after 07.00am. We headed out a short distance and dropped our mackerel lures over the side. First drop we were into them and quickly had enough for our hookbaits. Tom had prepared the rubby dubby the day before.

Off we headed to the Ardwell bouy and down went the anchor with our rubby dubby of mashed up mackerel attached. We did not have long to wait for tope action and Tom was first in. It seemed like a real good fish and he was gutted when the hook pulled out.

Tom was next in again,this time with a thornback. It was quickly returned to the water.

Next in again was Tom,this time with a dogfish.

Eventually I got a good take and leaned into the fish. I was using circle hooks for the first time so did not strike as usual. After a spirited fight I got the 17lb fish to the surface. It was duly tagged,photographed and carefully released.

Tom was next it and again the fish threw the hook. Oh well thats fishing !!!!! Next in was Tom again with another thornback,it came in upside-down as the line was caught around its tail.

Again I had another good take and after another good scrap got the 20lb tope to the surface. It was quickly tagged and released and away it sped.

Things went a bit quiet so we decide on a move. On lifting the anchor we found that the rubby dubby onion sack had had a real mauling by the tope. On the way over to Sandhead platform we stopped briefly to get some more mackerel bait. It was here that Tom pulled up a really nice tub gurnard.

Once anchored up we settled down for the expected tope action. Nope it was Tom and his thornback chums again.

We decided to tag this one

Over the day Tom managed 6 skate to my none. He also brought in a few doggies to my none. Those tope can be sly at times,never felt the tope munch my bait in half.

Things went really dead so I decided to jiggle by bait a bit. It resulted in an immediate smash hit off a tope and another good scrap from a 20lb fish. Duly tagged and released.

During this time Tom hooked the smallest tope I have ever seen,it was far too small to tag so it was quickly released By this time,with the wind getting up we decided to call it a day. We had been out nearly 8 hours so it was a good call. A cracking day out in good company with 3 tope and 1 thornback tagged.

Many thanks for a great day out Tom

John
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Value photography - Geordiepix

Mull of Galloway digs recommend http://www.clashwhannoncaravanpark.co.uk/

nice one john (your pulling some funny faces)
    just on my way out for a days fishing cod,,cod ,,and more cod

Comment

great report and pics,well done on the catch!

Comment

wd

wd lads and great pics

Comment

great report and pictures lads,looks like ya had a great days sport.

Comment

gurnard look nice and fat...the other fish look even better
            Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
            Kompressor SS /slosh30
            tt sport /525 mag

Comment

Originally posted by codcatcher3000 View Post
              gurnard look nice and fat...the other fish look even better
              Everything was returned that day apart from the mackerel. Mind you Tom did concider keeping the gurnard for his tea but in the end back it went.

John

Comment

Cracking report nd pics John
                "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

A bit more info for you all. Just after the Sharkatag event the "Onyermarks" lads were fishing deep water to the west of the MOG and they had a large tope badly bitten by ?????? Check out the thread/photos

The shark mark - World Sea Fishing Forums

shark/bull seal/orca who can say,but it has stirred up a lot of interest. Also on the same trip an angler got a 170 lb common skate. WOW what a trip !!!!!!!

John

Comment

fishing heaven.it dont get much better than that.

Comment

With it now proven that big common skate are now back to the west of the MOG it may mean winter charters from the "onyermarks" lads could be a possability. It would certainly extend their season.

The lads who fish there a lot all know that some sharks are about but how many ??? Its only a matter of time before one is caught - and released of course

John

Comment

Awesome report mate, some cracking pics of fish there.

Comment

Just been talking to 4 Geordie lads who have been renting a caravan here on the Clash site all week. Three days were unfishable due to the weather but they had some decent pollack and wrasse on the other days. They also told me that a lad had a 43lb tope and a good thornie from the shore.

They fished a Crammag mark and got buzzed by a pair of peregrines as they accidently got too close to their nest. Also they said that a big basking shark passed under their fishing platform just a rods length away. Now thats what its all about.

John

Comment

great photos and some nice fish
                            we were fishing at the ardwell bouy on the friday on the kayaks had a nice tope about 20lb myself and a few thornies then the wind got up and we had to paddle back to new england bay well done jeff

http://www.kayakfishingshack.co.uk/[B]

Comment

Working...
                            X