rag and vermiculite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rag and vermiculite

does anyone find that the worms are rather ready to die when stored in them and that they just help blanking ...i find that the worms bleeds and bubbles when u get them in this stuff ...i always seem to fare better when the worms are in peat or plain old paper....any thoughts?
    Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
    Kompressor SS /slosh30
    tt sport /525 mag

he mite know the answer if they perform any different but i dont know who he is

YouTube - ‪Shore angling - Ted's Top Tips #1 Ragworm‬‏
    Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
    Kompressor SS /slosh30
    tt sport /525 mag

Comment

I find it the other way round every time i get them in peat there blowing there mouths cant get it in vermiculite from billys or Lewis tackle i think its just poor rag or old rag.
      You can only catch what's in front of you

Species of 2012: Eel pout, Whiting, Codling, Flounder, Dab, Coalie Eel, Rockling Launce, Pollock, Mackerel, Weaver Fish , Granny Fish.
      Species of 2013 Codling, Dab, Whiting,

Comment

If I remember rightly when I visited a bait/worm farm down wales they told me its because There has just been too much oxygen in the water and thats why they bubble when threaded on hook.
        www.home-improver.com
        Where quality counts

Comment

Hi Codcatcher,
          I think the problems you are having may come from using farmed worms ? Iv'e been using vermiculite for about 40 years and have never had any of the problems you seem to encounter.
          However I only ever use wild ragworm. Usually I keep them in water tanks, then take what I need for a fishing session out of the tanks, dry them on newspaper for a few minutes then put them in the vermiculite. If I have any worms left I leave them in the vermiculite and in the fridge. Usually they keep OK for about a week. I never put them back in the tanks once they have been in the vermiculkite.

Comment

Ha Ha just watched that link to YouTube........................I think that bloke knows how to "use his loaf" !!

Comment

Originally posted by BAZACODBASHA View Post
              Hi Codcatcher,
              I think the problems you are having may come from using farmed worms ? Iv'e been using vermiculite for about 40 years and have never had any of the problems you seem to encounter.
              However I only ever use wild ragworm. Usually I keep them in water tanks, then take what I need for a fishing session out of the tanks, dry them on newspaper for a few minutes then put them in the vermiculite. If I have any worms left I leave them in the vermiculite and in the fridge. Usually they keep OK for about a week. I never put them back in the tanks once they have been in the vermiculkite.
              Thats a good idea, what do you use to oxygenate the water? a through flow system or just aireoator? and do you keep them in a fridge or just cool place in the garage somewhere.... 2 more questions too, do you feed them and how long would you keep them in the tank for?

sorry for the 20 questions just curious... a PM would be usefull thanks

Comment

You don,t need to keep them aerated.
                Put them in a big cat litter tray with just enough water to cover them,they will last for months like this.About 40 small or 20 large to a tray.
                Just check for any dead ones and change the water once a week.Keep a thermometer in the fridge and have the temp at 40F.
                No need to cover the tray to stop them escaping if the water is kept cold enough,they just lie dormant.It works just as well for whiteworm.
                When you want to use them,layer in newspaper for a couple of hours to dry then in to vermiculite.
                Its best to riddle the vermiculite first to get rid of the fine dust,as this can choke the worm.

Comment

Working...
                X